PDA

View Full Version : Hafco

BigStick
23rd August 2008, 09:22 PM
Hi Guys I have a HAFCO AL335 lathe that just stoped working (no power) I was driling a12mm hole not working hard pulled the drill out to clear chips and it stoped, the light went off, the green power light went off. I waited a short time and reset the reset button, still now power.
Is there a fuse or a thermal overload on this machine?
It is close to the wall and I will wait till daylight to take the back panel off but I was hoping someone here could give me a heads up before I start delving into the merky depths.
Kim

bsrlee
24th August 2008, 03:19 AM
OK, I'll ask the obvious question - did you plug something else into the power socket & check that power was coming thru'? Depending on how your power is set up, you may have tripped/shorted one circuit & everything else is working OK. If no juice at the socket, go to the switch board & start throwing circuit breakers or pulling fuse blocks & checking the wires.

If you have a multimeter, unplug the machine from the wall & check the continuity in the wires from the plug to the power box on the machine and from there to the motor - you can make an effective line checker from almost any torch battery, a few clips, some thin wire & a torch bulb if you don't have a multimeter. Hidden wires coming adrift from their connections are all too common & a cause of patchy baldness.

Keith_W
24th August 2008, 09:23 AM
Hi,
Do as Brslee suggested and make sure there is power at the wall outlet, if no power check fuses. If fuses ok and still no power get electrician to check the circuit, because if you dont know what your looking for you could could make mistakes,or even get electrocuted.
If power is ok then check that you have active, neutral and earth wires properly connected not any loose terminations. Your Motor may have a thermal overload, it will be a red button either on the back motor casting or on the capacitor case, the raised bit. If this dosnt reset the motor then you may have a short in the windings or a bad contact in the stator or centrifical switch. You could remove the back motor casting and check that contacts are ok and clean, again if you dont know what your doing take to a motor rewinder or have an electrician check it out.

Good Luck,
Keith.

BigStick
24th August 2008, 10:05 AM
It is now AM and if it has a thermal overload it did not reset itself so I will look for a manual reset on the motor. You had to ask the obvious but I already checked the power suply.
Kim

BigStick
24th August 2008, 12:50 PM
Hi Guys
There is a panel on the back that has a sircut braker, re set and away it went
Kim

Retromilling
25th August 2008, 06:25 PM
A lot of modern lathes not only have a circut breaker switch but the switch can also be an adjustable load sensing switch.
Look at the breaker or beside it and you may see an adjustable dial of some kind. Sometimes the factory setting is too low for the power factor in your supply.
I had this problem with the suds pump cutting out and it turned out to be the load sensing breaker switch was adjusted too low. Flicked it up a notch and all is well.
Just a thought , worth a check.

BigStick
26th August 2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the the segestions
Kim