PDA

View Full Version : safety instructions for working with a lathe

jow104
21st July 2008, 06:43 PM
I purchased a mini lathe the other week (axminster M330), turned a couple of pens and thought I would try my hand at turning some columns for a project I have got in mind. These columns , 40 needed (4 turnbed so far) are being cut from timber lengths of around 175mm long and 15mm thick.

My tool support is only 150mm in length and I get dangerously close to the 4 prong drive, so far no accidents but the other end the chisel has jumped or kicked off the end, luckily there is only the point to contend with, not a drive blade like the business end.

Quite frightening really.

So can anyone direct me to a good link re working lathes and safety in mind.

benja
21st July 2008, 07:07 PM
Google says
http://www.woodturner.org/resources/safety.cfm
Actualy this is easier
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=wood+lathe+safety&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

weisyboy
21st July 2008, 07:12 PM
keep your fingers out out the spinny bits.

and chisels off the table. (they fall offon you feet)

and all the saftey stuff that aplies the to other machines.

thats prety mutch it.

funkychicken
21st July 2008, 07:51 PM
Me:D

Seeya soon

DavidG
21st July 2008, 08:03 PM
Don't let a big gap develop between the tool rest and the work. Fingers may get trapped there and a spinning bit of wood removes skin real quick :C.

jow104
21st July 2008, 08:33 PM
Me:D

Seeya soon

Temps. expected to reach 30c at the end of the week, so you should feel right at home.

echnidna
21st July 2008, 08:40 PM
Some hands on tuition early on is a big help in learning woodturning so don't let the funky chicken escape without giving you some tuition John.

jow104
21st July 2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the link above re safety, taking the tool rest off when sanding was something I learnt.

Done a couple of hours on You Tube , the jet videos are very good.

funkychicken
21st July 2008, 09:13 PM
Temps. expected to reach 30c at the end of the week, so you should feel right at home.

Is that in fahrenheit:p? Cause so far it seems to me that your summer is about the same as our winter:roll::D

jow104
21st July 2008, 09:15 PM
Is that in fahrenheit:p? Cause so far it seems to me that your summer is about the same as our winter:roll::D

No centigrade.

It has been cool tho lately.