PDA

View Full Version : MC1100/GMC Clone

BernieP
13th August 2008, 02:25 PM
G'Day All,

Got tired of taking Banjo off so I could do outboard turning, so by drilling larger hole 1"
I can use banjo off GMC. As these are the two cheapest lathes around makes my MC1100 more versatile.

Cheers
Bernie

orraloon
13th August 2008, 02:58 PM
Good one Bernie,
A true woodworker makes use of what is cluttering op the dark corners of the shed.
Regards
John

joe greiner
13th August 2008, 11:50 PM
I hope you have better luck than some folks with the elbow extension. A similar accessory came with my Harbor Freight 34706 (twin sister of MC900 AFAICT), and I wouldn't touch it with a 10-ft barge pole. I'd prefer a floor-mounted toolrest with fixture to the lathe bed when/if I get a round tuit for large turnings.

Joe

hughie
14th August 2008, 01:24 AM
Hmmm, never really trusted my out board set up on my MC1100, too flimsy and prone to vabration etc So made up a extension and floor mounted it with a 20mm dia steel rod. Now that I have it I dont seem to do much over size turning .

artme
14th August 2008, 07:24 AM
Good one Bernie!:2tsup::2tsup:
As the others say, I hope it gives no trouble.

BernieP
14th August 2008, 10:33 AM
G'Day Fellas

Thanks for ideas, has now prompted me to go back to drawing board and will make a drop down stay of some type to anchor to floor, any ideas would be appreciated as not really good at fabrication.

Cheers
Bernie

woodwork wally
14th August 2008, 09:08 PM
G'day Don't bother anchoring to the floor :no:. Anchor it to the banjo under the tool rest :2tsup:and to the lathe but have it so you can move your banjo and tool rest and the foot can move on the floor and stay vertical under the rest:2tsup: . takes the vibration out of everything and reduces the load on what is basically not very strong castings in the bed that could warp with the load :oo::oo:. this goes for all the mc900/1100 lathes and their clones but is also pertinent to most other lathes as well You only have to look at what comes with the outboard turning attachments supplied by the better manufacturers Regards to all WW.Wally