PDA

View Full Version : Name that wood

thefixer
14th July 2008, 12:16 AM
G'day felllow turners

I'm hoping someone can help identify this tree for me. When it is freshly cut the timber is a very plain white color (image1) but after a day or two it turns orange as it dries. (image 2). It is almost like turning pine when it is green, lots of tearout and very stringy. I cut a few pen blanks from it and dried them in the microwave and it was quite nice to turn then, but it still did not hold that orange color. Maybe a natural drying process will help retain the color. Image 3 is of course the bark, sorry no foliage,just the logs.

Cheers
Shorty

OGYT
14th July 2008, 12:23 AM
I'm certainly no expert on Oz timber, so I can't give a guess.
But it is hard to see the grain pattern in these pics... it might do better if you could use a tripod when you snap some pics... they seem to be a bit blurry...
I hope it isn't my glasses!!

thefixer
14th July 2008, 12:29 AM
I'm certainly no expert on Oz timber, so I can't give a guess.
But it is hard to see the grain pattern in these pics... it might do better if you could use a tripod when you snap some pics... they seem to be a bit blurry...
I hope it isn't my glasses!!

Definately not your glasses Al. Maybe I should have had a couple beers before taking the pics. Any way; not much grain to speak of, pretty much straight up and down except around the branches. And I think it is probably not a native aussie tree. Possibly a rogue cactus imported from Texas:D

Cheers
Shorty

springwater
14th July 2008, 12:33 AM
Mulberry maybe?

I'm hoping one day I'll get it right.

artme
14th July 2008, 04:10 PM
Don't think it's Mulberry. Bark doesn't look right and fr0m what I've been told Mulberr is great to turn, which certainly doesn't line up with what is said here.

rowie
14th July 2008, 08:10 PM
Red Alder? Does it have medullar rays like oak but a lot smaller(like beech)

weisyboy
14th July 2008, 08:24 PM
could be elm. or soap tree but that is hard.

DJ’s Timber
14th July 2008, 08:32 PM
Doesn't look like Elm to me, tend to agree with rowie, Alder does go orange after its been cut whilst it's green