PDA

View Full Version : Tip for flattening waterstones

derekcohen
9th March 2004, 01:53 AM
Recently I made a recommendation to use dry wall sheets (rather than sandpaper) for lapping the soles of planes. Today I thought that I would give it a try on my waterstones (King 800, 1200, 4000 and 6000).

I only had 220 grit, but this worked really well. Instead of glass, my flat surface was granite. The trick is to keep it wetted. The dry wall sheets never clog up and may be rinced and reused. I managed to resurface all the stones on just one sheet.

Overall, the dry wall sheets were quick to use, far more practical than sandpaper, and provided a flatter surface than my 6" diamond plates.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Helix
9th March 2004, 09:04 AM
This month's Fine Woodworking has an article on flattening water stones and sharpening tools.

The author recommends a pencil grid be drawn on the stone, then 220 grit wet and dry to flatten the stone until the pencil lines are gone.

He then details a sharpening method that minimises hollowing of the stones.

silentC
9th March 2004, 09:11 AM
Derek,

Pardon my ignorance but are 'dry wall sheets' the mesh sanding sheets used to sand plasterboard joints?

davo453
9th March 2004, 10:41 AM
I'm with SilentC

I think dry wall is american for plaster board (referance: This old house) and I assume you arn't using the actual board for sanding (the covering paper would definatly get in the way me thinks).

So maybe it is the mesh type sanding sheets.

Yours puzzled

Dave

derekcohen
9th March 2004, 01:20 PM
Yes, dry wall is indeed plaster wall. Sorry for the American vocab - just got used to it from the Internet.

Note that the "plaster wall" mesh sheets were obtained from Bunnies. 220 grit. These worked well for me on King stones. Apparently users of other brands do not fare as well. King stones must be softer.

No hollowing on my granite plate (carefully measured with a reliable straight edge).

Regards from Perth

Derek

outback
10th March 2004, 07:28 PM
Derek,
Is your straight edge reliable cos' it turns up for work every day. Is never drunk on the job and goes "straight" home to the combination square and bevels every night? :D :D :D