PDA

View Full Version : Plano Glue Press Clamp

Robert WA
7th March 2004, 11:20 PM
I had a look at one of these clamps in the MIK online catalogue. Too expensive for the use I would give it.
Has anyone a source of a cheaper version or plans or ideas for a self made panel clamping system.

bitingmidge
8th March 2004, 07:57 AM
Robert,

Some years ago I managed to scrounge a dozen metre long offcuts of Dexion slotted angle (the stuff they build warehouse racks out of). I am guessing the angle is of 1.6mm steel and has approximately 50mm angles.

I screwed some 19 X 45 pine for the length of each piece as a bearing pad, then simply bolted two bits together making a sandwich of the workpiece.

If you had enough straight timber studs, you could do just as well by just using them, drilled through the overhanging ends and clamped together.

I used pipe clamps as well to keep the glued surfaces together.

Cost= $0 (I had the bolts), effectiveness=100%, mucking around time = less than it would have taken to hop in the car and buy some Plano's.

If the above description isn't good enough, let me know and I'll mock up a pair this evening and take a photo!

Cheers,

P

Dan
8th March 2004, 01:48 PM
There were a couple of alternatives discussed in a thread a while back, but you are probably already aware of them.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5343&highlight=plano+clamp

AlexS
8th March 2004, 06:35 PM
I made a similar setup to Bitingmidge's, using 4x2 pine. Drilled a series of 1/2" holes to take dowels, to accommodate various widths.

To use it, wax the pine to prevent adhesion, put dowels in the holes closest to the edges, nip up the nuts (not too tight), pack the sides of the pieces being glued up and apply pressure by driving in wedges between the workpiece and the dowels, then tighten the bolts.

Tonyz
9th March 2004, 04:46 PM
to bitingmadge, opps thats what I think of the Simpsons. Could you please post some photos sometime

bitingmidge
25th March 2004, 10:42 PM
Tonto,

I am currently far too slack (OK I'm too busy but the result is the same) to mock up the system until I have a job that needs them!

In the meantime here is a webpage (http://benchnotes.com/Wedge%20Clamps/wedge_clamps.htm) that pretty much explains it all, with a few other notes besides.

Regards,

P