PDA

View Full Version : In house Carbide tipped tool

BobL
20th July 2008, 12:15 AM
Talking to one of the techos at work about carbide bits and he showed me a small box with a a dozen or so blunt, chipped and broken tips from some of our metal working lathe tools and said I could help myself. Amongst that lot I found 4 that looked OK and touched one up on a diamond plate.

Initially I just attached one to a piece of mild steel but then I found this sweet piece of square section SS. I might have to reshape the end of the SS piece to better fit the tip.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=78326&stc=1&d=1216473200

I then played around with it on the lathe and applied it to a lump of white painted Jarrah scavenged from a skip two doors up. The piece was a big splinter attached to a 10 x 2" pergola beam poking out of the end of the skip Result - one Jarrah handle - quite pale jarrah too. I love it when a tool participates in making itself!

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=78327&stc=1&d=1216473200

The diagonal shaped tip makes it easier to use in one direction but I have to say I was very impressed with finish it generates - very smooth.

Ferrule is the dome of an old brass tap.
Total cost of materials - zip!

hughie
20th July 2008, 01:11 AM
Bob,

Looks good. by the look of it you have a positive rake on the top of the tip. Also you have a shining radius effect on the cutting edge, indicating it may need a touch up on a silicon carbide wheel. When you sharpen it, it will bit some thing fierce, so take it easy.

Other wise well done

Pops
20th July 2008, 11:42 AM
Hi Bob,

Top job, like the handle too, (colour and price). Trust you to make a great tool out of,... well nothing.:2tsup:

I will have to drive up your street from time to time as that skip of timber up the road seems to be perpetual. Or have you got a golden goose that makes skips of timber materalise at your doorstep? :D

Keep up the tool making, always makes for interesting posts.

Cheers
Pops

BobL
20th July 2008, 01:24 PM
Cheers Pops and Hughie,

RE: Positive rake + shining radius.
Thanks for the advice, it already cuts very well so I might just leave it.

That skip is one of about 5 skips in the are that have yielded so many goodies that I have had to stop, as my back yard is starting to look like a set for Steptoe & Son.

Woodlee
20th July 2008, 06:54 PM
Hey Bob,
You haven't seen my yard .I got stuff I"m too scared to use in case ineed it for something else.
Great looking tool BTW.

Kev.

Sawdust Maker
20th July 2008, 08:20 PM
Nice tool and nice price :2tsup:

There was a skip up the road from me, kept a close eye on it, only had broken bricks and garden waste in it, not a plank of wood to be seen :doh:

BobL
20th July 2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks Kev and SM.

RE: I got stuff I"m too scared to use in case ineed it for something else.
That is not a good sign - I'll try to avoid that condition.

Today I drove past a skip and it had 2 new , 135 mm wide Jarrah floor boards poking out the top. I blinked but kept going - I'd just spent the day milling a cubic metre Jarrah log (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=773909&postcount=19).

hughie
25th July 2008, 10:50 PM
Here you go, a couple of pics on TCT tools.

The first one is from USA website, the second is my version of same

dennis perkin
27th July 2008, 09:25 PM
beautiful piece of engineering bob.Can I ask did you use a self tapper or did you cut a thread in the bar ? and I noticed in the pic of hughies that one of the pieces looks to be braised on to the bar ,is that possible ,.The reason is I have just obtained a couple of tungsten bits and I was thinking of doing the same .
cheers dennis

hughie
27th July 2008, 10:03 PM
and I noticed in the pic of hughies that one of the pieces looks to be braised on to the bar ,is that possible ,.The reason is I have just obtained a couple of tungsten bits and I was thinking of doing the same .

Yep, the first type were silver soldered onto the holder. Later with better design etc they have mostly become of the indexable type ie many cutting edges can be rotated to replace the damaged ones.

Now the silver soldered type are the cheaper variety and available through places like Hare and Forbes etc.

BobL
27th July 2008, 11:09 PM
beautiful piece of engineering bob.Can I ask did you use a self tapper or did you cut a thread in the bar ? and I noticed in the pic of hughies that one of the pieces looks to be braised on to the bar ,is that possible ,.The reason is I have just obtained a couple of tungsten bits and I was thinking of doing the same .
cheers dennis

Thanks Denis. I tapped a 5mm thread in the SS bar. Stainless thread cutting is not my idea of fun. I lingered while drilling and overcooked the hole and the carbon steel tap wouldn't bite properly and I ended up just wearing the thread cutters off the carbon steel tap. I recut the notch and this time drilled the hole in a more positive manner using a freshly ground bit and lube. I also used a tungsten alloy tap - this time it worked OK!

dennis perkin
28th July 2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks Denis. I tapped a 5mm thread in the SS bar. Stainless thread cutting is not my idea of fun. I lingered while drilling and overcooked the hole and the carbon steel tap wouldn't bite properly and I ended up just wearing the thread cutters off the carbon steel tap. I recut the notch and this time drilled the hole in a more positive manner using a freshly ground bit and lube. I also used a tungsten alloy tap - this time it worked OK!
thanks for the advice you have done a good job ,the only way to move forward is to experiment
cheers den