PDA

View Full Version : Hexagon Not

wheelinround
4th August 2008, 04:47 PM
This was/is a present for a gent who recently retired from my daughters work, who gave me an electric motor.:2tsup:

The camphor blank had a noticeable crack right through it and was a tad oversized for the Jet Mini just under 10 inches dia. Rather than make it round I decided to cut it hexagonal :o the crack internal had a void big enough to stick a scribe into a full 4 inches and wiggle it around :doh:.

I plugged any where I could see a leak may occur with Blutac didn't have plasticine and tape wouldn't stick due to the Camphor Oil. Mixed some casting resin and poured it in till it started to leak and overflow. Poked about to release air bubbles and poured some more, left to set for a few weeks until I could get it on the lathe.

Created a tenon and turned out the centre to a point I felt comfortable with, I wanted to know how far I could go before it would disintrigrate:B.

The cavity ran right through about 1/3 across from the edge to edge, but by twist of fate didn't join up right in the middle.

It held well, I left about 3/4" around the edge so I could work the outside and Ornamental decorate it also. I was attempting to under turn the hexagonal outside when low and behold another cavity showed up well inside :doh: this destroyed the idea so back to basic bowl shape it went.

Bowl ended up being 200 dia x 70 h x 5mm wall sanded wet n dry to 400. Spray Lacquer sanded again to 600 sprayed, again with 1200 then Triple E.

ss_11000
4th August 2008, 05:24 PM
nice:2tsup:...i especially like the resin:cool2:

artme
4th August 2008, 05:43 PM
Very tasty Wheelin.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Pity it didn't go exactly to plan but a great result anyway.

Ad de Crom
4th August 2008, 06:17 PM
Wheelin, looks very good boy, oh well plans, sometimes you have to change what you have planned, I call that flexible thinking :D

Ad :2tsup:

munruben
4th August 2008, 07:19 PM
Good work Ray:2tsup:

funkychicken
5th August 2008, 06:46 AM
Last time I turned something that cracked I got a new avatar:doh:

Good work Ray:2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
5th August 2008, 09:26 AM
:think: I'd be nervous, but then, I've been hit on the head with half a bowl. :D

hughie
5th August 2008, 11:27 AM
I'd be nervous, but then, I've been hit on the head with half a bowl.

:U been there,didn't hit, just showered wooden shrapnel all around me.....an emotional time :o :C :U

nice save, a braver man than me.

PsychoPig7
5th August 2008, 01:17 PM
Ray, that's what i call an excellent 'save'. i would probably have used the block for firewood, but am now inspired by your efforts. very nice piece of work and looks great.
Cheers

orraloon
5th August 2008, 10:26 PM
As said an excellent save. I don't think I would have stuck with one that badly flawed. Top marks for hanging in there.

wheelinround
6th August 2008, 06:01 PM
:U Thank you all for the positive comments

It had many scary moments I can tell you that much. Yes I have had shrapnel hits to saving grace with this was holding it in compression mode rather than expanssion.

Tried the same with another smaller piece of camphor to make a pencil pen holder cup.

Resin held well until a tidy up last pass inside :no: problem was I was using jaws of the chuck in expanding mode the force must have just go the better of it. :doh: Good job the face shield was in use:2tsup:

I'd venture this way again but colour the resin next time :2tsup:

artme
6th August 2008, 07:58 PM
[quote=funkychicken;782056]Last time I turned something that cracked I got a new avatar:doh:

:rotfl::roflmao::rotfl: Funniest thing I've read for quite a while.