PDA

View Full Version : The poll to divide a universe ... Decking timber ... grooves up or down?

Sir Stinkalot
22nd February 2004, 05:08 PM
There is no doubt that this is going to be one of the most debated polls ever seen on these woodworking boards ….. sure we have seen some wacky polls already but the answer to this question seems to handed down from generation to generation.

Ok Sir Stinkalot …. So what is this hot question?????

“Decking timber ….. grooves up or grooves down???? That is the question”.

I know that there are reasons for both but I would be interested in hearing from those more enlightened than myself before I take the plunge myself.

This question is even bigger than the meaning of life!

outback
22nd February 2004, 05:19 PM
Answer C: Alternate

Remeber you can please some of the people some of the time but That oughta get everyone talking!

Answer D: Random

A true artistic interpretation of nature at her finest!

Gumby
22nd February 2004, 05:24 PM
Down = easier to keep clean, looks better

Up = ungoodlooking

Sir Stinkalot
22nd February 2004, 05:29 PM
But up provides an interesting visual texture over a larger area. It is loverly to walk over the texture side in bare feet.

Shane Watson
22nd February 2004, 06:08 PM
From a manufacturing perspective they are designed to be placed facing down. What people choose to do when they get them home is up to them. But to keep from voiding any warrenties, its suggested to follow manufacturers guidlines.......

SteveI
22nd February 2004, 06:10 PM
Grooves down - allows air to circulate between decking and bearers.... deck lives longer.

Having the grooves up collects a lot of dirt and debris and allows water to sit. I assumed having the grooves up would make it non-slip but found when I did this on a on a ramp it made no difference at all... but in freezing weather it allowed water to collect and turn to ice, with unpleasant results - flat surface up... the water would have run off.

Steve

DanP
22nd February 2004, 06:24 PM
Aside from the visual aspects and the fact that they're designed to point down, they are unsafe when pointing up as the grooves make them more slippery when wet. Something to do with physics - Same weight over less surface area = more pressure. Or something. http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys_1/biggrin_2.gif

I like them better down too.

Dan

bitingmidge
22nd February 2004, 07:05 PM
But up provides an interesting visual texture over a larger area. It is loverly to walk over the texture side in bare feet

Particularly if it has been shot down with T nails and the odd splinter popped up.

Interesting visual texture is highlit (high lighted?) by the mildew and gunk in the grooves too!

P

Robert WA
22nd February 2004, 07:40 PM
Against the trend, I believe they should be laid on edge.
OK, so it takes a lot more timber to cover a given area but just think of conversations it would start.

Hugo
22nd February 2004, 07:52 PM
I think it depends on whether or not your getting paid to put the deck down or not,

Paid;
customer always right, " Looks good up or down sir/madam".

For yourself;
I think always down.

And also is it just me or am I the only one who has to endure the news of the " great idea to put grip on decking timber" , story from mates building decks.

derekcohen
22nd February 2004, 08:05 PM
As Shane and Steve pointed out, the groove goes down.

This is not an issue of aesthetics but one of construction. The groove permits the circulation of air, otherwise you will end up with rot.

On the other hand, you may be happy to replace your boards every few years.

Regards from Perth

Derek

bitingmidge
22nd February 2004, 08:58 PM
you will end up with rot

Now we are getting close to the truth!

Was going to use some barb about rot on the internet, but couldn't find a suitable smilie to "make it alright".

Can't believe that no one carries a can of primer any more. Can't remember the last time I saw one on a job that wasn't mine in fact! Must be getting old (sigh).

If all joining pieces of timber were treated prior to being nailed together, there wouldn't be any need for flash grooved timber in the first place!

Call me old fashioned, but I won't build a deck on joists that haven't been primed first, at least along the top face.

On the same theme, I shudder when I see perfectly expensive deck timbe going down, to be oiled "later". Can anyone enlighten me as to how one overcomes the differential movement, cupping, splitting etc, if the "bottom" face of the board has not been finished at all...grooved or not? (Unless the boards are to be left untreated.)

cheeers,

P

Driver
22nd February 2004, 09:51 PM
I'm with Robert - on edge is the way to go.

If you maintain spacing of about 100 mm between timbers and lay them diagonally to the main span of the deck, you can create a challenging "Adventure Trail" for your guests to negotiate between the barbie and the outdoor table setting. This also gets around the issues of:

a) using too much timber for a given area, and

b) accumulation of water and subsequent mildew, rot, gunk, ice etc.

