PDA

View Full Version : hinges for a trap door

lilon
20th July 2008, 09:49 PM
Hi,

I am working on a heavy hardwood trap door in my floor. I am looking for hinges that will not stick out upward, preferably nice strap hinges that could handle heavy (1500x1500mm) doors. I need hinges that if you turn them upside down so that the middle doesn't stick upward (then I can recess the but into the wood) they still look good and the recessed holes for the screws don't need redrilling too wide a hole.

Would appreciate advice.
thanks

RufflyRustic
21st July 2008, 09:45 AM
How about the gateleaf table hinges? the hinges for tables that have a flap that folds out. I believe they are entirely flat.

Cheers
Wendy

journeyman Mick
21st July 2008, 11:40 AM
For the door to work the hinge point needs to be above the floor surface, or at leat the centreline of the hinge point needs to be at least as high as the floor level. This generally equates to the hinge knuckles being above the floor level. If you want to avoid having anything above the finished floor level you will need something like a car boot or bonnet hinge arrangement which is mounted underneath but allows the trap door to swing clear of the floor.

Mick

lilon
21st July 2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks for those answers. I guess I'll live with a small projection above floor level as I quite like the look of these arrow shaped 'strap' hinges (is that what they call them? or maybe 'barn' hinges, 'wrought iron' hinges, which is the right name?)
thanks