PDA

View Full Version : My Saturday

oldiephred
18th August 2008, 10:16 AM
I am always reluctant to post pictures of my work because of the quality of work I see here and because my photo skills are not very good. However I had such an enjoyable Saturday I decided to share it.
Some time ago I was give an piece of rock maple 2" X 3" X about 3ft. long. (we are metric but I'm of the old school). On Sat. it was raining so I looked at it and decided to try a small covered box. After the first one went well I was encouraged so decided to keep going and by 9:00 PM there were ten of them done. These 5 are representative of them all, ranging in size from about 65 X 35 to 70 X 35 mm (see I'm ambidextrous:roll:) for the box part. I attempted to achieve a wall thickness of about 3mm but most are a bit more. There were a couple of inclusions hidden in the wood so I decided to continue rather than throw them. I like it. As you can see the inside of the covers are only slightly concaved. If too thin they will warp too much.
The white covers are birch. The finials have tenons and are so far not secured so I can make a final decision on what kind of mix looks best. I made extra finials of different woods and styles. They are about 5/8" dia by 1-1/4 to 2" long. Most of the covers are interchangable as well.

Thanks for looking. Feel free to critique.

wheelinround
18th August 2008, 10:32 AM
What can I say but show us more :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: great Saturday's work well done.

bowl-basher
18th August 2008, 10:36 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Looks great I would call that a good Saturday I know that SWMBO would not leave me happy in the shed for that long
I love your idea of mix & match makes good sense to me:3rd
regards
Bowl-Basher

Ed Reiss
18th August 2008, 12:38 PM
.....and you even had time to take pictures! Well done.:cheers2:

Now its time to sit back admire the work and have a couple of cold ones!!!

Ed :D

BernieP
18th August 2008, 04:20 PM
G'Day oldiephred,

Great days work, good fun isn't it, thanks for posting

Cheers
Bernie

Ad de Crom
18th August 2008, 05:27 PM
You were very productive, in my eyes you did it very well, nice shaped lidded boxes.
One remark, it's a pity to drill the hole in the lid all the way through.
Great work. Ad :2tsup:

Mollywood
18th August 2008, 07:36 PM
You were very productive, in my eyes you did it very well, nice shaped lidded boxes.
One remark, it's a pity to drill the hole in the lid all the way through.
Great work. Ad :2tsup:

Lovely work oldiephred.
I agree with you Ad, the lids would look better without the hole underneath, but how would you attach the finials?
Would you just dowel them in the top?

artme
18th August 2008, 08:35 PM
Great turning mate. Love the variations. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ad de Crom
19th August 2008, 01:51 AM
Lovely work oldiephred.
I agree with you Ad, the lids would look better without the hole underneath, but how would you attach the finials?
Would you just dowel them in the top?

Hoi Molly, Just turn on the finial a tenon with a lenght of 6mm, and a hole in the lid with the same depth, well take care of enough meat at the place where you have to drill the hole into the lid, that's all you have to do. 6mm is enough for glueing. Anyway this is the way I'm doing this.
Bye bye, Ad :)

robutacion
19th August 2008, 01:57 AM
Hi oldiephred, sometimes I found easier to use the text already written and make the observations from it so, there we go;

I am always reluctant to post pictures of my work because of the quality of work I see here Don't be mate, your work, is your work, and by sharing to everyone, you are giving yourself an opportunity to get some real god comments, suggestion and everything in between:D and because my photo skills are not very good, do a little search on our library, you will find very good tips on how to take good pics of your turnings. However I had such an enjoyable Saturday I decided to share it.
Some time ago I was give an piece of rock maple 2" X 3" X about 3ft. long. (we are metric but I'm of the old school). On Sat. it was raining so I looked at it and decided to try a small covered box,was tge timber dry or not so?. After the first one went well I was encouraged so decided to keep going and by 9:00 PM there were ten of them done. These 5 are representative of them all, ranging in size from about 65 X 35 to 70 X 35 mm (see I'm ambidextrous:roll:) for the box part. I attempted to achieve a wall thickness of about 3mm but most are a bit more. There were a couple of inclusions hidden in the wood so I decided to continue rather than throw them. I like it. As you can see the inside of the covers are only slightly concaved. If too thin they will warp too much. Not necessarelly, there are ways to void that!
The white covers are birch. The finials have tenons and are so far not secured so I can make a final decision on what kind of mix looks best, good idea!. I made extra finials of different woods and styles. They are about 5/8" dia by 1-1/4 to 2" long. Most of the covers are interchangable as well.

Thanks for looking. Feel free to critique.

Well, I reckon they are a very good effort, and done in record time, so keep up'em...!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

oldiephred
19th August 2008, 07:24 AM
The hole in the lid: I agree completely that it detracts from the appearance and if there are any more, the hole won't be there. The reason for the hole is that I don't have a chuck so these were turned using a screw on the faceplate. I could have plugged the holes neatly and still plan to do that but , as you know, things don't always go really well in the shop for extended periods so I got a bit over encouraged. All day?? My wife was away:B.
Sincerely appreciate the comments.

lubbing5cherubs
19th August 2008, 08:26 AM
I think you have done a great job. To camoflague your hole buy a littel bead and sequin or a stone and glue it in make it look like it has a purpose. I know in all the lids of Cindy Drozda she puts a diamonte earing so that they get an added surprise.
just a thought but your boxes are nice. These are something I want to get better at because I love them
Toni

oldiephred
19th August 2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks lubbing--. The responses are certainly encouraging and helpful. Am mainly into flat work but enjoy turning so need all the help I can get.

Sawdust Maker
20th August 2008, 04:05 PM
oldiephred

very nice work, wish I had a full day in the shed :rolleyes: haven't tried this type of turning yet, pretty sure I couldn't do as well.

I wouldn't worry about the photography too much, as long as we can see the item, :2tsup:
besides your photos looked ok :2tsup: