PDA

View Full Version : Turning tutor required

jefferson
27th July 2008, 06:27 PM
Alright,

I've had two practice bowls fly off the chuck this weekend. Very, very frustrating.

I keep re-reading all the turning books I have, plus I view over and over the DVDs by Raffan and Darlow.

Also contacted the local turners, but none can help for the moment. (I want hands-on tutoring on my equipment!)

Have also acquired more gear for the VL 300 with more on order. No shortage of gear here.

I am also practicing every day. Mostly on oregan and Murray pine and Vic ash.

In spite all of the above, the skew chisel is killing me.

I need lessons so my question is who? I am prepared to spend what it takes - I just want the skills to turn lidded boxes. Maybe bowls, but I'm not that fussed.

Please, please tell me who I should see. I want someone who is a good tutor for a leftie - in Victoria for preference. As I said, I am prepared to pay and will travel.

Jeff
You might get

madcraft
28th July 2008, 10:35 AM
Alright,

I've had two practice bowls fly off the chuck this weekend. Very, very frustrating.

I keep re-reading all the turning books I have, plus I view over and over the DVDs by Raffan and Darlow.

Also contacted the local turners, but none can help for the moment. (I want hands-on tutoring on my equipment!)

Have also acquired more gear for the VL 300 with more on order. No shortage of gear here.

I am also practicing every day. Mostly on oregan and Murray pine and Vic ash.

In spite all of the above, the skew chisel is killing me.

I need lessons so my question is who? I am prepared to spend what it takes - I just want the skills to turn lidded boxes. Maybe bowls, but I'm not that fussed.

Please, please tell me who I should see. I want someone who is a good tutor for a leftie - in Victoria for preference. As I said, I am prepared to pay and will travel.

Jeff
You might get

Hi Jeff

Vic is a bit too far for me but perhaps I can talk you through it ,
are you turning green or dry?
how are you attatching?
What speed are you running at
with the Skew do you you have a copy of Raffins Turning Projects , he explains the skew in real language that makes sense { I used to have trouble with the skew until I happened to read what he said }
Not too sure how much would change between a leftie and a rightie but if it's anything like writing { or just about anything else} you have my sympathies

I found that by starting with spindle turning and then moving up to faceplace turning I had a better feel of what the peice was doing and how the tools were reacting , so maybe that might be a way { start at the beginning again and work up to your boxes

If you have any questions pls PM me I'd love to help

Sorry I couldn't do the face to face { would have loved too }

Cheers
Glenn

Gra
28th July 2008, 11:26 AM
Where is Kiewa?

If you are near any of the turnfests I would recomend comming along, they are a great learing experience, You may even be lucky and get some tuition from the man with the axe, his lecture on the Skew explained what I was doing wrong with it (and still are at times, but at least I know what I did after I have done it:doh:)

Good luck

rsser
28th July 2008, 01:07 PM
Hi Jeff,

I'm happy to come up and give you some tips. With the snow season I'm often up your way and can show you how to rip lumps out of chucks the correct way ;-}

AndyCJ
28th July 2008, 01:46 PM
Hi,
Not sure if this still exists - but you could try contacting "Central Victorian School of Woodcrafts" - they used to have a webpage advertising 2 day courses - think it's Newstead?
Cheers,
Andy

RETIRED
28th July 2008, 06:30 PM
Hi,
Not sure if this still exists - but you could try contacting "Central Victorian School of Woodcrafts" - they used to have a webpage advertising 2 day courses - think it's Newstead?
Cheers,
AndyNo longer in existence. It was run by Neil Ellis (Ubeaut).

jefferson
29th July 2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks for all the responses. One of the forum members is taking me under his wing for a couple of days next week, after the turnfest, so great timing.

Ern - you're more than welcome to come up. Falls Creek isn't that far away.

Jeff