PDA

View Full Version : Help which lathe

les88
15th July 2008, 09:07 AM
Hi
I am going to get a mini lathe
The CT mini lathe is $259 and Woodfast M305 $399
That is quite a difference for what looks like the same spec. machines.
So can you explain why the M305 is worth the extra $$
thanks
les

wheelinround
15th July 2008, 10:36 AM
Woodfast
<table class="spectable" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="95%"><tbody><tr><td class="speccell" width="50%">swing over bed</td> <td class="speccell" width="50%">300mm</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell" height="22">max distance between centres</td> <td class="speccell">420mm</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">spindle thread</td> <td class="speccell">M30 x 3.5</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">hole through tailstock</td> <td class="speccell">10mm</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">spindle RPM</td> <td class="speccell">6 speed - 360 to 3250rpm</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">indexing positions</td> <td class="speccell">12</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">morse taper</td> <td class="speccell">MT2</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">headstock movement</td> <td class="speccell">N/A</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">motor</td> <td class="speccell">1/2hp 240v</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">net weight</td> <td class="speccell">48kg</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">shipping weight</td> <td class="speccell">52kg</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">packing size</td> <td class="speccell">700 x 450 x 250mm</td></tr></tbody></table>

CT Mini
<table class="spectable" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="95%"><tbody><tr><td class="speccell" width="50%">swing over bed</td> <td class="speccell" width="50%">260mm</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell" height="22">max distance between centres</td> <td class="speccell">440mm</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">spindle thread</td> <td class="speccell">M30 x 3.5</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">hole through tailstock</td> <td class="speccell">10mm</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">spindle RPM</td> <td class="speccell">5 speed - 500 to 3200rpm</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">indexing positions</td> <td class="speccell">nil</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">morse taper</td> <td class="speccell">MT2</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">headstock movement</td> <td class="speccell">N/A</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">motor</td> <td class="speccell">1/2hp 240v</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">net weight</td> <td class="speccell">41kg</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">shipping weight</td> <td class="speccell">45kg</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="speccell">packing size</td> <td class="speccell">840 x 430 x 300mm</td></tr></tbody></table>

Ok The CT Lathe has 5 speeds where as the Woodfast has 6 greater speed range on the woodfast
CT has only 260 swing while Woodfast has 300

Big Shed
15th July 2008, 10:54 AM
.........and the Woodfast has indexing facility, if you need it.

Might pay to investigate the accessories, such as tool rests, face plates etc, supplied with each lathe.

Allan at Wallan
15th July 2008, 04:15 PM
Hi
I am going to get a mini lathe
The CT mini lathe is $259 and Woodfast M305 $399
That is quite a difference for what looks like the same spec. machines.
So can you explain why the M305 is worth the extra $$
thanks
les

The Woodfast M305 for $399 is a midi, repeat midi, rather
than the smaller sized minis available. I bought the M305 in
February and am very happy with all aspects of it.

Allan

You can't teach an old mouse new clicks.

lubbing5cherubs
15th July 2008, 05:48 PM
I have heard not so good comments on the carbatec mini lathes might be worth a search to see for yourself, I have not heard anything bad about the woodfast
hth Toni

orraloon
16th July 2008, 09:22 PM
Les,
It all depends on what you see as you'r turning ambitions. Be prepared to see those ambitions grow. Turning is addictive. A lot of people start off with the desire to turn pens,tool handles and perhaps the odd small bowl. When you do a few then you want to turn bigger stuff. I would go for the best lathe you can afford. Woodfast has a good name and 300mm is a good mid size. Big lathes will turn small work but small lathes will not turn big work. I started off with a Record lathe that turned 230mm over the bed and within a few months I wanted something bigger. It was well made(english) but limited. I have not used either of the lathes you mention but as I said woodfast has a reputation as quite good and who knows the other. If you get the bug you will be trading up soon and the woodfast will have more trade value. Indexing is also a good feature to have.
They are both 1/2hp and that is a bit limited but 300 mm can still be turned with a soft touch. Hay the old treadle lathes can do it. I would check out both machines and ask to see both turn some wood before you buy.

Regards
John

les88
17th July 2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks all for your advise.
I was at CT in Canberra yesterday and they will be getting the CT lathe at the end of the month for a demo one. They said the Woodfast will not be in Ozz until September. I am not in a hurry for one i.e haven't got any jobs for it but that will change. I will join the toymakers here making toys for underprivileged children. That poses an other question that I will later ask the toymakers, where do they distribute the toys.
thanks again
les

artme
17th July 2008, 05:59 PM
My advice to lathe buyers is:
What do you intend to make?
Will this/that lathe do the job?
Remember you can turn anything of almost any size on a big lathe. On asmall lathe your turning capacity is severly restricted.
Having satisfied all those points look for features such as an indexing facility, swivelling head etc., etc.
Look at the expeiences and opinionsof others and then make up your mind.