PDA

View Full Version : An ill wind

orraloon
11th August 2008, 04:14 PM
Hi all,
The storm 10 days ago damaged a Silky Oak in the front yard and left a big part of the top hanging over the house. This made it a dangerous tree and under the local council rules can be removed without approval. I got the loppers round and they got it down with only a cracked front window for damage. Could have been worse. As the windfall had blown in favor of the lopper I found something good by keeping the trunk for future turnings. It is about 12'' thick on average and I sealed the ends and stored it away to dry. The biggest bits I have removed the pith. I am hopeful it will not be so prone to splitting as she oak. Any tips on silky drying would be appreciated.
Regards
John

rsser
11th August 2008, 04:51 PM
Lucky haul. Can be good stuff to turn, with those strong rays.

Lots has been posted on your issue in the past.

As you've done, I'd be blocking the stuff down with a chainsaw ASAP, removing the pith from every bit, and sealing the end grain. After that, leave it for a year an inch, or follow the std advice for green roughing.

There's lots of species of SO as I'm sure you'd know; some comes up ordinary, other types more than.

Best of British with it.

PS: SO is no more an 'oak' than Casuarina is. It's a grevillia; takes the common name of oak because of the rays. Though AFAIK it's less treacherous in drying than C.

artme
11th August 2008, 06:48 PM
Good score mate.:):) Don't let it get damp.

underfoot
11th August 2008, 07:06 PM
and the sapwood is just about lyctus borers favorite food
A mate of mine used to scatter blocks of silky sapwood around his timber racks
they would ignore everything in favour of them, when he saw the borer dust he'd toss them in the fire and replace them, never got any in his good stuff

wheelinround
11th August 2008, 07:40 PM
Gives new meaning to grow your own :2tsup::2tsup:

orraloon
12th August 2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the replies. I kept a few in the round to try end grain stuff. They have a few side branches that should make a nice feature. I will give them a spray of something to try and hold the borers at bay. All I have to do now is wait.
Regards
John

hughie
12th August 2008, 10:53 AM
Its great stuff to turn, well done...:U As Ern has said, get it sealed and out of the sun and wind asap. I have had little problems with turning it and found it to be quite stable. It responds well to oil and buffing, depending what type you have it can, it can be stunning timber or a bit ordinary. I think from memory theres about 60+ varieties, no doubt TTIT will be able to help with the final analysis of what you have

:2tsup:

Alastair
12th August 2008, 12:20 PM
Just be aware that a fair percentage of people are very sensitive to the dust, and can suffer quite bad reaction.

If that is the case, I would be willing to save you from such a fate, as I am immune!!

:D:D:D

Cliff Rogers
12th August 2008, 01:44 PM
Silky Oak Cardwellia sublimus
Silky Oak Darlingia darlingiana
Silky Oak Darlingia ferruginea
Silky Oak Darlingia spectatissima
Silky Oak Gevuina bleasdalei
Silky Oak Grevillea hilliana
Silky Oak Grevillea robusta
Silky Oak Helicia lamingtoniana
Silky Oak Lomatia fraxinifolia
Silky Oak Macadamia whelanii
Silky Oak Orites excelsa
Silky Oak Turrillia bleasdalei

My latest hoard. (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=76753)

TTIT
12th August 2008, 11:16 PM
Orraloon - mix up some Borax in really hot water and pour it all over the blanks (watering can works well). My old man did all his Silky that way and had no bug problems at all.

I.............. depending what type you have it can, it can be stunning timber or a bit ordinary. I think from memory theres about 60+ varieties, no doubt TTIT will be able to help with the final analysis of what you have

:2tsup:Gimme a break :o - if it doesn't grow around here, I'm as confused as anyone else :; BUT, I do know a very knowledgeable gentleman in Townsville who's specialty is the 'Silky oaks' and he's collected nearly all the 30 or so species that grow in QLD. The most spectacular has to be Black silky oak (stenocarpus reticulatus) - has the same ray pattern and texture etc as the common Silky but is as dark as! (Number 120 in the collection (http://web.aanet.net.au/ttit/eggpage/alleggs.htm#91.))

Silky Oak Cardwellia sublimus
Silky Oak Darlingia darlingiana
Silky Oak Darlingia ferruginea
Silky Oak Darlingia spectatissima
Silky Oak Gevuina bleasdalei
Silky Oak Grevillea hilliana
Silky Oak Grevillea robusta
Silky Oak Helicia lamingtoniana
Silky Oak Lomatia fraxinifolia
Silky Oak Macadamia whelanii
Silky Oak Orites excelsa
Silky Oak Turrillia bleasdalei

My latest hoard. (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=76753)Better add that one to your list Cliff :;:U

Cliff Rogers
13th August 2008, 09:55 AM
...Better add that one to your list Cliff :;:U
That list is from The Trees of Australia ABC (http://www.vwa.org.au/list_ta_abc.htm), it is sorted alphabetically so it doesn't get the ones that have a descriptor in front of them like Black, Northern, Small Leaf, etc.

rsser
13th August 2008, 12:25 PM
A useful thread.

Helps explain why I had one brilliant result and hunted down some more of it to get a very ordinary result the 2nd time around. Diff species clearly. The first was cream and took an excellent finish; the second was kinda beige and nothing would bring up a good satin sheen.

orraloon
14th August 2008, 12:27 PM
I roughed one out yesterday and it cut like cheese. So wet you could feel a fine spray off it and I had to wipe it dry to put on the sealer. I sealed the outside and the rim and will see how it is in a few months.

Cliff Rogers
14th August 2008, 09:59 PM
Itchy fingers now.... :sleez:
I'll see if I can sneak one of mine through the shed tomorrow. :sssh:

hughie
15th August 2008, 03:35 AM
gimme a break :o - if it doesn't grow around here, i'm as confused as anyone else :; but, i do know a very knowledgeable gentleman in townsville who's specialty is the 'silky oaks' and he's collected nearly all the 30 or so species that grow in qld. The most spectacular has to be black silky oak (stenocarpus reticulatus) - has the same ray pattern and texture etc as the common silky but is as dark as! (

:u........................................................:u........................................:u