Col

Barry_White
22nd February 2004, 10:23 PM
I voted down for all the good and right reasons already stated.

But I am amazed at the number of posts in such a short time.

journeyman Mick
22nd February 2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Hugo
I think it depends on whether or not your getting paid to put the deck down or not,

Paid;
customer always right, " Looks good up or down sir/madam".

"And if you'ld just like to sign this waiver,asking me to lay the decking wrong way up, contrary to manufacturer's specifications I'll get started".
Nowadays in this litigious world you can't afford to not do things exactly by the book. I can just imagine that the wally that insisted you lay the decking the wrong way up wouldn't hesitate to sue you if he slipped on the gunk built up in the reeding, or worse still if he fell thru a rotten board.

Mick

RETIRED
23rd February 2004, 01:42 AM
Also if you lay them on edge at 100MM spacings it would act like a cattle grid and keep all wildlife out.:D

derekcohen
23rd February 2004, 02:58 AM
Why stop there? Dig them deep on end, sharpen to a fine point, and use them to keep your mother-in-law from the beer fridge.

Taking cover in Perth

Derek

Eastie
23rd February 2004, 08:52 AM
Definitely grooves down – that way when you overindulge just a little on the brandy and barbituates and nod off on the deck when you wake up in the morning you haven’t got the grooves imprinted on your head http://www.ubeaut.biz/dizzy.gif Also spew doesn’t pool, it just runs through the cracks – except for the chunky bits of course. If JimmyH had have passed out on a deck with the reeds down he might have rocked on!

These alone are the three main reasons for laying the decking with reeds down.

(PS. as has been said above prime and seal bearers, joists and the underside of the deck + use malthoid of similar & use suitable timbers = long hassle free life. You could skip this and do a half arsed job in half the time though :D )

arose62
23rd February 2004, 11:32 AM
I thought the idea was similar to the Incra fences, and allowed you to have variable spacing between the decking.

Lay the first layer grooves up, and the second layer grooves down. The grooves serve to interlock the two layers.

If you want the decking spaced out a bit more, just shift it over one groove. No more of this mucking about with using a nail as a spacer.

Geoff Sims
24th February 2004, 02:31 AM
I built a deck about a year ago out of treated pine screwed to steel joists. Ignored all the advice and put the decking on grooved side up. Looked good and was nice to walk on until the first rains came.

Every single board cupped, the edges of some of the boards lifting as much as 5mm. Not so nice to walk on after that as the boards rocked as you stepped on them (only one screw in the middle of each board at each joist). It looked like crap too.

Had to replace the worst of the boards and turned all the others over and screwed then down again. Have had more rain since and the deck is still nice and flat and looking good.

This experience tells me that treated pine decking is specifically milled to be placed grooved side down. Won't make that mistake again.

Cheers

journeyman Mick
24th February 2004, 12:07 PM
I notice that none of the 5 people that voted for laying the decking grooves up have posted a response in this discussion. C'mon, let's hear it now, and we'll have a bit of "universal division" (apologies to Stinky) :D

Mick

Wood Borer
24th February 2004, 01:57 PM
Mick,

You are way out of touch. Don't you understand the new untrained/unqualified customer focussed corporate approach?

You see the likes of you think that before you answer a question, you think you should know what you are talking about or perhaps have experience on the subject or be qualified before answering the question. Old hat son.

Nah the new way is to give an qualified confident sounding opinion even if you don't understand the question. The answer of course must have an angle that will suit you or your corporate employer - ie $$$$$$$$.

It must work because all the big corporates in Australia employ such people and pay them very well. Their salaries are subsidised by the savings made on discontinued training. That is why we are all satisfied happy little consumers.

So stop having a go at the people who gave answers about something they knew nothing about. They were trying to be helpful, it was only their advice that was a in error. Anyone taking their advice won't find out in the near future - give them a go.

- Wood Borer

Sir Stinkalot
24th February 2004, 02:05 PM
I voted for grooves up because I think that they look better.

When I was living in Ballarat they were installed grooves up there and slippage wasn't a concern. There were large gum tress in the backyard and they didn't seem to make the mess spoken about. Even with Ballarats high rainfall there is no sign of rot after about 15 years. The joists were covered with a tar like membrane before the decking was laid. When walking across the deck you do go perpendicular to the grooves rather than parallel so perhaps this reduced the slipping.

