PDA

View Full Version : Some more firsts from a novice

Ashes
9th August 2008, 01:49 PM
Thought I'd just show off some of my recent work. I'll still very much a novice at turning and can still count the number of pieces I've done on a couple of hands.
I'm still at the stage of making smaller items to get some different techniques under my belt.

Attached is...
- Cypress pine trinket box with brush box finial that I made to a drawing for my local wood turning club (our monthly project). Finished with EEE and Shellawax. Thought the cypress would be easy to turn but it had its own challenges as it was pretty dry and a few cracks through it. The bowl is arround 100mm in diameter

- The second is my first attempt at some hollowing and undercutting. This bowl is about 85mm in diameter. It is a piece of redgum and taught me a fair bit about the need for sharp tools:o

Cliff Rogers
9th August 2008, 02:00 PM
Looks good. :2tsup:

I don't much like the lid siting down in the bowl, makes it look a bit like a sugar bowl but that is just me. :think:

I'd also like a side on view of the little red one to look at the profile, the foot looks a bit small from the angle shown.

artme
9th August 2008, 03:53 PM
Nice work Ashes! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ashes
9th August 2008, 06:39 PM
The red piece does have a small foot so I'd appreciate some advice on "rules of thumb" for bowl feet size if there is such a thing.

I manged to finish another piece this afternoon after some assistance and pointers given on Thursday from Bill from my woodturning club.

This took a bit longer than I thought as the blank did have some rot in it which required some filling. I think dimensionally this one worked out better. It was some Camphor Laurel finished with Shellawax. This one is about 9" in diameter.

Ad de Crom
9th August 2008, 09:08 PM
Ashes, very very nice work. You called yourself a novice turner, well it looks to me like you are turning for years. Everyone has his own style of turning, and I think that's what count. Seeing all the different approaches makes woodturning so wonderful.
Keep up your good work.

Ad :2tsup:

artme
9th August 2008, 09:28 PM
Ashes, I guess you could say this is a hoary old Chestnut.
My personal view is that what pleases the eye is good. Usually designs that fall into the Golden Mean proportions are the most pleasing.
Check this out here and on other websites to get more information.

Cliff Rogers
9th August 2008, 11:58 PM
The red piece does have a small foot so I'd appreciate some advice on "rules of thumb" for bowl feet size if there is such a thing......
Beginners can't go wrong (to a point. :D) if they aim for a foot size that it roughly 1/3 the overall diameter.
There are exceptions but this is the general rule of thumb. :2tsup:

joe greiner
10th August 2008, 12:06 AM
Very fine work on the undercuts, Ashes, especially the small red one.

You asked about rules of thumb. You can get a wee leg up by considering about one third for the bottom diameter, and placing the "equator" at about 0.6 of the overall height. But like they said, whatever pleases the eye. You seem to have the old "smooth flowing curves" advice under control.

Ya beat me to it, Cliff. Again.

Joe

orraloon
11th August 2008, 02:27 PM
Good work there Ashes,
For a starter very good. Better than some I have seen on stalls at some wood shows.
You noticed the small foot on the red one yourself but in the end what one person likes may not be someone else's taste. You are never going to please everyone anyhow.
You are getting a good finish on them too.

Regards
John

Ashes
17th August 2008, 04:47 PM
Sure as hell beats working!!

Had some fun with some Olive today and found it pretty challenging to work with. It was dry, had some deep cracks and I was turning quite a small piece.

What did I learn today.... CA GLUE IS YOUR FRIEND:B

When all seems lost, a little CA fixes everything...pretty much.

I haven't filled the big cracks in the wood, thought I'd leave it as natural as possible with just a wax finish and no filling

artme
17th August 2008, 09:19 PM
Tomorrow you will learn that CA glue is a two edged sword.:D:D:D

Just a point on that lastest work. IMHO the lid is a little too large and heavy. Turning looks fine.:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
18th August 2008, 06:06 AM
Hi Ashes....

What the other guys said......for a "novice" your doing very well.:2tsup:

As you've no doubt found out, undercutting a rim presents it's own particular challanges...especially in sanding the inside curve, but it appears that your up for the challange. Especially like the Camphor Laurel piece. Might I suggest an experiment for your next undercut rim...instead of having the rim inside circumfrence dip down, elevate it a bit and see if that works for your overall design.

Ed :D

Ashes
18th August 2008, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I appreciate the feedback and suggestions.:)

hughie
19th August 2008, 12:02 PM
Might I suggest an experiment for your next undercut rim...instead of having the rim inside circumfrence dip down, elevate it a bit and see if that works for your overall design.

I agree with Ed. Perhaps a bit like this.

wheelinround
19th August 2008, 04:59 PM
all nice turning Ashes

Love that camphor bowl hughie

Ashes
19th August 2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the pic Hughie. Very nice indeed:2tsup:

I'll definately be having a crack (hopefully not needing CA) at a similar piece.