PDA

View Full Version : Chucking tips for beginners - lidded boxes

jefferson
7th July 2008, 05:03 PM
I've been playing on the lathe for the last couple of days, using chucks both in-board and out-board.

The lessons are coming quick and fast, so I was hoping to:

- get some feedback from the forum on the "do's" and "don'ts"
- possibly "publishing" that collective wisdom, so new turners like me could get a head start.

Pics would be great, though this would be a collective exercise. I am happy to put the thing together, and "publish" the pamphlet / manual on the forum.

As I said, I've only just got started with turning, so any/all ideas would be great from the experts out there.

A few topics come to mind straight away (but remember, only lidded boxes at this stage):
- chucking in general
- re-chucking
- large and small chucks
- jaws

This might be a good project for me to start while the rain is falling.

I don't know how to manage the feedback, but I'll find a way.

Jeff

artme
7th July 2008, 05:10 PM
Sounds like a good idea for tha yet to be established library.:D:D:D

There are several good boobks that cover this subject as part of their general instruction. Check out work by Mike Darlow and Richard Raffan.

DJ’s Timber
7th July 2008, 06:07 PM
Here you go Jeff, have a look through this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=35261) from a couple of years ago for some hint & tips

jefferson
7th July 2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks Artme and DJ,

This project might be more than I can manage! There is certainly some great stuff in the earlier discussion.

I have a friend - currently overseas - who has all the gear to take videos etc, so maybe that is an option??? I have some books too, but there's nothing like a basic easy-to-understand video. The Mike Darlow DVD is, simply, too hard to understand.

I was hoping to write this from a beginner's point of view, and explain what can and cannot be done. You Tube has some terrific stuff out there, but I would need some guidance on what should be covered.

Perhaps I can write a script, guided by the forum, before I starting shooting the video.

If I suffer from exhaustion, get onto me.

Jeff