PDA

View Full Version : Need big help from you lot please

littlebuddha
2nd August 2008, 07:37 AM
Hi guys ladies, have been biz with a mass of familiy stuff as late and trying new things, no time for much. Okay looking for help ideas what to do where to look and so on, i want to make a cot/cradle whatever you might want to call it. I have just been told this week that im going to be a grandfather:2tsup::Dyep chuffed, id like to make something really nice, my turning skills are not to bad as some of you know me, so any ideas links to where i might see some stuff i can form some ideas i would be well happy for the help, design ideas something different, hope that i can get something to get my brain going, bit stund just know, have a good amount of time, but hey it goes by before you know it. D Day is around march.
Hope you guys are having fun and getting lots of shavings with good results.. LB

artme
2nd August 2008, 08:32 AM
G'day LB. Long time. Bein g a grandfather is good stuff.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
How about making acradle with turned "slats? Can't post a pic but you probably get what I mean.

Just read Mulgabill's post and lokked up the site. Just the sort of thing I had In mind.

lubbing5cherubs
2nd August 2008, 02:50 PM
CONGRATULATIONS. Nothing beats a new bubba. Brings out all the good stuff. Well does for me. I just love babies
Toni

Mulgabill
2nd August 2008, 03:33 PM
Hi LB!
Try this site for some ideas http://www.woodworking-heaven.flowerpotheaven.com/baby-cradle-plans.shtml

Cent-A-Wood
2nd August 2008, 03:57 PM
G'day LB. Congradulations. I built a cot for my grand daughter 2 years ago, no turning just slats etc, could I suggest you keep in mind to design your cot to rules laid out by australian design standards. That is all the max and min spaces between centres etc. Second hint, buy your good quality mattress first, then build your cot to suit the mattress size. this is because there are different sizes around and that Australian sizes can differ to that of overseas plans. These tips where given to me and proved invaluable when I built a cot. I am at present trying to strain the brain trying to remember the web site for the Australian standards, shouldn't be to hard to find. :?. Good luck with the project I'm sure it will be grand, because you will be building it for someone really special. Cheers, Ivor.:2tsup:

Cent-A-Wood
2nd August 2008, 04:05 PM
Well, what a great help I am, just realised your not in Aussie land. I'm new to this forum stuff, not hard to tell hey! Anyway the basic rules probably would apply in the UK, as well. Cheers Ivor.

joe greiner
2nd August 2008, 04:28 PM
G'day, LB. Long time no see. Welcome news.

Google [baby furniture "safety standards"] (global, not WWF local), and select the most restrictive. In our times, international variations shouldn't be very substantial. Principal concerns are to avoid baby falling between slats, or pinching head; no cutouts to trap fingers; common sense above all. Also, height and weight to prevent toppling and such.

Like Ivor said, get the mattress first, and fit the rest to it.

Nah, Ivor. Happens all the time.

Joe

lubbing5cherubs
2nd August 2008, 07:33 PM
Well, what a great help I am, just realised your not in Aussie land. I'm new to this forum stuff, not hard to tell hey! Anyway the basic rules probably would apply in the UK, as well. Cheers Ivor.

Ivor Welcomed to our board. Do not feel like a D@#khead! We all start learning somewhere it is ok. I just wanted to say welcome to the woodturning board
bye Toni

littlebuddha
3rd August 2008, 06:18 AM
Hi thanks for the replies, the tip about getting the mattress first is a good idea, i should think there are several sizes aound, and ur right im in the UK. and yes a lot of common scence will get me through, thanks for the link but im after doing something different, was hoping to get some ideas bits of input. Not wanting to go for the same mondan type although there are some nice cots cradles around i want to do something really different just not sure what, got to get the grey matter moving. I know i want something different but no clue as to what yet..it will come:rolleyes: as long as its before the baby.:D thanks..LB hope to get some new stuff on soon, go and see if i can catch up on some threads know.

Ad de Crom
3rd August 2008, 07:42 AM
Saw right now, that we get a new grandpa in our community, LB, that's great.
Congratulations. I'm already 7 times grandpa, so I'm used to playing the roll of grandpa. Hope you found already the right idea.

Ad

channa
3rd August 2008, 08:10 AM
There have been some real nice cots posted by members in the past - sleigh cots, drop sides and swinging cots.

The WA and NZ cot guidelines can be found here http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/ConsumerProtection/PDF/Publications/index.htm

The mattress tip is a very good idea - and don't forget - think thrice, measure twice, cut once - you might find an old post of mine where I wrote the length of the mattress down in a mental note to myself then forgot where I put it...:-