PDA

View Full Version : A strange Birthday present

Chipman
25th July 2008, 11:11 PM
One of my work friends was having her birthday this week (Monday), So I wrapped up an ugly piece of firewood (Box I think) It was the shattered end of a limb brought down in a storm. I wrapped it up nicely and gave it to her! After opening it, I said if she gave it back to me I would make something for her....

Here are some pics of the finished item.... a mortar and pestle (it almost all backfired on me as the wood was so shattered inside, I struggled to find anything worth turning. I left the natural edge on it as a reminder to its origins. It was finished with hard burnishing oil down to 1200 grit.

(I have actually made quite a few things for her over the years. Her father kindly keeps me supplied in lots of nice fiddleback red gum)

Cheers,

Chipman:)

Caveman
26th July 2008, 12:44 AM
:2tsup:Nice one Chipman - particularly like the natural edge.

Gil Jones
26th July 2008, 02:47 AM
Good-looking mortar and pestle, Chipman:2tsup:

Fredo
26th July 2008, 08:23 AM
Chipman - very nice , I to love the natural look, good job.

Fredo :U

robyn2839
26th July 2008, 10:41 AM
looks great ,what a good idea ,think i,ll offer my wife some wood on her birthday which is coming up next month..............bob ??????

artme
26th July 2008, 11:27 AM
Hey,hey,hey.... nice mate.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Turned on the yellow beast no doubt?:D:D:D:D

Chipman
26th July 2008, 12:18 PM
Hey,hey,hey.... nice mate.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Turned on the yellow beast no doubt?:D:D:D:D

No Artme....it was completed the day before the little woodfast arrived.... it was turned on its big GREEN Woodfast brother at School (Possibly "Grandfather" given its age!!!!:D last of the true Aussie woodfasts)

I should be spinning up the litte yellow one for the first time Tomorrow.

Cheers,

Chipman:)

Yes I know.....post the pics! (yes will do)

munruben
26th July 2008, 11:49 PM
I like it.:2tsup:

Rum Pig
28th July 2008, 08:30 AM
Looks great:2tsup:

I have never thought to give the wood first and then ask for it back, but then again me friends would probably throw it back at me. I think I will try that a xmas :rolleyes: