PDA

View Full Version : Stubby lathes

DIY DAN
22nd August 2008, 09:18 PM
Does anybody know if there is a distributor for "Stubby" lathes in Sydney. I'm looking for a small lathe and I hear a lot of good things about stubbys. I would like to have a good look at one before I go any further. Any idea what they a worth?

DIY DAN

Pat
22nd August 2008, 10:17 PM
Dan, it appears that in Australia, you order direct from the factory. Here is the site (http://www.omegastubbylathes.com/Front_Pagex.html) for your perusal.

TTIT
23rd August 2008, 12:38 AM
Does anybody know if there is a distributor for "Stubby" lathes in Sydney. I'm looking for a small lathe and I hear a lot of good things about stubbys. I would like to have a good look at one before I go any further. Any idea what they a worth?

DIY DANWorth???:o Priceless!!! - - - - - but then I'm biased. Don't know about Sydney but if you head north to Brisbane you can get the Vermec version (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/vermecomegalathes.pdf) like mine. The S750 was a bit over $6000 - and worth every cent :2tsup:

Toasty
23rd August 2008, 12:17 PM
... can get the Vermec version (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/vermecomegalathes.pdf)...
Is it wrong to think a lathe is sexy? Huruhuhguhrughruhgruhgurhguh...

I tell you what is dissapointing though, these business that get an online presence selling machinary worth many thousands of dollars, and they have tried to spend as little as possible (see none) on their bloody websites grrrrrr :((

NeilS
23rd August 2008, 02:31 PM
I tell you what is dissapointing though, these business that get an online presence selling machinary worth many thousands of dollars, and they have tried to spend as little as possible (see none) on their bloody websites grrrrrr :((

Agreed... if that is what they call specifications on their website, they are just not interested in selling their product.

Neil

funkychicken
23rd August 2008, 08:21 PM
Wow... You don't muck around with cheap stuff then eh

How big? Mini, Midi, Full Size? Vicmarc make a dang perrty mini

DIY DAN
23rd August 2008, 09:36 PM
Funky,

I've got a nice little space in the garage but it must have a footprint of no more than 1200 x 470. The Stubby website is bloody terrible and does not give you any such dimension.

DIY DAN

TTIT
24th August 2008, 12:36 AM
I reckon the problem is that while the guys at Omega and Vermec are concentrating on making brilliant woodturning gear, they are relying on mugs for their internet presence. It's a shame but they're engineers, not marketing gurus :shrug:
The S750 is 450 x 1150 (total including motor) and the Vermec stand has a 740 x 900mm footprint. Hope that helps.

Toasty
24th August 2008, 09:48 AM
they are relying on mugs for their internet presence.

Probably not mugs, more likely the next door neighbor's 12 year old kid cause he's good with the intermatubes and the facebooks...

hughie
24th August 2008, 03:20 PM
I doubt very much that Stubby has any real intention of selling via the net or using thier web site for any meaningful advertising given the way it performs.

A great number of web sites have little or no effective numbers on hits. Also many of these hits are not converted into anything meaningful ie sale etc.

If go to the link and type in the URL you will see what I mean.

http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_500

When you build a web site these days you have build one that the search engines like in order to get a good organic ranking.

funkychicken
25th August 2008, 12:07 AM
You can get a decent sized lathe to fit in there. What would you be using it for? Big stuff? Small stuff?

rsser
30th August 2008, 10:08 PM
How much does a phone call to Vic cost?

Or to Qld?

Least with Oz stuff you can talk to the horse's mouth.

Eg: 'would your lathe cope with a 5/8" gouge pushed hard into a 500mm radius bowl?'

See if you can get that answer off a Flash website.

Jim Carroll
31st August 2008, 10:52 AM
You would find that anyone interested in finding a stubby lathe would have no trouble fiding them through any of the search engine.

Just because they do not rate high in the rankings is not a reflection of the site more a reflection of the curiosity value of the product.

With this lathe more are sold by word of mouth and demonstrations.

Do you have a lazy 7 grand to buy one of these lathes and do you have the work that it is capable of.

Most people buying any lathe of this value may look at the web site but at the end of the day they call the company involved and ask more questions.

Toasty
31st August 2008, 12:00 PM
:2tsup:

rsser
31st August 2008, 12:15 PM
Course with the Stubby it's not just the footprint but the extended bed overhang that needs to be considered if space is a problem.