DaveInOz
24th February 2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Wood Borer
Mick,

You are way out of touch. Don't you understand the new untrained/unqualified customer focussed corporate approach?

You see the likes of you think that before you answer a question, you think you should know what you are talking about or perhaps have experience on the subject or be qualified before answering the question. Old hat son.

Nah the new way is to give an qualified confident sounding opinion even if you don't understand the question. The answer of course must have an angle that will suit you or your corporate employer - ie $$$$$$$$.

It must work because all the big corporates in Australia employ such people and pay them very well. Their salaries are subsidised by the savings made on discontinued training. That is why we are all satisfied happy little consumers.

So stop having a go at the people who gave answers about something they knew nothing about. They were trying to be helpful, it was only their advice that was a in error. Anyone taking their advice won't find out in the near future - give them a go.

- Wood Borer

They were asked for their opinion, not for their expert advice. The natural assumption for people is that the grooves go up for grip. Thats how it works on their stairs. If it was for air flow/ drainage then wouldn't the joists, bearers etc have the same? Based on knowing these things the logical answer is up.
Incidently I never gave it a second thought until reading a post ages ago on this forum, that is the only reason I knew to vote down.

Sir Stinkalot
24th February 2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by DaveInOz
They were asked for their opinion, not for their expert advice.

True .... I don't really care if they are experts or not. I was interested in knowing which way people would put their decking timber if given the choice. I know that the grooves should go down but I prefer up.

I am sure if you go into any timber yard and ask 5 salespeople which way the deck goes 3 will say down and 2 will say up or down or whatever. I have seen on the crappy DIY shows on tv that they say it doesn't matter which way they go.

If its such a problem having the flat face down .... why is there decking timber flat on both sides???? Oh my God it must rot in front of your eyes.

As for opinion vs expert advice ... come on .... its bloody decking timber. If it goes the wrong way who cares ..... its not like I am asking advice on how to rewire a house and some monkey is jumping in and saying that it is best done outside in the rain.

Just more food for thought.

Stinky :)

echnidna
24th February 2004, 05:08 PM
I'm flabbergasted at how many of you have got it all wrong.

WHO CARES if it lasts a bit longer with the grooves down

THE REAL REASON for having yer grooves up is ter catch yer beer if yer slips. It'll lay in the grooves long enough to get down and lick it all up.

Wood Borer
24th February 2004, 05:34 PM
Dave,

I had not given it any thought either until I read the thread. If you had asked me prior to the thread I probably would have opted for grooves facing upwards. I would have been wrong though and perhaps tilted the scales so that poor old Stinky would have done the job incorrectly and had rotted out decking when he returned from his honeymoon.

Because I didn’t know, I didn’t vote until I had researched the subject. I am grateful to those who have enlightened me on one of the many subjects that I am ignorant about.

That’s what this BB is all about learning and helping plus a bit of fun and humour.

I reckon this BB has the potential to turn ignorant grumpy people into informed happy people. Well perhaps in most cases!!!

Echidna, spilling beer is highly irresponsible. Someone at work once suggested a stubby holder with a built in gyroscope so the stubby/can would always remain upright. There was the problem of tilting it to drink out of though.

- Wood Borer

bitingmidge
24th February 2004, 10:02 PM
If its such a problem having the flat face down .... why is there decking timber flat on both sides????

Hmmm... but, on the other hand if it's not a problem having the groove side up, why isn't there decking timber grooved on both sides????

Maybe you could avoid all this lovely debate by using CFC sheet and tiling over it?

P

journeyman Mick
25th February 2004, 12:11 AM
Woodborer,
how do I get myself one of those jobs? I know absolutely nothing about lots and lots of things and would quite happily make erroneous statements if someone was willing to pay me to do so, hell if they paid me enough I'd be quite happy to make erroneous statements about subjects I did know something about.

Mick

Wood Borer
25th February 2004, 08:33 AM
Mick,

Look for ads from a really big telecommunications company, a really big airline company, a large hardware chain, government jobs …….. they employ heaps of people like that – gee I almost forgot the banks.

I won’t go on because this BB is for woodwork – an activity where those types are very thin on the ground which is another reason woodwork is so great.

Stick to your woodwork and building Mick, at least you can lie straight in bed and have the satisfaction doing something useful and helping people.

Or were you after one of those jobs where the gyroscopic stubby holder was discussed? Qualified, experienced and half mad are the pre-requisites there but not ignorance.

