PDA

View Full Version : Hoop Pine roughed out wet.

Cliff Rogers
18th August 2008, 11:58 AM
From another thread where we are having some Hoop Pine removed, I have been saving some bowl blanks.
I spotted a particularly interesting bit yesterday so I rough turned it very wet.

Pictures tell the story, some of the pics look the same but they are taken with & without flash to try to show the figure & grain.

Roughed piece is about 14" across & 2" deep.

Roughed thickness of the rim is about 1/2" 12mm & bowl walls are about 5/8" to 3/4" 15mm to 20mm.

It shouldn't crack but it may warp a fair bit.

DJ’s Timber
18th August 2008, 12:10 PM
Would've had the curlies flying with that piece Cliff :U, some nice grain in that one. So did you use the Ci1 Rougher on that or the HT?

Cliff Rogers
18th August 2008, 12:15 PM
.... So did you use the Ci1 Rougher on that or the HT?

Both, started with the Ci1 but changed to the HT 'cos I don't have the chip deflector set up on the Ci1 yet & it spits everything straight at your face.

I can point the flow of shavings & sap over my sholder with the HT. :2tsup:

steck
18th August 2008, 02:11 PM
Hi Cliff,
I'm, relatively new to turning so I follow this forum with interest.
Thanks for the post.
Can I ask what you will do with the blank while it is drying? Paper, metho bath, etc???
And what is a HT?
I have read about the Ci1 - do you think it is worth buying?

DJ’s Timber
18th August 2008, 02:54 PM
And what is a HT?
I have read about the Ci1 - do you think it is worth buying?

The HT is one of Cliff's favourite if not his most favourite tool, a Henry Taylor 1/2" or 5/8" Superflute Bowl Gouge :2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
18th August 2008, 03:26 PM
I just chuck them in a heap in a dry place out of the sun.

It is best if they are stored somewhere that doesn't get dust or spray landing on them 'cos the dust can cause stains in wet weather.

The hoop pine is treated with Hylite 80 to stop bluestain mould.

The HT is the Henry Taylor.
It is actually a HS1 5/8 Superflute designed by Peter Child (http://www.peterchild.co.uk/info1/sflute.htm).
I like the Henry Taylor steel.

The grind that I use is partway between B & E in the diagrams at the bottom of that page.

Cliff Rogers
18th August 2008, 03:33 PM
Here are 2 more that I roughed out before lunch.

The smaller one is 10" (275mm) by 2.5" (63mm)
The larger is 12" (300mm) by 2.25 (55m)

The coulour is not good 'cos it is a grey day outside & I had to use the flash.
I should have photographed them while they were inside on the lathe. :rolleyes:

damian
18th August 2008, 03:38 PM
Spectacular. I can see why you'd love turning when it reveals something like that.

Would Steck need to be more careful living in sunny victoria ? lower humidity and all ?

Cliff Rogers
18th August 2008, 03:48 PM
We get much lower humidity at 865M above sea level than down in Cairns, lots of my blanks cracked when I came up here.
The reason why I'm rough turning them wet is 2 fold.
1. so they are thinner & will dry faster.
2. so they are thinner & hopefully will dry more evenly & warp rather than crack.

BernieP
18th August 2008, 04:13 PM
G'Day Cliff

Nice stuff, thanks for sharing look forward to seeing finished product, down the track

Cheers
Bernie

damian
18th August 2008, 04:14 PM
Your 865 meters above sea level ? Gee Mt Crosby is only 182 m. I feel inadequate now :)

My place is 60 m up, so if I get wet Brisbane has issues :D

steck
18th August 2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the pointers , Cliff.
I have been trying a few different drying methods and have given up on the freeze and leave it in the fridge method. I think my fan forced fridge is too drying and I get too many cracks.
I will look forward to your finished product!
I am a mere 80m ASL.

Mollywood
18th August 2008, 07:09 PM
Hi Cliff,
I'm not a turner at all, but I'm interested to know, do you rough turn them and then turn them again when they have seasoned?

Cliff Rogers
18th August 2008, 08:01 PM
...., do you rough turn them and then turn them again when they have seasoned?

Yup, turning them wet is easy, I can remove heaps of timber in seconds.

I cleaned out the shed this arvo, I got 2 really full borrow loads of wet ribbons from 4 hoop pine blanks & 3 silky oak blanks.

Dry turning is much slower BUT, you get a much better finish off the tool than when it is wet.

artme
18th August 2008, 08:33 PM
Good one Mate!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Love the look of the grain in that piece! Love hoop anyway.

Mollywood
18th August 2008, 10:18 PM
Yup, turning them wet is easy, I can remove heaps of timber in seconds.

I cleaned out the shed this arvo, I got 2 really full borrow loads of wet ribbons from 4 hoop pine blanks & 3 silky oak blanks.

Dry turning is much slower BUT, you get a much better finish off the tool than when it is wet.

Thanks Cliff, I'm thinking of getting into turning one day, it's nice to have a few clues.:rolleyes: