PDA

View Full Version : What is this timber

Rum Pig
25th August 2008, 02:16 PM
Hi all

I went to Ian's shop on Saturday and found and old bowl blank that was very dusty and full of bore's and looked very ordinary it had a bit of splatting but looked like a Blond colour timber so I thought it would do as a quick job and maybe give it to someone:rolleyes:.

But when I started to cut in to the blank the shaving started to come of were a light grey colour. The timber was very powdery and some spots had to be soaked in CA to hold them together but I hope you will agree the end result was Worth the effort and not a boring little bowl.

But no one has any idea as to what it might be so I hope you might have an idea.
I have included a pic of the bark if that helps.

Ad de Crom
25th August 2008, 04:04 PM
Rumpig, I cannot tell you what it is, but the endresult looks super.!!
So very well done.

Ad :) :2tsup:

rowie
30th August 2008, 01:31 AM
Looks like an acacia of a kind I have been trying to identify. Although your piece was rotten in spots, were the solid bits hard as buggery & have that sweet violet(?) smell?

Ed Reiss
30th August 2008, 12:55 PM
Hi Rum Pig....

It looks very much like a lot of wood we have here in the states......FOG wood
(Found On Ground) :roflmao:

Sorry....couldn't resist!

Cheers,

Ed :D

Rum Pig
1st September 2008, 12:42 PM
Looks like an acacia of a kind I have been trying to identify. Although your piece was rotten in spots, were the solid bits hard as buggery & have that sweet violet(?) smell?

No it was pretty soft and no smell that I could smell. But it certainly is nice looking Acacia you have there:D

It looks very much like a lot of wood we have here in the states......FOG wood
(Found On Ground) :roflmao:

I will pay that one I may even burn it on the bottom of the bowl:2tsup:

TTIT
1st September 2008, 01:52 PM
Looks like an acacia of a kind I have been trying to identify. Although your piece was rotten in spots, were the solid bits hard as buggery & have that sweet violet(?) smell?The smell of violets and the colour would indicate Myall (acacia pendula) even though the grain looks a bit too open on your bits Rowie - lovely stuff - one of the most stable acacias :2tsup:
No idea what Rum Pigs is but it's a very nice effect.