- Wood Borer

Sir Stinkalot
26th February 2004, 02:05 PM
I noted with interest that in the bunnies catalogue that came last night that they showed both the treated pine and merbu decking grooves up in their hand sketched images.

ozwinner
26th February 2004, 03:44 PM
What do you expect from Bunnies, they only employ morons, and no!
I dont work there.
http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys_1/grin.gif

Cheers, Allan

Hugo
29th February 2004, 08:48 AM
Ah yes but morons with the correct attitude will not remain morons for long.
I was told that when building stairs that grooves should be made under the treads so as they would not buckle.
Using that info I asumed the grooves on decking where for the same reason.
Maybe a lot of assumptions have been made here, maybe if there has to be a winner and loser here then its the decking manufacturers are the winners and the frustrated authors of some of these replies are the loosers.
Lighten up people, up, down, black, white does it really make a difference?
If its your deck then its your decision, I now think there both right.

Iain
29th February 2004, 09:20 AM
'Bunnies' grooves down, why? So they don't slip off your arms while you're carrying them out to the car!
As for the gyro problem and tilting the aforementioned receptacle, all one needs is a short length of flexible material that is tubular in construction. Supermarkets carry these devices and are more commonly known as Straws.

Shane Watson
29th February 2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Sir Stinkalot
I noted with interest that in the bunnies catalogue that came last night that they showed both the treated pine and merbu decking grooves up in their hand sketched images.

Its called marketing...Quite simply the DIY public (who bunnies market too) are only familiar with decking boards thanks to the ripples. To show the picture with the groves down would give the image that it was just normal dressed timber, people wouldn't come to bunnies to buy the stuff then cause they see the DIY shows on TV using the rippled stuff. Show them what they know and they are happy.

bob w
6th April 2004, 11:21 PM
Most of the manufacturers/distributors I have done business with have stated that the reeded side should face down. This is for all the reasons already stated (air circulation around joists and deck, more surface area so less chance of slipping etc) However whilst mediating on a claim due to poor performance of decking screwed to a metal joist system I was amazed that the manufacturer,distributor and the reps from forestry could not agree on which way it should have been laid.:(

julianx
18th April 2004, 12:43 PM
After reading all the previous posts and carefully considering everyone’s opinions and needs I believe I have the perfect solution. Fix the decking to the under side of the joists with the grooves facing up. This would allow air circulation without compromising stinkys aesthetic and tactile needs, it would also hold even more spilt beer and waking up in your own vomit wouldn't be a problem. The joists would also slow the in-laws dash to the beer fridge down. This design would also have the added bonus of pleasing the architects out there as they love completely impractical design solutions (don't laugh I recently did a roof for an architect where the custom orb was screwed to the underside of the battens which were in turn fixed to the underside of the portal frames)
But seriously folks I generally only use ironbark decking, it has no grooves and lasts longer than anything else on the market

julian

echnidna
18th April 2004, 03:29 PM
julianx
Wotta great idea. It even stops the grandkids toys from running over the edge into the garden. Now if it has a slope as well we can hang a bucket under the ends to catch all the spilt beer.

bob w
18th April 2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by ozwinner
What do you expect from Bunnies, they only employ morons, and no!
I dont work there.
http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys_1/grin.gif

Cheers, Allan

I do! Thanks a lot.

Bob.

jackiew
22nd April 2004, 10:42 AM
This is where i fess up that when me and the boy built our outdoor table at christmas we used reeded decking, grooves up, for the top because everything else of suitable dimensions at bunnings was such poor quality. I do not joke when I say that about 90% of the stuff we pulled out was unsuitable for much more than firewood. Wisely the staff ignored the fact that I was wrecking their nice tidy timber store in my search for good pieces.

Why grooves up .... well all the illustrations of the stuff being used seemed to show the grooves up :-( although I will confess I was a bit bemused about this as common sense says that water and dirt would sit in the grooves. As the table doesn't slope ( well not intentionally anyway ) I forsee it won't become a heirloom ... Oh well we can always build another table when it rots away.

It was a useful experience for both of us as we modified the dimensions and then I had to dredge up my 30year old recollections of geometry and he had to see that it does in fact have a practical application.

incidentally ... if you used the bunnings leaflet on making an outdoor table and followed the instructions slavishly you would end up with a table that would be so heavy it would take about four people to move it round the garden.

silkwood
22nd April 2004, 10:23 PM
Just to add something different, I recently pulled up some old(ish) decking which was in fairly good condition, nailed grooves down. Apparently with a nail gun. I say this because, upon pulling it up, each and every face which had laid against a bearer had been forced flat by the pressure of nailing. No airflow here.

