PDA

View Full Version : Silky Oak Goblet

thefixer
19th August 2008, 10:45 PM
G'day all

Sometimes the gods just seem to smile on you:). I had few logs of wood that I got from a friend of a friend. They were placed in several areas around the garden sitting in soil. ( looked like they had been there for years) When I picked them up they were so light I thought that they were rotted through, so I figured I'd take them for firewood. I put the chainsaw into one on the weekend and bugger me i thought, that's not rotted wood it's silky oak. So I quartered sawed one and headed straight for the lathe. I don't know if silky oak is normally like this but it was very soft and fibrous. Extremely hard to get a finish of the tool, a bit like pine really.
Anyway here's the first piece of the MC1100. 75 mm wide at the top of the cup. 220 mm high and the stem is 5.5 mm thick. Sanded to 1200 and finished with shellawax glow.
Watchyas reckon?

Cheers
Shorty

ficfac
19th August 2008, 10:59 PM
on a roll lately ay!:2tsup:

TTIT
19th August 2008, 10:59 PM
Top job Shorty:2tsup: Very impressed with the stem particularly :cool:

thefixer
19th August 2008, 11:02 PM
on a roll lately ay!:2tsup:

Yep, too bloody cold in melbourne to do anything else except head for the nice warm comfort zone. I.E. the shed with heating.:D

Cheers
Shorty

thefixer
19th August 2008, 11:04 PM
Top job Shorty:2tsup: Very impressed with the stem particularly :cool:

Thanks TTIT. A fine compilment especially after seeing whats on your web site. I still got a lot of catching up to do:rolleyes:

Cheers
Shorty

ss_11000
20th August 2008, 01:37 AM
nice work, especially on the stem and captive ring:2tsup:

Ad de Crom
20th August 2008, 04:08 AM
Hi Shorty, very nice and delicate work my friend. Something to be proud of.
Keep em coming !!

Ad :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
20th August 2008, 04:53 AM
Hi Shorty...

Nice piece of turning there!!:2tsup:

But, hey, how did you manage to get that ring on the stem...it looks like it's smaller in diameter than the top or bottom!?!?:lmfao:

Ed :D

Rum Pig
20th August 2008, 08:47 AM
Hi Shorty...

But, hey, how did you manage to get that ring on the stem...it looks like it's smaller in diameter than the top or bottom!?!?:lmfao:

I have never turned one before but I pretty shore they use a special tool to cut the ring out of the same blank:)

Nice goblet Shorty :2tsup::2tsup:you never know what you might find in the garden:D

Gra
20th August 2008, 09:16 AM
Hi Shorty...

It is turned from the same blank, when turning the stem. you can use a special tool, but most just use their skew (I Know how its done, just haven't got the talent to do it:doh:)

BernieP
20th August 2008, 11:39 PM
G'Day Shorty

Niiiiice one, another two ore three the same would look nice. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Bernie

joe greiner
21st August 2008, 10:44 PM
Very elegant, Shorty. And a great finish on the inside of the ring. The larger inside allows for a finer cut, but it can be all too easy to make it too large, or the foot or bowl too small. DAMHIKT :- . Belay that; what the heck: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=41441

Joe

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd August 2008, 12:23 AM
Very, very nice. My first thought was "dainty." :2tsup:

I hope it's not so delicate that it needs to be put in a glass case!