PDA

View Full Version : dust mask

ficfac
10th August 2008, 10:42 PM
What's the general opinion about the 'Dust Bee Gone' nuisance dust mask? I currently use a twin filter respirator, but these material ones look a lot more comfy. Are they worth the money? (about $40-$60). Cheers!:?

mpax356
11th August 2008, 08:35 AM
I have been using one for a couple of years. Does a fair job keeping the bulk of the dust out of the lungs. Much more comfortable than a respirator which does not fit under my face mask. I think an 80% solution used all of the time is probably better than a 99% solution that is seldom used. Lately I have been using some cheap surgical masks that loop over the ears. Not sure how much they filter but sure are easier to get on an off when wearing glasses. I have to take my glasses off before I put on or take off my Dust B Gone or they get all tangled.

rsser
11th August 2008, 04:57 PM
If you have face fungus, then I'm afraid you need either a tight fitting rubber mask with cartridges with vaseline smeared over your beard, or else a filtered visor.

If not, the DBG has had favorable comments from turners but for their life they seem exxy to me.

Shutterbug
11th August 2008, 05:56 PM
Hey guys. I've been using a Drager Picolla FFP2V dust mask for a few years now and am very happy with it. It's made out of a 'felt like' material and is very comfortable on.
What's more, they cost about $4 each.

AndyCJ
12th August 2008, 09:47 AM
Shutterbug - I really like the look of those Drager masks - where do you get them from thou? I've only found online sources that charge $145+gst for a pack of 15! That's $10 each. Also - how long do they last? Have you been using the same one for a few years??
Cheers,
Andy

Shutterbug
12th August 2008, 10:09 AM
Andy - I bought five 10 weeks ago for $3.59 + gst ea. from an Auto accessories and paint supplier called CARPLUS here in Sydney 1408 - 1410 Pittwater Road North Narrabeen 2101 Ph: 02 9913 3511
On my receipt it is called a, 'Drager Piccola P1 Mask Disposable'.
The last one I used lasted about two years. It didn't wear out, just got too dirty.
I haven't tried washing it. Why bother when a new one costs so little.

Mike

hughie
12th August 2008, 11:04 AM
When it comes to dust you can not be too careful. Check out Joe Greiners post on it. Very enlightening and a bit scary It talks about the need to go down to .5micron. in the filter medium.

Most OHS reports these days view all wood dust as toxic, so ventilate and blow the stuff away, wear good respirators. By the time you find out you have a problem with dust, usually the damage is done...................carcinomas etc

AndyCJ
12th August 2008, 11:49 AM
So - what's the difference between P1 and P2, and a filtered respirator then? Is a filter the only way to get to 5 micron?

Shutterbug
12th August 2008, 12:03 PM
A filtered respirator is something different altogether. More high tech and much more money.

The P2 has a small exhaust valve on the side. The P1 doesn't.
I don't know what the minimum filtration level on these is.

Mike