PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet making / furniture book

DaveInOz
27th February 2004, 01:34 PM
If you could buy only one text to get in to furniture and cabinet making what would it be:

Wood Borer
27th February 2004, 02:00 PM
Encyclopedia of Furniture is a ripper of a book if you want to know how to do it the way of a Master. Joyce is an excellent author who encourages you to strive to higher standards.

To use an analogy, this book teaches you how to read a map and gives you directions. Some books only give you directions such as plans and step by step instructions.

Encyclopedia of Furniture gives you reasons why you use the different joints, where you might use them and how to make them.

Encyclopedia of Furniture caters for Neanderthal hand tool people like myself and for people who like to use slave, horse, steam, air and electricity power.

It is my choice although the Krenov book would also be good.

- Wood Borer

Phil Jennings
27th February 2004, 10:15 PM
my vote is for other:

George Nakashima "The Soul of a Tree"

For me this book addresses the why of woodworking: What it is about wood that draws us to not only make something useful but to make something beautiful.

DaveInOz
17th March 2004, 09:35 AM
The encyclopedia has been duely ordered, thank you all for your advise. :)

Wood Borer
17th March 2004, 09:52 AM
You won't be disappointed in the book Dave. Joyce's standards are high and will present you with a very high goal. I think that is the book that says dowells are wooden nails!

Enjoy the book and the wonderful and satisfying journey to reaching those goals. We expect to see photos of your examples of Fine Woodwork in the near future.

- Wood Borer