PDA

View Full Version : Essential oils boxes

Judy
28th August 1999, 10:43 PM
Am not sure if anyone knows what sort of box this is but it has an insert which is made up of small sections, to put small bottles in. I use 3mm MDF by the way.
I generally cut up some straight sections to put in first. Then I cut up some more to put crosswise..I use the scroll saw to slot them in. This, I know, is definitely the hardest way to go about it....does anyone have any suggestions please? I've also tried stacking them together to cut them on the table saw, but that didn't work either.

Of course, I may be making life difficult by not explaining it too well either http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks once again for any help.

------------------

RETIRED
28th August 1999, 11:45 PM
Judy

I've also tried stacking them together to cut them on the table saw, but that didn't work either.

Why not?

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Judy
29th August 1999, 12:11 AM
Hi ,
Well, the saw cuts a longer slot into the bottom piece, than it does the top piece.
Can I overcome that somehow? Do you know what I mean?

------------------

Shane Watson
29th August 1999, 01:04 AM
Judy are you using a sliding table on your table saw? The way I figure it, is if you stack them equally then the saw will cut the same height right the way through.
I would also suggest taping the stack together, maybe just with normal masking tape which is thin and won't make the stack sit up off the table. Also The saw blade needs to go right through the whole stack to acheive a uniform height.
Another alternative would be to cut the stack using a bandsaw, if available!! Or, if you are making these boxes in bulk, why not approach a local joiner and get a qoute for them to cut a heap for you at the one time, it may be a more economical alternative, and may save your fingers on your table saw http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Its hard to explain your situation but Hope this helps!!!

Cheers,

Shane...

Rod Smith
29th August 1999, 06:30 PM
Hi Judy
I think what your saying is that the table saw blade isn't height adjustable and you tried to just push the parts in enough to cut your slots. If you can adjust the height of the blade to the depth of the slot and cut several at once that would be good. If not maybe you could clamp some wood either side of the blade to raise mdf to the correct height. Or start with pieces wider than required, run a bunch through the saw, then cut to width removing the extra from the slotted side. I figure you are doing half cuts in the lenthways and crossways pieces so they interlock? Good luck. Rod

Judy
29th August 1999, 08:51 PM
Thank you so much Shane and Rod...
Shane, I don't have a sliding table saw, so it does make it a little difficult. Your idea to get some done through a joiner was a very good one. If I get lots of orders I think I will certainly do that...they're getting quite popular! That masking tape sure is good for so many things!

Rod you hit the nail on the head! My table saw is adjustable up and down...it's a Triton bench top. It sounds like I need to lower the saw as you said to make the slots because I may have set it up too high. Yes, I'm (trying!) to make halfway slots so that each interlock.
What is the height that a saw should be....are there any *rules* about that?

Don't know what I'd do without all you wonderful fellas to help....thanks again http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

RETIRED
29th August 1999, 09:44 PM
What they said above. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I've gone all shy.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Judy
29th August 1999, 10:36 PM
Hi ......

Hehe! Aw, that's nice http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Neil Ellis
30th August 1999, 11:32 AM
Hi Judy

I take it that your box has a bottom. If this is the case there should be no problem with the cuts not being the same depth so long as the strips you are cutting are the same width. As a matter of fact I would think it an advantage if they were a little overcut as this should always allow for a level joint across the top of the joined pieces.

Is the box designed to lay the oils flat in for display purposes? Are the insert holes square or rectangular? If the holes are square for standing the bottles in vertically , have you thought about using thicker material and drilling the holes? Just a thought.

Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Judy
30th August 1999, 05:07 PM
Hi Neil,
Yes, the box does have a base...I understand what you're saying in your first statement and that makes a lot of sense actually.

The bottles are small and stand up in square sections.....yes, I had thought of drilling out round holes in a thicker piece of material, but it seems the ladies like the square ones for some reason. However, I'm going to try that anyway.
The base of the box is about 50mm deep, so do you have any suggestions as to what thickness material I could use....I was going to use 32mm mdf, but it wouldn't be quite thick enough. I could glue pieces together, I guess to make it thicker?

------------------