PDA

View Full Version : tradeconnect.com.au - free connection to trades & materials - FAST!!

tradeconnect
8th March 2004, 12:40 AM
Hi y'all

Just a quick plug for our building & renovating website - www.tradeconnect.com.au

We offer Australia's only online national building materials mall with pricing and the ability to order over 150 companies products all from one place at guaranteed lowest prices.

We also offer a free trade locator service - a person simply advises of what work they need done. We then advise up to 20 of the appropriate trades of the person's job by SMS. Those that are interested respond directly to the customer (the trades each pay less than $1 per day to fund this service).

There's also plenty of tips and tricks to do with getting any job done right the first time round.

journeyman Mick
8th March 2004, 01:54 AM
Hmmm, wonder if these are the same wallies that rang me the other day, saying that they had customers seeking tradesmen in all areas of Australia, which, for a fee they could refer to me. My hardware store gives me better prices than bunnies, has a trade pricing hotline, gives me unsecured credit up to $10K a month and refers customers for no charge (after all, the more work I get, the more I buy off them.) What's more they don't ring me or SMS me trying to get my money, or clog my after hours recreational surfing with their infomercial/advertorial/whatever bumpf.
It's called SPAM and we don't want any thanks!

What is it with all these people? Just offer a good product/service, do a bit of conventional advertising if neccesary and you should get plenty of business. If you need to resort to these sorts of tactics to get business you must have a really crappy product or service- and you're telling people so!

Mick

ozwinner
8th March 2004, 08:13 AM
You tell 'em Mick, ;)

But realy, they are try to do you a favour, you know that.
Your their new pal, mate, buddy.
All for the low price of $1.99 per day plus GST.
Thats good value for a new friend.

Cheers, Al ( ps. the checks in the mail, my new friend )

tradeconnect
8th March 2004, 09:10 AM
Sorry Mick,

I don't want to sound rude, but why don't you check something out before bagging it?

We don't do the ring around inviting unchecked tradespeople to 'pay us money' - Trades register with us of their own accord (2,500 Australia wide all can't be wrong)

We don't SPAM at all - we only send qualified jobleads to our registered members by SMS.

Why SMS?

When a person needs any job done, they simply put a call thru to us or thru the web. We'll then send this out to up to 20 relevant trades - all licensed, all pre-screened, all guaranteed to turn up. Those that are interested then contact the person direct - so it saves the person trying to find someone that is available that actually wants the work.

There is no fee for the person looking for the tradespeople and the trades pay less than $1 per day to receive these leads.

Also, for the trades - SMS messages are free to receive and read, they're not interrupted with annoying phone calls (usually right at the wrong time), they only need to respond to the ones they want and delete the rest - the customer's name and number are on their phone in writing already so no more lost numbers).

When you say "why not use conventional advertising" - well guess who pays for 'conventional advertising' - it all gets added to the overheads of the company advertising, therefore the prices they sell their materials / services is higher - you do!!

Really, it's just a case of common sense that has been applied to a business model and using modern technology to it's best ability.

Matey - it sounds like you're happy living in your little box (a timber one at that I'm sure) and from the image I see on your posting - you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

The problem with people like you is that they'll spend the time to bag something rather than take the time to check it out.

Oops, now I do sound rude - but it just frustrates me no end when I spend all my time and efforts trying to assist both people needing trades and the trades needing work (as Al has mentioned) only to have your kind of attitude to work against.

rodm
8th March 2004, 09:18 PM
Fred,
Mick is a respected contributor to this forum and offers for free good sound advice.
We are all entitled to our opinions.
You trying to discredit Mick is not going to win you any points from me.

journeyman Mick
8th March 2004, 09:54 PM
Fred, I don't have a problem with your referal service per se. I do have a problem with all your posts being blatant advertising for your business.
Now I may have been stretching the meaning of "SPAM" somewhat, from its intended meaning of unsolicited email advertising but your posts on this board look, smell and taste like spam.

