PDA

View Full Version : English Oak

Darrell
7th March 2004, 09:52 PM
What is the best wood for turning,is English Oak a good wood for turning I don't know a lot about timber any info would be a help

Jackson
10th March 2004, 12:24 AM
Darrell

I was once given a piece of Oak from a supplier who thought the timber was too flawed to sell. I turned a bowl out of it that came up beautifully. It was burl timber so it was well figured. My recollection is that it was a good timber to turn and polish.

As for what is the best timber, I guessing that could start a lengthy debate. There are many many timbers that have excellent turning qualities and some that are best suited to particular applications. It's really horses for courses.

A lot of woodturning texts include a guide to timber and its qualities. You just need to find an Australian one.

At a club I used to be in a very new turner asked one of the acknowledged experts what sort if timber can be turned. The old fellow looked at hime and thought for a bit then said "I don't think a banana tree would turn real well, but I'd give most other things a go!"

BrianR
11th March 2004, 04:45 PM
English oak is good for turning, hard and finishes well. However most woods are OK too and their different characters present challenges.

arose62
12th March 2004, 11:55 AM
A couple of different interpretations:

1) the best wood for turning is ...... free wood!

If you're starting out, you can make useful stuff from all sorts of offcuts. So far only the last 6 of my 120+ turned articles have been made from wood that I've bought, and even that's been $1.70 jarrah pickets from Bunnings.

2) the best wood for turning is .... green wood!

Green wood is much nicer to cut, and produces nice long shavings rather than clouds of dust. It does move and distort as it dries, but it also often fits into category 1) above.

Cheers,
Andrew

journeyman Mick
12th March 2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by arose62

1) the best wood for turning is ...... free wood!

Andrew
Maaate, the best wood for anything is free wood! My wife swears that I'm only in the building game so I can bring stuff home from work!

Mick