PDA

View Full Version : New Lathe, PM3520B

Gil Jones
25th July 2008, 12:51 PM
Hi Y'all,
This is an exciting month for me here so pardon me for jumping up-and-down a bit. Just bought a new lathe >> http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=11 <<. It is all leveled, cleaned, and ready to make shavings. Tomorrow will be the day to test it on a chunk of Sycamore wood.
Cheers!!,

Chipman
25th July 2008, 01:00 PM
Hi Gil,

I have seen this lathe on the web... looks like a nice machine and I can understand why you are excited. Seems that over your way powermatic and oneway are the go.

I am excited too...I got my new lathe this week and it is yellow! Woodfast M305 midi.
I am planing to give it a tryout this weekend as well with some red gum.

Cheers,

Chipman:)

Gil Jones
25th July 2008, 01:38 PM
G'day Chipman,
I checked out your new lathe, and it sure does look like a fine one!
Just the right color too.
Create marvelous pieces, and stay safe.
Cheers,

artme
25th July 2008, 03:21 PM
G'day Gil. great thing to be excited about. Good for you.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Chipman PMs are mustard, probobly hotter stuph than ordinary yellow woodfast.:p:D:p:D

TTIT
25th July 2008, 04:37 PM
Bewdy Gil :2tsup: Love the built in seat at the end there........... What??? Bed extension??? Nahhhhhh - don't be a drongo:doh: - why would you have a bed extension down there????:;:U

Sawdust Maker
25th July 2008, 05:08 PM
Happy man, well done:2tsup::2tsup:
may you make many pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood :U:U
and round if you want them that way :D

lubbing5cherubs
25th July 2008, 06:54 PM
Congrats Gil, Could not happen to a nicer bloke
Toni

hughie
25th July 2008, 07:05 PM
Gil,

Love looking at new toys....:2tsup: well done.....sigh no workshop yet. :U :U

hmmm has a impressive list of add on goodies, a serious lathe my friend, enjoy

Fredo
25th July 2008, 07:36 PM
G'day Gil, and congratulations on the new lathe. I have seen this lathe many times when surfing US sites and quite like it because of the sliding head. Why did you choose it and what did you move up from? I'm honestly not sure if we have that lathe here in Oz, but it's good to know what types of lathes are out there and how their owners feel about them. How about a review after you've had some time with it? Gil, good luck and happy turning.

Fredo :U

powderpost
25th July 2008, 09:30 PM
Well done Gil, looking forward to some nice stuff from it. Nice looking machine too. :2tsup:
Jim

Chipman
25th July 2008, 09:36 PM
Hi Fredo,

The woodman group have it advertised... Woodworking Wharehouse in Melbourne have it advertised for $5700 ....Also the top of the line "Sherwood" from Timbercon is a chinese/taiwanese lathe modelled after the powermatic.

Ttit, Love your sense of humour!

Artme, at that price it would want to be hotter than a $400 Woodfast midi! If yellow/mustard is not hot enough, your could always try the orange paprika of a sherwood:D:wink::D:wink: :oo::oo:

Cheers,

Chipman:)

joe greiner
25th July 2008, 11:34 PM
Ooooooh! The Mustard Monster has arrived. Congratulations, Gil. But mate! Most manufacturers show their pics from the turner's side. So could it be that's in your own shed? No sliding block puzzle?

I expect we'll see some birdhouse condos and giant weed pots sometime soon.

All the best,
Joe

Cliff Rogers
26th July 2008, 12:11 AM
I want to see shavings on the floor. :2tsup:

Hey Vern, do you reckon he should put a saddle on the seat, it looks a bit rough. :think:

Caveman
26th July 2008, 12:39 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:Congrats Gil! Enjoy!:)

oldiephred
26th July 2008, 09:47 AM
Very fine looking machine. Can that extension piece also be used for outboard turning on large dia. pieces if the tailstock is removed?

Chipman
26th July 2008, 10:49 AM
Very fine looking machine. Can that extension piece also be used for outboard turning on large dia. pieces if the tailstock is removed?

Yes, that is what it is for. Remove the tailstock, slide the head to the end and then you can turn your large (huge!) bowls using it.

Chipman

Gil Jones
26th July 2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks for all the nice thoughts...
Just took it for a short test drive on a chunk of Sycamore, and so far, it performs very well. It will take a bit of getting used to, but at this point I love it!!
Yes, Joe, the pics are in my shed. Drop by when you are up this way.
As it is set up now, with the 18" bed extension in the lower position, and the 9” tool rest post extension, the outboard turning diameter is about 38.5" (97.79cm). Used as a seat the extension might be a tad uncomfortable, though I reckon I could get a saddle:rolleyes:.
Fredo, I'll post my opinion of the PM3520B after I have used it some, but my other (an first) lathe was a General International mini 10", 1/2hp, so this 20", 2 hp will be a vast improvement. I chose it (amongst other things) for the sliding headstock, sensible price, heavy construction, adequate power, reasonable variety of available accessories, vary good reputation, and solid technical support if needed.

BernieP
26th July 2008, 01:14 PM
G'Day Gil

Congrats, you deserve it after all the help you have given others, enjoy it.

Cheers
Bernie

artme
26th July 2008, 07:02 PM
Droooool!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Harry72
27th July 2008, 01:26 AM
Nice machine!

oldiephred
27th July 2008, 04:34 AM
Lovely M/C. An added benefit I can see is that with that extension lowered one can well keep the barnacles cleaned off of the shins.:doh:

les88
27th July 2008, 09:53 AM
a serious machine there :2tsup::2tsup:
les

Grumpy John
27th July 2008, 10:43 AM
Hi Gil,
Congrats on the new arrival your bound to get lots of pleasure from it. I'm sure having a new machine will open up more possibilities and probably a new learning curve will develop as you become accustomed to it. The powermatic "looks similar" to my Jet 1642, did you consider a Jet or is there a world of difference between the two. Also on this web site http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pm3520brvu.html they talk about a comparator, which would come in handy when doing chair legs etc., clever use of the guard bracket BTW (does anyone use a guard?). Does the tooling for the comparator standard with the machine? Did you keep your original lathe?

Cheers
GJ

Gil Jones
27th July 2008, 12:11 PM
Thanks Bernie.
Oldie, my wife asked me how long I figured it would take me to walk into that bed extension. May paint it red!!
GJ, Jet owns Powermatic, so the lathes are similar. Our turning club has a Jet 1642 EVS, and it seems not as heavy as the Powermatic. As mine is fitted out it weighs about 786 pounds (356.5kg), so moving it around is not so easy as sliding the Jet 1642 around. Yes, I did consider the Jet 1642 and the Oneway 1640, but I wanted the extra mass, and more swing. I also seriously considered the Oneway 2436, 3hp, but could not justify the extra $3000. The comparator is OK, but right now I no not need it (most of it is in a box). The guard could be a lifesaver, but it looks like it would be in the way (mine still has the cardboard on it). I still have the General 10" mini lathe; what I will do with it is not for sure yet, but my wife likes to turn pens occasionally.

Cliff Rogers
29th July 2008, 10:22 AM
:2tsup: