PDA

View Full Version : It's arrived... at last!

Chipman
8th August 2008, 09:50 PM
Hi, Everyone,

Just letting you know my lathe has arrived and its yellow! My little Woodfast M305.:U

It took nearly 3 months to show up but it is here now. I have actually had it for just on 2 weeks but waited to post it until I had made my first project on it.

I have actually been turning for awhile on a lathe at work. Used my own tools and chuck but it is great to have one at home.... I am still waiting for the bed extension.

Here is a picture of it.
Cheers,

Chipman:)

Chipman
8th August 2008, 09:59 PM
One of the teachers at school left Today (a temp while one of our regulars was on long service leave) so as a parting gift, I made a small bowl and filled it with chocolates....

Here is how it was made

Wood, blackwood 225 x 140 x 35 thick
Originally I was going to turn it as a rectangle with handles on it(enjoyed turning a square previously) but decided it really isn't worth the risk so I glued some scraps of redgum on the sides and cut it round on the band saw. To maximise the thickness of the piece, I glued a mounting block on the back.

Chipman
8th August 2008, 10:09 PM
I cut a pocket with a 50mm Forstner bit in the front of the bowl blank and mounted on the chuck.

The outside back of the bowl was then turned and a tenon turned on the mounting block. The curve was also created for the handles.

Next the blank was removed and turned around (reversed) and mounted by the tenon so that the top and inside of the bowl could be turned.

After everything was sanded to 800 grit, the mounting block was part way cut through with the parting tool and then cut off with a saw.

Next a groove was cut in a disc of mdf to hold the front of the bowl by its inner ring and held in place by its fit and some double-sided tape. The remains of the mounting block was turned away and the bottom detail finished and sanded.

Here are the pics of the bowl before shaping the handles. Note the "gloss" on the photos is natural...just the wood after fine sanding....

Chipman
8th August 2008, 10:19 PM
Several of my friends thought that I should have stopped with the redgum still on like a wide brimmed plate but I stuck to my original design concept...

I cut the redgum strips off, created a paper pattern of the handle shape and drew it out on the bowl rim and then shaping it with the band saw. I then used a drum sander (drill press) and a Dremel to take the ridge off the side of the bowl. This was followed by quite a bit of careful hand sanding.

The finish is six coats of lacquer followed by a cut and polish. here are the pics of the finished article (The lady who got it was quite impressed but I would be grateful to receive any advice or criticisms from you forumites as I am still learning this exciting craft)

Here are the Pics

Cheers,

Chipman
8th August 2008, 10:33 PM
The lathe I have normally used is and older woodfast (green mc900?). The small one performed well. I only stalled it once but that was not the motor...it was that I had not tensioned the belt enough. The only issue I really have is the diameter that can be turned (300mm). While this is fine for the bowl itself, the problem comes when you need to use a larger disk as a jamb chuck to grab the outside of a bowl but this is a problem with most medium/small lathes with a fixed headstock. Since most of the things I turn are small to medium, this little lathe with an extension will do at least 90% of what I want for a very reasonable $395) so I am very happy with it at this point in time

I am hoping to solve the bowl turning problem soon as I have been collecting the parts to build a dedicated bowl turning lathe. I have the shaft(1 inch 10 TPI), bearings, motor, and hopefully the pulleys soon. (Christmas holidays looks like the time to build it)

An even happier woodturner:D

Chipman

TTIT
8th August 2008, 10:39 PM
Very nicely done Chipman :2tsup: Had a big thing written about the high gloss finish but bugger it - it's your cat - skin it any way you like :;:U Good job!

Cliff Rogers
8th August 2008, 10:44 PM
:2tsup:

My first thought was the same as Vern... the high gloss.

It will sell but not everybody likes it.

Chipman
8th August 2008, 10:56 PM
:2tsup:

My first thought was the same as Vern... the high gloss.

It will sell but not everybody likes it.

I don't sell any thing! only a hobbyist and just gifts... I agree, this one is more glossy than I like... normally if I use lacquer it is 35% gloss (or satin with polyurethane) but I knew what this lady liked so glossy it was....

Cheers,

Chipman :)

Harry72
8th August 2008, 11:36 PM
Congrats on your new toy!

The bowl look pretty good to me, I disagree about the gloss everyone who looks at one of my creations thats not super shiney asks why its not when they compare it too my other turnings...

artme
8th August 2008, 11:50 PM
Goodonya Chipman and a great start.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Woodwould
9th August 2008, 12:05 AM
:D (That's me being happy for you and gree with envy!)

joe greiner
9th August 2008, 01:01 AM
Top-notch, Chipman. Excellent in every way.

Joe

robutacion
9th August 2008, 02:42 AM
Several of my friends thought that I should have stopped with the redgum still on like a wide brimmed plate but I stuck to my original design concept...

I cut the redgum strips off, created a paper pattern of the handle shape and drew it out on the bowl rim and then shaping it with the band saw. I then used a drum sander (drill press) and a Dremel to take the ridge off the side of the bowl. This was followed by quite a bit of careful hand sanding.

The finish is six coats of lacquer followed by a cut and polish. here are the pics of the finished article (The lady who got it was quite impressed but I would be grateful to receive any advice or criticisms from you forumites as I am still learning this exciting craft)

Here are the Pics

Cheers,

Hi Chipman (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/member.php?u=18690)<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_784143", true); </SCRIPT> ,

I like this piece of yours, for colour, degree of difficulty and the medium gloss finish. I like any possible timber finishes, inclueding raw. I also like gloss and high gloss finishes, regardless how they are obtained (products). I accept gloss finish doesn't go well with some timber and designs but, I have always wonder why so much "negativity" by some wood turners on this type finish. I haven't yet got a sensible and clear response to this gloss issue thing!, what is it? not natural...? excuse me!:D

Anyway, well done Chipman, get them coming...!:wink:

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Fredo
9th August 2008, 09:00 AM
G'day Chipman - Congrats on the new lathe. I really like the bowl, the shape is great. I'm impressed, keep up the good work.

Fredo :U

Cliff Rogers
9th August 2008, 09:45 AM
..... I haven't yet got a sensible and clear response to this gloss issue thing!, what is it? .....

As has already been said, it is not everybody's cup of tea.
Some like it glossy, some don't.

Glossy looks & feels plastic to me.

I like oil & wax finishes.

When I was selling stuff at the markets, the competition had finished their work in glossy lacquer or polyurethane & I had used either DO, Shellawax Cream &/or Trad wax.
People would ask why my work looked & felt so much nicer that the other stuff.
They wanted to know what I did that was different.

I'm sure that there were other people standing over at the competition's stall saying exactly the same thing to them.

Some like it glossy, some don't. :cool:

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, it is just that they usually have a much higher opinion of their own opinion than everybody else's opinion of their opinion. :D

Jim Carroll
9th August 2008, 10:19 AM
Nice work Chipman good to see you thing out of the norm.

As to the gloss no gloss argument. It is one of those things that has no middle ground some like it some hate it.
It all comes down to the individual peice and who wants it.

As in Chipmans case he knew the lady liked gloss as most do and that is what he supplied. Why do you think ladys like bling , not because it is dull.

Chipman
9th August 2008, 10:46 AM
I am very lucky, as woodwork is my hobby (obsession!) I don't have to rely on my woodwork (in this case turning) for a living...I can choose what I want to turn and how I want to finish it. (Sadly the time will come when I will have to at least sell some or I won't be able to continue with it... it all depends on having an income) While I can, I want to leave money right out of it, as in some ways, it restricts your creativity and you have to appeal to the majority rather than individuals. Coming up with a concept, designing it, and carrying it out brings a lot of personal satisfaction.

Anyway, because what I turn is for gifts, I simply do my homework and find out what they like (without them knowing). Most people I know are just wrapped that someone would take the time to design and make something original for them. The icing on the cake, so to speak, is to see the reaction of the recipient when they get it.

