PDA

View Full Version : My CNC router

GRS
14th July 2008, 02:26 AM
G'Day All,
well it has been sometime now since the guy's got the CNC forum up and running and Rod had told me I better be contributing so Rod at long last I have extracted the digit and here I am:2tsup:
I stumbled onto CNC through Rodm and I can't thank him enough for giving me the inspiration to build my own machine. He helped me no end some 2 years ago when my build started and now I can't get out to shed quick enough when I'm home to try something new.

My Machine has a footprint of 1100 X 480 mm although it is open ended so bigger signage type jobs can be any length really. I run a die grinder also as others do and have already worn 2 out and rebrushed them.

I like to experiment with different materials and have done quite a few plastics and perspex mirros and carved every available piece of timber in my shed and then some
Anyway some pictures of my CNC router and some jobs Iv'e done it doesn't paint though, Rod we will have to work on that. Also a photo of an aluminium car badge I did for a mate this was done on a CNC X2 mill I aquired off Rod in one of his weaker moments:D

Cheers Gary

rodm
14th July 2008, 03:09 AM
Hi Gary,
Well done there and RR1 still looks good after many hours of use.. We have had a CNC email group across Australia for quite a while that we share our mistakes with and Gary is our most prolific creator in the group. He is usually the first to try new materials and techniques and has inspired all of us.
I have been at it for over three years now and Gary was the first to join in the fun. :2tsup:
He hides behind the country lad image but his work is exceptional and some is it is art gallery quality.
Now that I have enbassared you it is only fitting that you show us a few of the cast iron and jam wood timber creations you have made.
The die grinders have served us well but there is a shift by a couple of the group towards high speed spindles and VFD's. The Chinses have started produding them at affordable prices and already two in the group have them hooked up. A couple of us are sitting on the side waiting to hear how they go and ready to click on the buy now once the results are in. Imagine 2 HP spindles running quiet as a mouse and variable speed 8000 to 24,000 rpm.

GRS
14th July 2008, 03:22 AM
Hey Rod, thanks for the kind intro.

I'm at work mate so could only scrounge what pics I had on the work PC.
I will put some pics on the project thread and keep that running along.

The more I use the mill then go back to the router the more I am interested in a nice quiet high speed spindle:wink:
I've just completed some tombstones :o ( wild west style ) :D for a local gun club so I'll get some photos of those and paste them up too.