PDA

View Full Version : My first steps...

ficfac
6th August 2008, 02:41 PM
Hi all,

these are my first few creations in the world of turning. I'm pretty happy with the results so far, and I'm sure I'll only get better with experience. I think learning to sharpen is quite high on my list.:)

Cheers! p.s: sorry about the crappy photo quality!

ss_11000
6th August 2008, 02:51 PM
great start!:2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
6th August 2008, 03:12 PM
n ice job
bye Toni

Woodwould
6th August 2008, 03:38 PM
An excellent beginning and with the right attitude too: Starting with small useful items offers speedy gratification which in turn is a great confidence booster. Keep it coming. :2tsup:

Ad de Crom
6th August 2008, 07:12 PM
Ficfac, a very good start, yes practice is the magic word.
Keep em coming.
Ad :2tsup:

tea lady
6th August 2008, 07:17 PM
'triffic. :2tsup: Fun isn't it. :cool:

artme
6th August 2008, 07:52 PM
are hooked! :D:p
Bloody good stuph.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

joe greiner
6th August 2008, 08:32 PM
Great beginnings, ficfac. What they all said.

You're absolutely right about sharpening. By coincidence, our WT club's demo last night was on sharpening. All agreed that whatever fancy jigs you may (or may not) use, key is consistency. This way, each tool behaves as expected, so as to eliminate that variable from all the others. There are heaps of DIY sharpening jigs on the weird wild web; use Google to best advantage.

And yes to practise; even deliberate failure can be a great teacher (preferably without injury, of course).

Joe

ficfac
6th August 2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks all!
yup I'm certainly hooked. speaking of which, I saw a thread on making a hook tool. might have to give it a go. I scored a box of small bowl blanks with my lathe so it's time to start making chrissie gifts!
Cheers! :D

Mollywood
6th August 2008, 09:43 PM
Sharp is definitely a challenge!
But I'm learning.

Great work ficfac.

thefixer
6th August 2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks all!
yup I'm certainly hooked. speaking of which, I saw a thread on making a hook tool. might have to give it a go. I scored a box of small bowl blanks with my lathe so it's time to start making chrissie gifts!
Cheers! :D

You're off to really good start there ficfac. Twas I who started the thread on the hook tool and if you have gear and knowhow I highly recommend giving it a go. It's a great way to start with turning hollow stuff.

Cheers
Shorty

Cliff Rogers
6th August 2008, 10:21 PM
:2tsup:

ficfac
6th August 2008, 10:22 PM
Yeah cheers shorty, the link to the instructions was a bonus, and i reckon i could probably manage. the way it hollows out looks unreal!

TTIT
6th August 2008, 11:15 PM
:doh: That reminds me - the daughter wanted a rolling pin. All these years and tons of wood turned and not a single rolling pin produced - go figure :shrug:

Looks like you're on a roll Ficfac. Have a ball :2tsup: