PDA

View Full Version : Indexing ring for mc1100

thefixer
8th August 2008, 12:15 AM
G'day all

After all the responses I got from my post about the home made hook tool, I decided to show off my (you guessed it) home made indexing ring. I've never actually seen one but figured that it cant be all that hard to make something that locks the lathe shaft into the desired increments.
It is basically a half inch (or whatever the metric equivalent is) plywood disc with 32 evenly :rolleyes: spaced holes drilled at a pre determined radii. The disc was then attached to a collar turned from walnut which fits the headstock shaft and has two screws to lock it onto the shaft. I then attached a slide latch to the top of the head stock, removed the existing sliding pin and made my own slide pin to suit the purpose. You may notice in one of the pics that the slide pin has an "s" bend in it. The reason for this is that if the pin is straight it tends to flex and the index ring moves. When I insert the pin into the ring and rotate it 90 deg the "S" bend acts as a cam and locks the index ring very firmly (pretty nifty huh?) Yeah, Ok the "S" was made to compensate for a miscalculation, but it worked for the better:wink: Then I welded up a frame that fits into the banjo and has a sort of portable drill press thingy in it. I can then fit a drill or router into it.
After all that work I hope I can find a use for it one day.:oo:

Cheers
Shorty

wheelinround
8th August 2008, 08:52 AM
:2tsup: Top stuff now for some fancy Ornamentation

Shame the motor is restricting things but a quick swing to other side and now worries

joe greiner
8th August 2008, 10:55 PM
Well done, Shorty.

This should work on any lathe with adequate spindle projection. And the S-bend seems to provide an additional 32 positions, although they might not be at the same pitch. (That's not exactly what I mean; I'm thinking oo oo oo ). The latch looks stout enough to resist flexing; bit of a surprise that it isn't. Straight up would provide another 32 positions.

Did you use CAD (or similar) for locating the drilled holes? Or do you have access to a machine shop with full indexing capability?

Joe

thefixer
8th August 2008, 11:38 PM
Well done, Shorty.

This should work on any lathe with adequate spindle projection. And the S-bend seems to provide an additional 32 positions, although they might not be at the same pitch. (That's not exactly what I mean; I'm thinking oo oo oo ). The latch looks stout enough to resist flexing; bit of a surprise that it isn't. Straight up would provide another 32 positions.

Did you use CAD (or similar) for locating the drilled holes? Or do you have access to a machine shop with full indexing capability?

Joe

CAD? Nup, too old for that stuff. Used a compass and rule. Remember those things? You may have seen them in a museum somewhere:p Combined with patience and dexterity. Worked in the old days, still works now.:wink:

Cheers
Shorty

Harry72
8th August 2008, 11:43 PM
Looks like fun Shorty :)

Pity you couldn't mount it outboard(?), it would give you much more clearance.

orraloon
11th August 2008, 02:45 PM
Thats really well done Shorty,
Where there's a will there's a way!:2tsup:
Regards
John