PDA

View Full Version : From guest to member,

whittlewomyn
6th July 2008, 01:02 PM
Hello, i have been a guest here for about a year, i got the guts to join this week.:B
I love this forum, it has been so helpful, interesting, funny and most of all inspiring.
I am an amateur/beginner, don't know much, not much help, but i love whittling, carving, but most of all, i love wood..........lol:B
I am from WA, used to carve yonks ago in my high school years, i have only taken back it up in the last year and only made a dozen or so pieces, they are not that good, i do not display them, i have showed a couple of people(that know nothing about woodcarving/whittling) and they like them.............haaaa.:U
I will keep chipping away, mainly for my own satisfaction, love of wood and what i do...lol
I have a mental health disability, so it is part of my own personal therapy. Of course my counsellor is my encouragement.............(she is one that knows nothing about woodcarving/whittling)lol.:roll:
Nice to be here. :U

Ashore
6th July 2008, 01:35 PM
Hi whittlewomyn welcome to the forum
, I rekon your proberly too critical of your own work so take some pics of your pieces , we all want to see them
Rgds
Russell

whittlewomyn
6th July 2008, 03:02 PM
i don't think you do..........:B

here goes, and i know i'll be sorry...............:doh:

MALPT
6th July 2008, 03:16 PM
I think they're great whittlewomyn :2tsup: - well done, welcome, and happy whittlin'

JMB
6th July 2008, 06:11 PM
I think they are great carvings. I especially like the bear. All very nicely formed. Welcome to the forum

tea lady
6th July 2008, 06:21 PM
Hi Whittle womyn. Don't be scared of us. I was, and still am on the scale of things, a biginner. They only say nice helpful things here. And you know they really like you when you appear in one of Allan's jokes.

You little sculptures are great.:2tsup:

billym
6th July 2008, 06:53 PM
Gday whitle womyn:the all look great. I like the dolphin nice form, kep up the good work and more picsplease:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::)

Incoming!
6th July 2008, 07:09 PM
Hi Whyttlewoman - welcome! Very nice carvings!

Ashore
6th July 2008, 07:29 PM
see I told yah , and BTY the carvings are great all cutting edge stuff :D

RufflyRustic
6th July 2008, 10:00 PM
Hi WhittleWoman

A big Welcome! You are showing a lot of raw as well as refined carving talent there, imho. Wonderful stuff, I keep expecting the owl to blink at me.:)

Oh please do post more photos of your work. :2tsup:

cheers
Wendy

artme
8th July 2008, 01:27 PM
Welcome to the house of miscreants whittlewomyn! :D:D:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Great first up post!

flynnsart
8th July 2008, 03:33 PM
Welcome to the forum, I like your carvings. They are always trying to get more posting activity going in the carving section, dont be shy. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Donna

whittlewomyn
8th July 2008, 11:36 PM
Thank you for the welcome and the kind comments, i have seen some beautiful carvings on these forums, so many talented people here. More pics....????..........jeez louise, maybe when i get more guts to :-)
Some of my pieces will be displayed for mental health week...........scary cos they have so many mistakes up close.........oh well.
thanx.

RufflyRustic
9th July 2008, 09:24 AM
Hi WhittleWoman,

I still have one of the first picture frames I ever made. It's totally out of square, has very gappy mitres and while it may not hang in pride of place in my home, I will never get rid of it, because I look at it, laugh, blush and remember/appreciate where I started from. :) I also have a 'fred flintstone' box, it may look great, but there are so many mistakes in it, another little reminder that each mistake is a whole heap of learning, oh, and fun :U

Sometimes I reckon making a mistake is like finding/earning another grey hair or wrinkle - it means we are living and experiencing life to the fullest. - well, in my humble opinion anyway.:B

cheers
Wendy

Ozkaban
9th July 2008, 09:36 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I really like those carvings - especially love the bear.

Cheers,
Dave

lubbing5cherubs
10th July 2008, 01:52 AM
Welcome to the forum. You will find everyone here very welcoming to us girls the guys are great so need to be afraid. Feel free to post in whatever forum you want they are kind and very helpful. I love your carvings there nothign to be ashamed of. We all have to start somewhere and that is a fabulous start. I love your animal forms.
bye Toni

handyrn
24th August 2008, 03:35 AM
Welcome aboard,
Like your carvings. I like the silhouette of the person. I think that we all have to start somewhere. This forum is great and I keep learning every time I visit. I tend to think that woodworker's are all great and the willingness to help, instruct and support is unmeasurable.
Cindy:U

schaf
24th August 2008, 06:06 AM
Welcome aboard. Sorry I missed this thread first time.
Your carvings look great,will no doubt see more as time goes by.What type of finish do you prefer to put on your carvings.

