PDA

View Full Version : What lathe and how much???

justin79
12th August 2008, 11:18 AM
Had bought a lathe thru trading post ( mc900 ) went to pick it up and he had sold it before i got there damm. will be buying a new one but does anybody have advice on with brand for a beginner and where to buy from , and prices ???

thanks p.s i live in brizzy

robyn2839
12th August 2008, 12:42 PM
can buy new one for $379 at northwood tools narangaba....bob

justin79
13th August 2008, 12:53 AM
would a gmc mc1000 be anygood for a beginner

artme
13th August 2008, 08:25 AM
I personally would steer clear of the GMC.

Look at Jet, Woodfast, and the feneric MC900s like Hafco and Carbatec.

bowl-basher
13th August 2008, 08:49 AM
I have a MC900 look alike from GASWELD at around $350 they are not bad value
you will need to get a scroll chuck as I use this more than any other fixing method
Enjoy the addiction
Bowl -Basher:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

blue3.3
13th August 2008, 10:12 AM
ebay there is a couple of old nova lathes on at the moment even old they are good lathes just make sure the head and tail stocks line up correctly

AndyCJ
13th August 2008, 02:19 PM
I'd definatly be looking at the MC900 if you can afford it - Northwood seems the cheapest, and you could check out their chisels while you're there :)

If you want to start out for less money (remember you still need chisels and a bench grinder also!) then you can try eBay. I got mine from eBay recently - but it depends on how many are close to you as they are pickup only items. Check that they have at least 3/4hp motor, and that they have a morse taper at the head and tail - and preferably a common thread for chucks.

Good luck - look forward to seeing some new creations!
Cheers,
Andy

barnsey
13th August 2008, 02:52 PM
Hare & Forbes do a good beginners job at a good price.

Was my first. The chuck that comes with it is reasonable value too for starting off. Still using their chisels as well although have a lot more now but they still are regularly in hand.

I've now got a Nova, much better in the rigidity of the bed, head and stability. If you can get one in your budget it would be a good investment given what others have said.

Variable electronic speed would be my next want but you start to get into some money then.

Just a brief synopsis but hope it helps. I'm in Ormeau if you want to talk more. Send a PM if you want more info.

Jamie

munruben
13th August 2008, 07:20 PM
Gregory's at Richlands have the JET mini lathe for $365.

Harry72
13th August 2008, 09:03 PM
Id say seeming your in a big city, find and join a turning course/club and spend some time there, this way you will get the feel(the bug!)for it.
And then you will know if your completely hooked or just want to casually turn occasionally... you'll get good info from people 1st hand on whats good and whats not and what kind of budget you will need... and most importantly safety info.

nalmo
13th August 2008, 09:19 PM
I started out using my neighbor's mc900 and after being hooked for a few months, lashed out and bought a Nova 1624. Absolutely delighted with it and my neighbor admits he should have bought one of these instead. If you are serious about taking up turning, you won't regret the additional cost, which probably works out cheaper in the long run. I watched ebay for months, but nothing came up that I was interested in at a suitable price, and wouldn't you know it, as soon as I bought the Nova, there was one on ebay about 2 weeks later. But I'm happy.

munruben
14th August 2008, 03:11 PM
I watched ebay for months, but nothing came up that I was interested in at a suitable price, and wouldn't you know it, as soon as I bought the Nova, there was one on ebay about 2 weeks later. But I'm happy.The story of my life:) isn't it typical.

wm460
15th August 2008, 01:26 AM
If you want a good lathe get a Vicmarc VL300.
Get the best and you will never have to up grade.

Harry72
15th August 2008, 06:56 PM
What if he looses interest after a few months?
A Vicy is a big investment!(especially a VL300)

wm460
15th August 2008, 08:43 PM
What if he looses interest after a few months?
A Vicy is a big investment!(especially a VL300)

I would look after it, be a great scaifice but some one would have to do it.