Yes I am happy in my little wooden box, much happier than when it was a huge crate and I had twenty blokes working for me, but the box is high quality timber, not crappy MDF. Yes I am old fashioned, because it works. I do quality work and I have no need to advertise because people I have worked for tell their friends, and they tell their friends and so on. As far as learning new tricks, well I'm always happy to learn something new if it's useful, but I doubt your service is of any use to me. Can I get a delivered on site price for a whole range of materials thru your service? Will I get that price within a few minutes of my phone call? (Call me old fashioned but I don't have a laptop with a mobile internet connection in my van.) Can I organise all the materials to be delivered at the one time (or maybe 2 seperate deliveries) with just the one call?
Fred, if your business model works, more power to you, but if it's working that well do you really need to post your ads here?

Mick

tradeconnect
8th March 2004, 10:24 PM
Wooooah there!!

My we are a touchy lot in here aren't we?

I had no intention of getting the crapper beaten outta me in this forum!!

The actual forum heading was "Timber and Hardware suppliers" - Add a link or other contact information for your favorite supplier, of timber and hardware, etc

so that's all I did - I can't help it if it is my own site now can I? I saw there was only 2 other postings and thought it couldn't hurt - ouch!!

Sorry if I've offended - I too came here for both touching up on info and advice, maybe also to offer some where possible.

journeyman Mick
8th March 2004, 10:47 PM
Fred, I'm sure that everyone will be happy to have you onboard for info and advice (or jokes, photos etc), but please, lay off (or at least minmise) your business plugs. The owners of this forum have probably plugged their products less in the year or so that I have been here than you have in the one day. Remember, "self praise is no praise at all". Welcome aboard.

Mick

BTW, this is the first time i've "flamed" anyone, anywhere. Unsolicited advertising is just becoming too all pervasive and I've just had my little grumble at it, junkmail in my post box everyday, spam in my email everyday, people calling me and trying to sell me advertising/horse gambling programs/ wine club memberships/work referrals everyday, flyers stuck under my wipers and now my favourite bulletin board!

Driver
8th March 2004, 11:44 PM
Quote:

"The owners of this forum have probably plugged their products less in the year or so that I have been here than you have in the one day." Quite.

One of the most valuable aspects of this bulletin board is the quality of the objective advice from people like Mick. It's offered freely and without any commercial slant. The fact that advice from Neil, and Christopha is equally objective and equally expert means that clumsy amateurs like me can rely on that advice as informative, authoritive and comprehensive.

I would personally hate to see my favourite BB become clogged with overtly commercial plugs.

Just my two bobs' worth.

Regards

Col

RETIRED
9th March 2004, 08:32 PM
It may be prudent at this time to back off a bit and read the rules.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion (except me) on this BB.

However this one is getting a little out of hand and we don't mind a little debate.

Fred, would you drop the URL in your signature?

As has been stated by a previous respondant this board contains a lot of information and it (hopefully) will continue to retain its good natured and informative approach to most topics.

The only thing that has changed in the rules is the fact that we have a traders forum where advertising is permitted.

Please read the rules.

Bb Rules For All
Considering the real-time nature of this bulletin board, it is impossible for us to constantly review messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this BB or any entity associated with this BB. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB.

The owner, administrators and moderators of this BB reserve the right to delete any message or members for any or no reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless this BB, U-Beaut Enterprises the administrators, moderators, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).

We at this BB also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you. We also reserve the right without prejudice to ban any member from posting or using the Bulletin Board.

There is a forums on this Bulletin Board for Announcements in which you are most welcome to submit information about new products, services, web sites, meetings, exhibitions, etc. etc. This forum is for woodworking and related information only.

Please note that blatant advertising in any Forum other than Announcements Forum, and Buy Sell 'n' Swap Forum is inappropriate.

Chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are inappropriate on this BB and will be removed.

Using capitol letters in posts is considered as shouting, and is poor BB etiquette. Posts that are made entirely in capitols are harder for many people to read and may be deleted or changed.

Neil Ellis - U-Beaut Enterprises.

tradeconnect
10th March 2004, 08:58 AM
My sincere apologies to all (especially Mick & Neil !!)

I do think this forum is a very worthwhile effort and good in it's approach - I've even put a link to it on our info links page of our website

I have now read many of the submissions by you Mick and you do go to great lengths to assist people - I didn't mean to knock you.

I didn't mean to come 'barging in' as I have making a big noise.

I will resist the temptation to plug my services (I do tend to live and breathe it a bit too much - hey? The wife will attest to that)

rodm
10th March 2004, 10:51 AM
Welcome to the forum Fred.