PDA

View Full Version : DJ and Groggy rule!!

Ashes
23rd August 2008, 08:02 PM
Just a quick note to say a massive thankyou to two of the nicest and most generous blokes going around on the forum.:2tsup::2tsup:

After helping me with some research, opinions and advice I pulled the trigger on a 2nd hand Vicmarc VL250 for a price that I thought was pretty good. It actually turned out better than I expected as there were quite a few goodies that came with it. Looks like it needs just a little fine tuning with the pulleys and some more general clean up but I'm one very happy camper. I wasn't really ready to buy one of these but when good deals come around, you sometimes just have to bite the bullet.

Now, the best bit, and an absolute credit to these guys. They were keen to have a look at it so the offered to come by the house and in the process also offered to help unload it from the trailer and get it into the shed. I wasn't really ready to put it in but a quick shed cleanup and some planks across the electrical trench and the trailer was in the shed, lathe unloaded and in position in a matter of minutes!!!

Also thanks to Jim Carroll and as well for their advice. A great forum and even better due to guys like these on here:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Now...just need to work out how the copy attachment works. Looks like a genuine Vicmarc one so might give Vicmarc a call on Monday

cheers,
Brian

Sawdust Maker
23rd August 2008, 08:39 PM
photos?

DJ’s Timber
23rd August 2008, 08:43 PM
Was a pleasure to help out Brian :2tsup:

RufflyRustic
23rd August 2008, 08:51 PM
he's too happy for it not to have happened:D

Good one Ashes. Hope you continue having much fun and enjoyment with your new toy, er lathe:D:2tsup:

skot
23rd August 2008, 08:53 PM
Ashes,
I was able to buy a 2nd hand VL 175 lathe in BEAUTIFUL CONDITION on a week ago. I love the workmanship of Vicmarc lathes. You should be very happy with your purchase. Like you, the opportunity arose to get the lathe and couldn't pass it up. ENJOY

Groggy
23rd August 2008, 08:53 PM
Better count the dogs, I'm sure I saw eyes in the trench before we left :U

HTH.

jefferson
23rd August 2008, 09:18 PM
The number of new turners on this forum is almost an epidemic.

Good thing too, as there are more than enough old hands out there to help with the steep learning curve.

I had Ern R. up here Friday and completed my first redgum platter. Very nice, no photos, so sorry.

And it's good to see another Vicmarc owner out there!

Jeff

Ashes
23rd August 2008, 09:24 PM
The Mrs has the camera at the moment and is away. Here are a couple of snaps of the trailer load full of gear...

Lots of drive spurs, centres, tool rests, faceplates, some older chucks, calipers and also included a duplicator, three point steady and outboard turning attachment.

Calm
23rd August 2008, 10:31 PM
I think i'll just sit down and SOB, misssed out again.:C:C

Sounds like there was group hugs and plenty of luvvin in that shed:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

cheers

woodwork wally
23rd August 2008, 10:45 PM
Hey calm it was only a couple of hills north well maybe a coupla dozen .Well done ashes:2tsup::D:D A report at next meeting on the recovery Cheers Wally

Calm
23rd August 2008, 10:50 PM
Hey calm it was only a couple of hills north well maybe a coupla dozen . Cheers Wally

Yeeah i know, i was watching it and dreamin again:?:?:D

Ashes
23rd August 2008, 10:55 PM
Sorry 'bout that Calm. It was a much better machine than the add indicated. I was hoping no one would bid on it!

Hopefully I'll get a chance to fire it up tomorrow.

Hope to see you tomorrow Wally at Harry's as I'll need some wood for the beast!

Groggy
23rd August 2008, 11:15 PM
This may upset some, but I have to pass the mantle for 'Best Lathe Buy" over to Ashes. I reckon he only paid for the accessories and the lathe was thrown in for nix (seriously, it was that good a buy).

ss_11000
23rd August 2008, 11:45 PM
well done mate:2tsup:

so, now that groggy said that :aro-u:. do we get to find out how much it cost you:?:p

Ashes
24th August 2008, 12:02 AM
Buyer happy, seller happy, no haggling and no mucking anyone around.

A good deal in anyones books! $'s not more important than that.:D

Groggy
24th August 2008, 12:02 AM
so, now that groggy said that :aro-u:. do we get to find out how much it cost you:?:pNow now young Stirlo, you'll only be upsetting yourself - move along now.....:D

Jim Carroll
24th August 2008, 11:52 AM
Glad there is a happy ending to the story.:D

Ed Reiss
24th August 2008, 01:25 PM
Lots of drive spurs, centres, tool rests, faceplates, some older chucks, calipers and also included a duplicator, three point steady and outboard turning attachment.

Whoever coined the phrase "Some Assembly Required" must have seen this particular haul!!!:oo::oo::2tsup:

Lots and lots of stuff...looks like your gonna be busy for a month of Sundays.

Cheers,
Ed :D

Sawdust Maker
24th August 2008, 01:44 PM
Nice haul :clap:

It'll take you a couple of years to work out what some of the bits are for

(did I notice something out of a 186 holden motor?) :D

Ashes
24th August 2008, 07:07 PM
Got a couple of hours today to give the lathe a general cleanup and christen it!!!

Sorry about the choice in project but only had about 30 minutes spare to do some turning...

Slight vibration but will firstly try some dampening with rubber pads under the feet and then might strip, clean, balance and allign the pulleys (with some help and advice from some locals)

ss_11000
24th August 2008, 11:46 PM
Now now young Stirlo, you'll only be upsetting yourself - move along now.....:D
that sounds so cool:2tsup: