PDA

View Full Version : Oak oval picture frame

Ad de Crom
25th August 2008, 04:59 AM
Yesterday I turned for now, or at least for a while, my last oval turning, and well another picture frame. I used this time better wood as I had in my store a nice left over piece of an oak table top.
Had some problems with turning this oak, as it was hard like hell, but I did it in one day. As usual it's finished with a couple of layers Glitsa. The size of the picture frame is 230x205mm.
Also I maked today a design of a new table lamp for the LOML. I use for the shade birch, with the meaning to make this shade translucent. I always give away my turnings, but not this time, as I try to stay a good friend for the LOML

Comments are welcome, anyway thanks for looking.

Cheers. Ad :)

Ed Reiss
25th August 2008, 01:07 PM
Hi Ad...

They turned out great, guy!:2tsup:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......what if you took wet oak, turned it round, let dry to an oval shape!!!!:bgth:

Ed :D

Ad de Crom
25th August 2008, 03:55 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......what if you took wet oak, turned it round, let dry to an oval shape!!!!:bgth:

Ed :D[/quote]

Ed, I did that once with turning wet a sycamore bowl, now it have a perfect oval shape.
But I have my doubts about doing the same with wet oak. Oak is unpredictable wood, it cracked easely.
Thanks for your attention.

Ad :)

Ed Reiss
26th August 2008, 12:13 PM
Ad...

Wouldn't it be great if you could make oval frames that way though?!!!!:cool:

Have you heard about the Old Schwamb Mill in Massachusets? They have been manufacturing oval frames since the 1800's....thought you might like to check out their website. here is their site URL:

http://www.oldschwambmill.org/theframes/theframes.html

Ad de Crom
26th August 2008, 05:20 PM
Ad...

Wouldn't it be great if you could make oval frames that way though?!!!!:cool:

Have you heard about the Old Schwamb Mill in Massachusets? They have been manufacturing oval frames since the 1800's....thought you might like to check out their website. here is their site URL:

http://www.oldschwambmill.org/theframes/theframes.html

Hi Ed, Joe Greiner told me last year about the Old Schwamb Mill, it's an amazing Mill, just like a museum, in fact it's a museum. I appreciate your input very much, thanks!!