Cheers,

Marc
12th July 2004, 11:45 PM
I built a 12m x 3 meter veranda all in treated pine grooves up 3 years ago and it is perfect as the first day, conceded it is all under cover yet it gets wet occasionay with big and windy rain. It is a pain to claen if you want to use a broom. I just use a big noisy blower to the delight of the neighbours.

I also built a cubby house for my daughter some 8 years ago. It is up in a large maulberry tree. The way up is through a ladder that goes on a long winding walkway and suspended bridge all made out of grooved treated pine grooves up. Now that one is not under cover, it is in the open and under the maulberry tree. I don't think there is a place that would get more gunk that that one, the ammount of fruit and bat droppings is collosal and the timber gets black. The rain washes it all after the fruits stop dropping and I have yet to replace one single board. No cupping no nothing.
Must be my luck!

HappyHammer
13th July 2004, 10:56 AM
I built a 7m x 4m deck beside my pool and because it was going to get wet from the pool as well as rain I put the grooves up fully aware of all the reasons to put the grooves down. I treated and sealed all the joists and double nailed the ends of all the boards and none of them have cupped or split and it's been down a bit over two years and had two summers worth of salt water on it. I also put down a trim around the border of the deck grooves down to create a contrast which looks good (if I do say so myself), this also covers cuts I made along the fence which is at an angle so nice and tidy. I have a large Jaccaranda in my garden (:eek: I know I'm an idiot putting a pool in a garden that has a Jaccaranda!) which drops loads of leaves and blossom but I also use a blower / vac and it cleans up well.

I reckon if you want it to look good (IMHO) put them up and do what you can during the build process to lengthen it's life but being aware that it probably won't last as long as if you put it down. When people come round and say "You've put them down the wrong way" reply with "I know looks good doesn't it". If they persist just ask them to leave.:D

HH

silentC
13th July 2004, 11:06 AM
Yes but the argument is which way it is intended to go: grooves up (wrong) or grooves down (correct). It's pointless to attempt to introduce logic to the discussion. You can argue the pros and cons all you like. It doesn't matter what it looks like or how long it lasts - the fact remains that you've laid it upside down.

:D

HappyHammer
13th July 2004, 11:14 AM
Ok Sir Stinkalot …. So what is this hot question?????

“Decking timber ….. grooves up or grooves down???? That is the question”.

Take your point SC but the question doesn't say anything about which is correct.:p

HH

Honest Gaza
13th July 2004, 12:06 PM
Had a large timber deck built about 8 years ago and with little knowledge at the time, assumed that the grooves were meant to go up for "grip" purposes. Since then I have discovered that if your foot is moving in the same directions as the grooves....forget about grip.
I also spent several hours brushing on some American Redwood coloured stain which looked beautiful at the time.

8 years down the track and I would love to change the colour of the deck but see it as impossible to sand back the timber due to the nature of the grooved finish ( I could be wrong ).

A couple of years ago while watching "Backyard Blitz", Scotty the builder advised the correct reasoning for putting the grooves down ( air flow etc ). As such, when a balcony decking had to be replaced by my Home Builder due to rotting bearers ( under warranty ), I insisted that the pine decking be installed groove down. Apart from the air flow issue, I can repaint it as many colours as I like with easier surface preparation ( even allowing for the earlier comments in relation to painting 1 surface only ).

Marc
14th July 2004, 08:56 PM
Having had my go at what I have done and got away with, I have one question and one point to make.
A) If one wanted to get rid of the grooves, is it feasible to punch the nails further in and sand the grooves away with a big floor drum sander thingy?

B) About this 'theory' of grooves down for "airflow".
Provided that you have nailed the boards lake a lady, delicately enough for the grooves still to exist under the boards, I concede that some air may squeeze down there, but so will water. I rather have the joists with bitumen or other stuff to protect them from water, and no pockets for additional water to stay there forever. I find this idea that air will somehow find it's way between the boards nailed with a ton of force against the joist, a bit what to say ... aloof.

tony2096
14th July 2004, 09:26 PM
I didn't notice anyone mentioning another reason for "grooves down" that I read somewhere: water on the underside of decking has a greater tendency to drip off a grooved surface compared to a smooth one. This would reduce the time the timber is damp and hence extend its life.

