PDA

View Full Version : Playing around with my oval turning device

Ad de Crom
20th August 2008, 02:26 AM
I decided to start the new week with to do something with my oval turning device, and well with to try to make an oval picture frame, as this is a nice and welcome addition for my turning collection.
I used for this try out ordinary pine, just for to see the outcome and tool using.
I had the thoughts to develop new tools for the inside turning, but never had the thoughts to use my hollowing rig for this job, till this morning. So I mounted my hollowing rig on the lathe, and all I can say it works very well and easy.
The size of the finished oval picture frame is 235x210mm, and my try came out reasonable well.
Got last week a great offer from someone who saw my oval turning device and understoot that it was not my first choice using rollerchains for transferring. He owns a bussiness in timing belts and have a superfluous stock of timing belts and pulley's I may use for free to make another improvement. I send him already a list with what I need, so maybe...)))
I have attached work in progress pictures of my try out, and also the finished oval picture frame.

Thanks for looking, and comments are as always welcome.

Cheers. Ad :)

Ed Reiss
20th August 2008, 04:12 AM
Ad...

That is a hell of a rig you have there.....neat!

Real good job on the frame.:2tsup::2tsup:

Ed :D

Rum Pig
20th August 2008, 08:53 AM
now to cut the glass to suit:rolleyes:

nice job on the frame it will certainly catch an eye or two:2tsup:

joe greiner
20th August 2008, 11:10 PM
Great results, Ad! Especially with only(?) a few months(?)/weeks(?) of testing. And goodonya for scoring some timing belts and sprockets; should be a lot quieter.

Lowly pine gets a bit of a bad rap in virtual ink, it seems. But just fine for practise, I think. I had a couple pine trees felled in my side and back yard, and kept some of the logs. I'll post a new thread about a small bowl I turned recently as soon as I photograph it and collect my wits.

Joe

Ad de Crom
21st August 2008, 02:11 AM
Great results, Ad! Especially with only(?) a few months(?)/weeks(?) of testing. And goodonya for scoring some timing belts and sprockets; should be a lot quieter.

Lowly pine gets a bit of a bad rap in virtual ink, it seems. But just fine for practise, I think. I had a couple pine trees felled in my side and back yard, and kept some of the logs. I'll post a new thread about a small bowl I turned recently as soon as I photograph it and collect my wits.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I expect a lot of these timing belt transferring, less noise, no margins at all, and aluminium sprockets, better than hardwood like I have now, hope I get what I'm asking for, I'm not in a hurry, so I can wait.
I decovered one important thing, the bigger the size of the oval, the better the result.
The limit is about 18cm. I agree with you pine is just fine for a try out, but there are different spieces of pine as you know, had yellow pine, which is great stuff for turnings, nice smell, and nice color too.

Ad

hughie
21st August 2008, 10:49 AM
Ad,

Nice work, :2tsup:

Will be good to see your new set in action.

have had lingering thoughts of building one myself. Thought about turning up a few hollow vessels.

Ad de Crom
21st August 2008, 04:53 PM
Ad,

Nice work, :2tsup:

Will be good to see your new set in action.

have had lingering thoughts of building one myself. Thought about turning up a few hollow vessels.

Thanks Hughie, I hope you'll do that sometime, it's so exciting!!
Ad