Now for me personally, I like a range of finishes...the most common I use is satin wipe on poly.... it acts as a filler, is durable and the degree of gloss can be tweaked a little by the way you finish it. Downside... it is a slow process and for me can take up to a week to complete. (Drying time between coats and sanding between coats)

Lacquer is faster and in an evening after work, I can easily get a build up of 5 or 6 light coats and you can buy it in a range of gloss finishes (I usually use 35%). Downside.. more plasticy in appearance and definitely not a grain filler for open-grain timbers. as even if you sand it dead flat, when the next coat of lacquer goes on, it softens underneath and takes on the shape of the open grain underneath and looks quite ugly IMHO. The only way to get a flat finish is to cut the last coat back and polish it. You have to be very careful to avoid picking up too much gloss.

With these finishes (poly and lacquer) the best result comes from burnishing it with oil and leave it for a week to go off hard and then spray it. (seals it and acts as a filler). I always finish them of with a good wax polish on top too.

Waxes and oils...I am still trying to master this!!! I love the finish from shellawax when it is done right. Once I master it, I can see myself using it most of the time.

Then there are the pen turners with CA and other special brews!!!!

Natural finish... If you look at the picture of the bowl above before the handles were shaped, it looks a nice level of gloss without any finish. I made a mortar and pestle for my wife out of Jarrah (black streak) and there is absolutely no finish on it and it has the most beautiful soft low sheen...

Another consideration is the object itself...
Since the handles had to be formed/shaped after turning, how could you wax it on the lathe? I don't know how. I often find that heavily figured woods like fiddleback redgum look better with a gloss as it draws you to the grain rather than the shape. With a more plain wood, a lower gloss level to draw you to the shape rather than the blandness of the wood.

I still see myself as a beginner (always will) and have a keen desire to learn new techniques and perfect the ones I already have. That is what is so great about these forums...people are always willing to share their knowledge and opinions and I for one really appreciate it. And we all love pictures of each others work!

Thanks for the remarks/advice/opinions/encouragement

Cheers,

TTIT
9th August 2008, 02:51 PM
.......... Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, it is just that they usually have a much higher opinion of their own opinion than everybody else's opinion of their opinion. :D:U I like that one :U

robutacion
9th August 2008, 06:28 PM
:U I like that one :U

Yeah, me too...!:D
Is this an original from you Cliff? if it is or not, still is a bloody beauty...!:;

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Little Festo
9th August 2008, 07:20 PM
Re the gloss and matte/non gloss. Both can feel nice to touch. Some of my oiled pieces end up glossy when the finishing process is finished, generally after several oilings, depends on the timber too.

When I lacquer I sand between coats and so my pieces don't end up with a thick layer of lacquer. The Photo Gloss type finishes can end up feeling a bit "plasticy". Also find that a glossy finish can make some faults stand out a bit more, harder to photograph too. Glossy lacquers can also be rubbed back with OOOO Steel wool and wax (canubra is good) to take some of the shine off.

Guess it's personal taste but I don't mind either finish if it's well done.

Happy turning - Peter

artme
9th August 2008, 09:36 PM
:DI have an opinion- now isn't that a revalation!?

There is a difference between a gloss and a lustre. I prefer a lustre, but gloss can be good in the right circumstance.

Chipman
9th August 2008, 10:08 PM
:DI have an opinion- now isn't that a revalation!?

There is a difference between a gloss and a lustre. I prefer a lustre, but gloss can be good in the right circumstance.

Your right for sure...it is that soft lustre that I personally like most of all:2tsup:

Cheers,

Cliff Rogers
10th August 2008, 12:04 AM
...Is this an original from you Cliff? ...
Yup, it just fell out of me one Saturday, just after closing time at a motor bike shop in Townsville about 17 years ago now... everybody was standing around having a beer & a, then mate, of mine who had a fairly high opinion of his own opinion was voicing it & said some thing like "Well, that is my opinion."

He is no longer a mate... we had a difference of opinion. :D