Is this true?

Driver
15th July 2004, 12:53 AM
I didn't notice anyone mentioning another reason for "grooves down" that I read somewhere: water on the underside of decking has a greater tendency to drip off a grooved surface compared to a smooth one. This would reduce the time the timber is damp and hence extend its life.

Is this true?

Theoretically. The grooves provide a series of narrow curved surfaces. This discourages water from clinging onto the timber through surface tension. In still air conditions, a smooth flat surface might provide sufficient area to retain some water in contact with the surface for an extended period. This would lead to greater penetration of moisture and extended drying time.

jackiew
15th July 2004, 10:23 AM
I read somewhere: water on the underside of decking has a greater tendency to drip off a grooved surface compared to a smooth one. This would reduce the time the timber is damp and hence extend its life.

Is this true?

"Drip Groove-. A semicircular grove on the underside of the drip cap or the lip of a window sill which prevents water from running back under the drip or sill. ... "

window and door sills in uk have grooves routed into them ... surely they wouldn't do it if it didn't work?

Barry_White
15th July 2004, 11:06 PM
"Drip Groove-. A semicircular grove on the underside of the drip cap or the lip of a window sill which prevents water from running back under the drip or sill. ... "
This is standard practice in the building industry even on high rise buildings on precast and in-situ concrete on window sills, patios etc. usually done as a "V" groove.

Kris.Parker1
5th August 2004, 11:45 PM
Grooves down allows for better ventilation - who thought up the "its better grip" whn grooves up idea? Grooves up means EASIER TO DAMAGE!

hexbaz
9th August 2004, 08:53 AM
Hmmm... but, on the other hand if it's not a problem having the groove side up, why isn't there decking timber grooved on both sides????Ah, but there is! ... http://www.ajsmith.clara.net/deckinghardframes.htm

Barry_White
9th August 2004, 10:26 AM
Ah, but there is! ... http://www.ajsmith.clara.net/deckinghardframes.htm
Bit expensive to export to the land of Oz.

hexbaz
12th August 2004, 10:14 AM
Bit expensive to export to the land of Oz.:D I was not suggesting that such a thing would be exported to Oz, just answering BM's question - "why isn't there decking timber grooved on both sides????"

The grooves are down on my decking, by the way. :cool:

E. maculata
12th August 2004, 12:35 PM
Grooves down, although it's my belief the Rough head finish came first the reasoning second. An old timber merchant told me this a few years ago when PJK was prime minister in an attempt to help our fledgling "timber value adding" sector he imposed a tarriff on all finished timber products, but not unfinished. So the Yanks/Canadians etc came up with "rougher head dressing" on one face only to avoid the duties as it was not viewed as finished product but rawer resource. And the consumers were given some "interesting" (including reduced glare off batons for the roofing guys)reasons for the finish by enterprising sales staff, as popularity grew, our domestic manufacturers had to follow suit.
If what he told me is correct would this not be a classic case of "The Emperors New Clothes"? :eek:
Another reason I tend to think there is some truth in this besides PJK did do the tarriff thing, is that as Marc said, if airflow was the crucial point in using this finish, the grooves should be deeper and wider Ala decent T&G flooring. But then again its only Pinus species (AKA noxious weeds) and the quicker it rots the quicker you can replace it with real timber :p

glock40sw
12th August 2004, 03:33 PM
G'day All.
We produced 110x30 reeded Spotted Gum decking for export to japan. They installed it reeded side down. this allows airflow, waterflow and adds to the life of the joists due to the limited likelyhood of fungus developing.
Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor
Grafton

HappyHammer
12th August 2004, 03:36 PM
Hey Trevor....is that your gun?

HH.

glock40sw
12th August 2004, 08:19 PM
G'day HH.
Yep sure is. I shoot IPSC open division
Glock model 22 originally in 40 S&W.
Johnny Howard bought the 40 barrel from me in the buyback (stealback) I replaced it with a 357 Sig barrel, Cmore sight, and a KKM comp.
Goes like a dog shot in the ****.
Hooroo

goat
16th August 2004, 12:04 PM
thanks for the great thread i'm about to start a 12x4 metre deck i was going to build it reed up ,but now will do it the correct way thanks for helping me avoid a stuff up that will be one less in the project:rolleyes:

HappyHammer
16th August 2004, 12:09 PM
Dare to be different Goat put it reed up!

barrysumpter
22nd August 2004, 08:18 AM
Have a read thru my posts regarding my Octagon Deck made from Merbau.