Terry

Wild Dingo
24th August 2008, 10:40 PM
yeah were all that... some are happy go lucky types some are mean grumpyarsed old gits some young dum an you know...

And some of us are even worse!! :2tsup:

Welcome whittlewomyn... mmmm Mandurah eh??... mmmm just up the road eh?... mmm can I hear the majik word?... ROADTRIP??? :U

Okay onto more serious stuff... age? height? weight? measuremen :o ...ahem Shane pull yer head in yer dopey wombat!! :B ...ahem as I was saying... the carvings are wonderfull no seriously!! As a bloke whos madkeen on anything wood related Ive tried me hand at carving... a tiny bit :roll: and its not that easy a thing to get right... which you appear to have achieved in the blurry photo :doh:

Seriously though as Wendy (Ruffy up there) knows full well I do like me sheilas in red leatherette :; You'll do real well dressed like Wendy dresses cheeky lassy that she is :; :2tsup:

Anyway as one of the more astute and debonair sorts of fellas here I say a hearty welcome!!! :2tsup: Just ignore the other numbnuts!! :q

Cheers
Shane

PS... Wendy Im plannin a trip over your way around Chrissy... you and boofhead gonna be home an willing for a visitor from the wilds of West Aussie?.. mmm okay better go make me own thread eh Shane? Too bloody right you dopey bungarra!... ahem apologize to whittlewomyn for the slight hyjack :doh:

whittlewomyn
24th August 2008, 11:52 PM
too funny Dingo, but i'm not into guys, love em just in a different way ;-), sorry to disappoint.
would love to meet up though when you are around these sticks.

Wild Dingo
25th August 2008, 12:35 AM
HEY!!! Who said anything about love???? good grief woman!! :o

When I asked them questions and muttered about the red leatherette Wendy girl Iwas just murmuring to meownself I was!!... Im like that just a curious sorta fella you know :;

Takes all sorts to make this world go round I reckon :2tsup:

Christopha
25th August 2008, 01:22 PM
When talking red leatherette the Dongoling is actually trying to be diplomatic..... he actually is just well upholstered. ;)

Wild Dingo
25th August 2008, 10:58 PM
When talking red leatherette the Dongoling is actually trying to be diplomatic..... he actually is just well upholstered. ;)

NAH IM NOT!!!... lost a shyteload of excess weight over the last 6 months mate... a mere shadow of me old self I am... sooo whats that mean?

MORE BEDDERAH LOOKIN!!! :2tsup: :U Unlike yourownself yer cloud munchin chrome domed git! :q

tea lady
25th August 2008, 11:08 PM
So should we expect to see you in your red letherette g-string on your visit to the East?:C

BobL
25th August 2008, 11:14 PM
It sounds like folks you need to visit Jatt in Bendigo - he's offering for all to bare with him all see

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=794105#post794105

johnc
25th August 2008, 11:56 PM
Welcome to the forum, I also love the carvings. Don't worry about Dingo, he's attempting a trip to the east anyway, our only hope this side is fixing the dog fence up enough to keep him out.

tea lady
26th August 2008, 12:56 PM
Welcome to the forum, I also love the carvings. Don't worry about Dingo, he's attempting a trip to the east anyway, our only hope this side is fixing the dog fence up enough to keep him out.
:oo:...Now Now!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

whittlewomyn
27th October 2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks. :DYou are a friendly bunch of woodies, i would love to meet you all.:2tsup:
I entered 2 of my pieces in a competition and they won first prize, the prize was a set of Irwin-Marples chisels.............now that's my kind of 'trophy' :B:U

edit:
i re-read my first post, i said my counsellor knows nothing about wood carving, i cannot edit it now, so i will say here, i am sorry how it came across. My counsellor loves art, wood and carvings and she is/was my inspiration to take up carving/whittling again and my comment comes across as insensitive and rude. I didn't mean it how it came out.

RufflyRustic
27th October 2008, 09:44 AM
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :2tsup::fireworks::groupwave:

Cheers
Wendy

flynnsart
27th October 2008, 10:02 AM
Congratulations, well done. :2tsup: Pretty exciting when people choose your work. Had a good win myself this week in the forum challenge.

Donna

whittlewomyn
27th October 2008, 10:16 AM
:meg: THANK YOU. :hug:

pitbull
31st October 2008, 05:47 AM
Hi W/W., i've just noticed this thread and i must
say your carvings are great, I know i'm right cos'
you just won 1ST. prize. Well done and
keep on Whittling. :2tsup:

tea lady
31st October 2008, 09:00 AM
:cool: 1st prize. :2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
18th November 2008, 09:08 AM
congratulation and you thought they weren't too good. Haha isn't it funny we are our own worse critics
bye Toni