PDA

View Full Version : Old Lathe/ Combo. Pics.

rgum
20th July 2008, 08:09 PM
Ok. Here's the pics.

You can see how the machine can be configured in three ways. Small table saw/ Joniter. Or table saw / Lathe. Or just a Lathe. All easy to do.
Motor works! I plugged it in. Derrrr! :q
A little bit of smoke dust cleared in only seconds and she was a quiet half horse pwr go' er!
Smoke dust cause she hadn't been run for quite a while. Motor didn't smell after some seconds so she's okey doke!
I handed over 5o.00....:doh: only to find the machine is incomplete.
To a developer who buys kitchens from us regularly. I reckon he honestly believed it was a full goer. My fault for ...obvious what for.
I'm certain that I WILL get something out of it .
I dont have the jointer blade cylinder on which to mount the blades . :doh:
I don't have griping chucks for either end :doh:.
I'm struggling to find A.E Herbert on the net. The maker. NSW. :~ Well what do you expect for a well aged machine?

I'm new to Lathes thankyou very much! :BGo easy on me!
Interest? Only in infancy stage.
But I love this little setup.
The plank with the motor on it sits paralell ( Spelling ? ) to the main unit ( also mounted on a plank) and belt then hooks up to it. Got it?
All shafts and bearings are quite precise in their movement and freed up beautifully after a little crc had been applied.
Ok. I CAN get the table saw going and it has a mitre track. Great! I'll make a sled for it. Too easy.
I want a blade cylinder to hold the jointer blades. Where for art thou?
Bugger!
Keep breathing I say.

Oh. See? I made a mallet !
Put post in the vice. Cut the handle into shape. Rasp it to gripping comfort then lop'er off the post. Not exciting ,I know!
Some of you know I work recylced timbers. Love my Red's and Jarrahs. Fence posts. Over some time I worked out some good techs to get ALL of the nail ( s ) out then cut off the check outs. Including metal residue in the holes!
I've then got 65mm to ( sometimes 75 ) sq at some length, to play with. After running a metal det over a remilled piece, I can then joint and plane them. Bloody beaut stuff I say. Look out blades, Agggghhhh!
Made some big...BIG bench tops with'em. Come give'us a hand will you. They're heavy. Gawwwwwd!:o
Yes! I pick out a lighter post to make these mallets. I've made 3 so when they break up, I move onto another. They burn well too! :o Nooooooooo!

My darling, said I'm allowed to buy my own jointer soon. Machine at work is failing us.

You got info on my machine? Hand it over! Please???????

Thanks.
Tony. :2tsup:

Chipman
20th July 2008, 08:23 PM
Interesting bit of gear there!:2tsup:

Never seen anything like it

A word of caution....if ANY smoke came out of the motor I would certainly be getting it checked. I was given an old "1/2 hp working motor" and after a few years sitting in the shed, I discovered all the rubber insulation inside had perished and was a death trap waiting to bite me:oo:. Real glad I checked it before trying to plug it in.

Cheers,

Chipman:)

hughie
25th July 2008, 10:39 PM
Here you go. It seems the Herbert lathe was built here in Australia. Several places sell Herbert manuals. if you can figure out the model and number etc you stand a chance.

http://www.espmach.com.au/machine_manuals_d_l.htm

http://nla.gov.au/nla.cs-pa-http%253A%252F%252Fmview.museum.vic.gov.au%252Fpaimages%252Fmm%252F164%252F16462.htm

http://www.machinerybrochures.com/shop/page1109.html?gclid=CMaRyKD52pQCFR4sagodmBwfkg

Keith_W
5th November 2008, 08:44 AM
Hi,
You have the Model C Wood lathe as I recall.
The inventer for AE Herbert was H. Townsend who lived across the road from me as a boy and he taught me so much about turning and metal working.
He gave me one of there proto type wood lathes with lots of spares. I sold it all 18 months ago when I moved house.
I can send you the pictures of the lathe and accessories which you can use as referance. I had the original pamphlet and typed accessory list for them as well, went with the lathe.

Regards,
Keith.

tea lady
5th November 2008, 09:25 AM
Gee! There is always someone who knows something out there, isn't there.:cool:

wands
5th November 2008, 12:54 PM
You got info on my machine? Hand it over! Please???????

Thanks.
Tony. :2tsup:

My father in law has the exact same machine and he is the type of bloke who holds onto manuals. No guarantees, but I'm tipping I will be able to get something for you and will let you know in a day or two.

Cheers, Steve

rgum
5th November 2008, 08:00 PM
Keith and Steve.
Huge thankyou. Send on what ever you are willing to pass up.
She's not been touched for a few mnths although I've got the little table saw going with a new blade.
Spares? Yep! I'll have'em If anyone you know wants to part with them.

Tea lady? We get it all here dont we? Inspiration galore. I love this site.

Thankyou all. :2tsup:

Keith_W
6th November 2008, 05:17 AM
rgum,
I had scanned picture of the original pamphlet along with pictures of the lathe which I post here for you. I was mistaken and your model is the B not the C, which is indicated on the pamphlet.
I still have the name of the people who bought the lathe, if you want I can give you there email address.
I will have a look to see if I have any parts from the Lathe that you can have and if you have any questions on the Lathe that I can answer please ask.

Regards,
Keith.

Manuka Jock
6th November 2008, 05:57 AM
Hey Lads

Look

Twins

:D

China
6th November 2008, 10:18 PM
I have a old McPherson's catalogue (1940's?) it is listed as a Universal Lathe No. 60

wands
10th November 2008, 08:08 PM
My father in laws is similar to yours but his is actually a Black and Decker one which came with an industrial type drill as the motor. Besides, even so he can't remember it comming with a manual and if it did he no longer has it.

Good luck

Cheers, Steve

rgum
10th November 2008, 08:16 PM
Keith. Is the manual all that's pictured? 4 pages? :U

Thanks Tony.

Keith_W
11th November 2008, 04:33 AM
Tony,
Yes the brochure only had four pages.
If you contact the buyer of the Lathe he maybe able to copy the parts list which gives more detail on the various attachments.

Regards,
Keith.

rgum
22nd November 2008, 07:57 AM
I found what I believe to be the same model I have, here ( below ) for sale.

In Sydney though:~
Otherwise I'd bid. :no:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120336028549&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:PIC&ih=002

Bugger!
I can see some of what I'm missing in my unit.

I'll seel mine eventually.

Cheers.