Heaps and Heaps of details regarding training and choices.

Reeds Down. Reasons as stated.

Biggest seller was the grain in the Merbau. Absolutely fantastic!

Felt the reeds up would diminish the visual effects of the grain.

hexbaz
22nd August 2004, 04:36 PM
Have a look through my posts regarding my Octagon Deck made from Merbau.Where are these posts, please? I have looked at all 29 of your posts and cannot see any reference to decking. Perhaps you could add a link, rather than just say "Have a look through ..."?

Thanks.

Edited to add link to Barry's Merbau post: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=979

Took me a while to find that link Barry! Mainly because you have helpfully changed your id from barrysumpter to BarryGSumpter. I therefore humbly suggest that in future you add a link to posts you reference. Saying "See my post on ..." is not enough if your id changes in the mean time. ;)

Lovely octagonal deck, by the way! :cool:
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_4957", true); </SCRIPT>

barrysumpter
22nd August 2004, 05:50 PM
Hi hexbaz,

Thanks for the time you took to chase up the post and posting the hyperlink in your reply.

Couldn't sort out how to change my email address after changing because of 300 junk mails per day. So had to create a new userid.

My search is always on key words like 'Sumpter' or 'Octagon'.
I'm glad you sorted it out.

Of couse that was only one of the posts regarding the deck.

I've a couple of family friends ( yes I have friends - although they don't admit it ) who both placed reeds up - one for safety of traction, who later regretted it. Says it catches everything and its hard to clean. Painted a few times.
Treated Pine.

Another, who had father and two brothers in the building industry, and left NO space between the decking boards. :eek:
After 10 years its turned a fantastic silver grey.
And has only had to change 1 board.
Partially covered. And very close to beach. At a holiday house.
Jarra.

kiwigeo
22nd August 2004, 06:21 PM
Against the trend, I believe they should be laid on edge.
OK, so it takes a lot more timber to cover a given area but just think of conversations it would start.
A nice bit of sideways thinking there.

Shane Watson
22nd August 2004, 06:39 PM
Couldn't sort out how to change my email address after changing because of 300 junk mails per day. So had to create a new userid.

Did ya talk to Neil, or myself? It shouldn't have been a problem for any of us. :confused:

barrysumpter
22nd August 2004, 08:23 PM
Hi Shane,

Thanks for stepping in.

My second or so post as barryGsumpter addressed this. :p
I didn't mind at the time.
But now it seems I should return to BarrySumpter.

But, if you get the time, want, and energy, please do. :D

Shane Watson
22nd August 2004, 10:02 PM
Hi Shane,

Thanks for stepping in.

My second or so post as barryGsumpter addressed this. :p
I didn't mind at the time.
But now it seems I should return to BarrySumpter.

But, if you get the time, want, and energy, please do. :D

Well, I'm confused :confused:, I thought you said you changed your email but couldn't alter it under you barrysumpter login so you changed to barrygsumpter with the new email....but after researching, both names have the same email address attached to them.

Send me a PM if I am missing something...

barrysumpter
23rd August 2004, 08:02 AM
:)

One step further Shane:

----

barrysumpter, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

----

Could have happened when I changed my email...

Any thoughts?

:)

Shane Watson
23rd August 2004, 06:34 PM
Try it now Barry. PM me if there is any probs.

barrysumpter
24th August 2004, 08:56 AM
Yep!

Cool!

I'm back...

wayneo75
27th September 2004, 05:13 PM
back to the poll,

i always thought down till my old man in his wisdom place the first 10 rows upside down (which was on the edge closest to the pool) as a non slip area so my "not so sure footed" mum would not slip over when getting out of the pool.

routermaniac
26th November 2004, 10:12 PM
Agree with all,

The small deck that I made for my shed to sit on, I decided to lay with the grooves up...hard to explain but the overall effect looks great and as another member said, having been properly primed there is no rot :D :p .

But the "right" way is of course grooves down :D .

ribot
20th December 2004, 08:14 PM
Personally I would place them groove down then set my circular saw at 3mm cutting depth and proceed to cut across the length of the decking so as to provide drainage then carefully paint between the cuts with non slip (gritty sand type) paint, probably orange colour/flouro for night time safety. Oh and don"t forget to quadruple nail to each joist for a good tight grip that won" let go.