PDA

View Full Version : Opinion s on lathe wanted

Baldone
14th August 2008, 05:54 PM
This lathe is on ebay and local to me just looking for opinions on whether any good and what is value?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/WOOD-LATHE-DYNALINK-900MM-CENTER-10-SPEED-NEW_W0QQitemZ320282489095QQihZ011QQcategoryZ11810QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

New Dynalink
Cast Iron Base Position Tailstock anywhere along the bedVariable Speed Live CentreHeadstock Spur
310mm Swing Over Bed Ideal for Bowl Turning
Weight: 83kg
1HP Motor 152mm Centre Height
10 Speed PushRod
580 to 3000 RPM 900mm between Centres
Face Plate Stand included
Reversible Head User Manual
Headstock has 5 Preset Positions

artme
14th August 2008, 07:38 PM
Looks to me that at a price near the $300 - $350 mark you simply can't go wrong.

The lathe looks very much like many clones you see but just a little sturdier and heavier.

AndyCJ
14th August 2008, 07:45 PM
Bob,
That's a pretty common type lathe - it's a chinese brand (MC900 it's often referred to as) which gets rebadged by everyone around the places (Carbatec, Northwood etc). They are a very good lathe to start out with as a beginner. You could pick up one from Northwood for $375 new - that's about 4hrs drive, and probably close to $60 in petrol with prices like they are atm. However - you may get a 1yr or 2yr warrenty with that? you'de have to call Northwood.

If you havn't got any chisels, then you'll need those too, and I guess if you're starting out new then Northwood could be a good spot to browse for chisels also - they have good reviews on the net and here at the forum - have a search for them.

Their lathe of the same kind is found here:
http://www.northwoodtools.com.au/product.asp?pID=1110&cID=496

Good luck with the new purchase either way.

Baldone
14th August 2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks Andy Cj and artme
I am new to turning and looking for starting lathe so your opinion is valued.
the auction ending shortly so i need to make decision. It looked like a fair buy to me particularly when it is a local pick up.:2tsup:

Baldone
14th August 2008, 09:14 PM
[quote=AndyCJ;787062]Bob,
That's a pretty common type lathe - it's a chinese brand (MC900 it's often referred to as) which gets rebadged by everyone around the places (Carbatec, Northwood etc). They are a very good lathe to start out with as a beginner. You could pick up one from Northwood for $375 new - that's about 4hrs drive, and probably close to $60 in petrol with prices like they are atm. However - you may get a 1yr or 2yr warrenty with that? you'de have to call Northwood.

If you havn't got any chisels, then you'll need those too, and I guess if you're starting out new then Northwood could be a good spot to browse for chisels also - they have good reviews on the net and here at the forum - have a search for them.

Their lathe of the same kind is found here:
http://www.northwoodtools.com.au/product.asp?pID=1110&cID=496
thanks for tip on Northwood , they are new to me
]

orraloon
15th August 2008, 01:54 AM
Over a year ago Supercheap Auto had those dynalink lathes on special for $ 75. Can't go wrong thinks I so I grab one. It was the worst bit of carp I ever came across and I have been around the woods for some time. I had a big whinge on here at the time about it. So bad that when I took it back to the shop I gave the manager a hand to turf it in the skip. The inter meshing pulleys that control the var speed actually came apart in my fingers. If you can check this one out and the pulleys are ok then it may be ok but do not buy it unseen. I think the price is a bit steep as carbatec will give you one similar for about the same dollars and with warranty