PDA

View Full Version : New Turner

Richard0470
24th July 2008, 06:53 AM
Howdy, as a new turner, well i haven't turned anything since school some 20 odd years ago. I only get to turn something about 1 or 2 weekends a month. Yikes!!:o many of you are saying, and that many of you out there would go stir crazy if you had to wait 2 or 3 weeks to gain access to your lathe. My seudo-lathe is at a holiday cabin down the coast (as i live in 2br unit in the city and the wife was unhappy about me turning the balcony into a makeshift workshop/spraybooth). I call it a seudo-lathe as its a re-modelled variable speed drill...:(( But still fun to turn small items, ie.Fishing floats. If i can't fish, i make floats..... Pics of both (floats and Lathe) to follow.

Getting back to the reason i'm on here, I am currently using Cedar but can anyone out there recommend other wood varieties that have similar density and bouancy qualities that i can use. Looking for a nice variance of grain finishes.

Thankyou,

Richard

artme
24th July 2008, 07:30 AM
G'day Richard and welcome to the show.:):):)

What CEdar are you turning? AUS. Red? Orthe Western Red from America?

Whichever way they are both suitable for floats.

Many timbers have varying densitities because of growing conditions... drought, cold, rainfall etc.so even something like the two species mentioned can be quite different from one piece to another. Oregan is suitable for your purposes as are many of the pine trees. Camphor Laurel would be OK.
Apart from those I suggest you experiment.

Richard0470
24th July 2008, 07:38 AM
Now you've got me, i'm not sure, i picked it up in a timber yard in Ryde, 19 x 90 and ran it through a saw bench down to 16x16 for my chuck. I'll have to revisit the yard to ask. Thankyou.

Rum Pig
24th July 2008, 08:37 AM
:welcomeani:Richard I have a friend who makes lures and he uses all sorts of timber depending on what he wants the lure to do but mostly he uses pine. It is cheap and performs the way he wants as for looks well he paints the lures so that is not important to him.
Another timber he uses a lot it oregan also mentioned by Artme. Sorry I can not be much moer help.

Richard0470
24th July 2008, 09:01 AM
Rumpig, thankyou, they're next on my list, but when you see the photo of my suedo-lathe (which will be posted after the weekend) you'll understand my limited options. I, like many others here get a sense of reward when something turns out as expected and actually works, i haven't had any snap whilst turning and cetralising the rod in each end became a real challenge but was soon sorted with handy jig and Brass 3/16" tube as a guide. I just can't wait to get a decent workshop happening.......

TTIT
24th July 2008, 09:05 AM
You could give Jacaranda a try which is similar in density etc as cedar (aussie). Beech is supposed to be great for carving and making lures if you can get hold of some.
Welcome to the weird world of wood worriers :2tsup:

Richard0470
24th July 2008, 09:29 PM
As promised here is a pic of the floats, apologies for flash back from table surface. And forgive the optical illusion of them being bent.

Richard

prozac
24th July 2008, 10:20 PM
Very nice Richard. What do you normally fish for?
Wlecome to the forums.

prozac

Richard0470
24th July 2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the welcome, I fish for whatever bites, but with these it would be Leather Jacket and Blackfish. Next attempt will be posted next week. It was quite hard to capture these in full detail and to get the Fluro Orange top as they're about 400mm long.

Gil Jones
25th July 2008, 12:28 PM
Richard, welcome to the Forum.
Nice looking floats :2tsup: (I too fish for what ever bites).

artme
25th July 2008, 03:24 PM
Nice work mate.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

robert brown
25th July 2008, 03:47 PM
Richard. welcome to the forum good luck fishing and turning. robert.

woodwork wally
27th July 2008, 09:23 PM
Welcome to the forum .Yes there is another timber HUON PINE:2tsup::2tsup: The queen of timbers for water use. It floats always and lasts for years without need for protection [salt or fresh}:D. Pm me an address and I will post you a piece to play with . It's magic to turn and for turning a float will not overload your "lathe":U And dont be bashfull about the tools you use as they are what you can afford and it is doing the job for now . Just go for it!!! Regards WW.Wally

Rum Pig
28th July 2008, 08:41 AM
The floats look really nice well done :2tsup: what ever the equipment you are using seems to be doing the job just fine and when you do upgrade you will appreciate so much more.:)

Richard you said you fish for whatever bites. You need to come to the Top End .our aim is not to catch fish as that just gets in the way of drinking and any one can catch a esky full of barra:D

Richard0470
28th July 2008, 06:16 PM
Rum pig, the top end sounds great, i'll bring up the tinny and load it up. Have a look at the Box threads as you'll see my tri-purpose box. The home made step/esky, and for the record it won't hold a Darwin in there but just shy of a case, probably 18 cans. I built it to help the wife step down through the step-through screen. Next is a colour matched prawn tank/storage/live bait box.

Richard