PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the Woodfast Mini

funkychicken
25th August 2008, 06:40 PM
Hey ya bunch of Awesomes,

I've been thinking about selling my Jet and getting the Woodfast mini. But first I need two questions answered:

How's the accuracy? Do the centres line up all along the bed? Would I be able to make pens that come out perfectly round on it?

Question 2:roll::
Is the 1/2hp motor restricting? I turn some pretty big stuff so I need a motor powerful enough to spin 5kg hunks of Brush Box and such

Cheeeeerio

Funky C

BobL
25th August 2008, 07:26 PM
How's the accuracy? Do the centres line up all along the bed?

Would I be able to make pens that come out perfectly round on it?

Is the 1/2hp motor restricting? I turn some pretty big stuff so I need a motor powerful enough to spin 5kg hunks of Brush Box and such

FC, I think you answered your own question. how can you expect to make perfectly round pens on a small lathe if you also spin 5 kg lumps around on it. The bearings on small lathes are just not able to do that unless they are built like a big lathe.

My mini has been a reasonable lathe. When I first bought it 6 months ago it could turn a circle with a tolerance of 0.1 mm (that's the difference between the largest and smallest diameter at any point along a turned cylinder. Now after spinning a half dozen or so large lumps on it, the tolerance is now more than double that. This is still ok for what I do (mainly tool handles) since many of these are oval but I probably should replace the bearings sometime and stop turning big stuff on it or making sure they are much better balance before putting them on the lathe.

Why not ask those who have Woodfast minis to post their tolerances. If all you make is pens it's probably going to last for a while. If you are going to spin big stuff get a lathe with big beefy bearings. You can always make small stuff even with a big lathe.

funkychicken
25th August 2008, 07:35 PM
Ah but big beefy lathes cost big beefy amounts of $$

BobL
25th August 2008, 07:50 PM
Ah but big beefy lathes cost big beefy amounts of $$

Ahh . . . Yes. What did you expect, that they would cost less? :oo:

funkychicken
25th August 2008, 08:48 PM
Hardy Har:rolleyes:

robutacion
26th August 2008, 01:56 AM

I've been thinking about selling my Jet and getting the Woodfast mini. But first I need two questions answered:

How's the accuracy? Do the centres line up all along the bed? Would I be able to make pens that come out perfectly round on it?

Cheeeeerio

Funky C

Hi FunkyC

Like BobL said, you can't have it both ways, unfortunately, a problem "we" all suffer from. I understand the money limitations, but I would like to suggest a couple of possibilities. 1 - keep the Jet (even if need new bearings) for the small stuff. 2- buy a bigger lathe (under $1000) for the bigger stuff). 3- Sell the Jet, and get a Nova 1624-44, this will do all you need. I know, I got one.
I would like to suggest a Nova DVR XP, but that is on my wish book too!:C

There is not a lot to chose from, in the middle range of things. Is always the second hand ones that appear on eBay every so often but, with them you have to come up with the full amount in one go and quickly. On the other hand, with the amount of turning you are going to do :cool:, (am I right?):roll: it may be worth it to get a dealer that would be willing to give you a go and give you some monthly/fortnightly payment conditions on a new and better machine. You will not get, if you do not ask...!:D

I know that this is not resolving your problem, but maybe give you something to thing about! After all, this is an investment for your future (young fella!), and in the end of the day, its only bloody money...!:o.

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

hughie
26th August 2008, 09:16 AM
a motor powerful enough to spin 5kg hunks of Brush Box and such

Ooley dooley! What sort of pens do you make? :U

funkychicken
26th August 2008, 08:17 PM
Ooley dooley! What sort of pens do you make? :U

Manly, manly pens:D

I had contemplated getting the woodfast for pens and keeping the Jet for big stuff, but I dunno..

Edwards
27th August 2008, 04:33 PM

Cheeeeerio

Funky C

Hi Funky C
On the machine you mention the centres line up as they should. In line.
Remember woodturners do the turning. Not the lathe. Mine won't even start up by itself.
1/2 hp will spin your 5kg and do a good job at the correct slower speed but it would be unfair to expect it to handle this type of work regularly.
The new variable speed Midi model should handle it well so I suggest you check this one out.

Cheers
Edwards :)

ubeaut
27th August 2008, 07:03 PM
Hey Bronty.

Thought you no longer worked for Woodfast..... Old habits die hard eh?

David Mitchell
27th August 2008, 11:13 PM

Cheeeeerio

Funky C

Hi Funky C
I purchased a variable speed Woodfast lathe for my son and he has taken to turning,this lathe is very good and once you have used variable speed it would be difficult to go back to changing belts again.:no:
Regards
David:2tsup:

hughie
28th August 2008, 11:23 AM
turning,this lathe is very good and once you have used variable speed it would be difficult to go back to changing belts again.:no:

Gotta agree with that, changed my old clunker over to vari-speed drive. Its the only way to go.

rodent
28th August 2008, 11:30 PM
Im running the Carbatec mini lathe for my pens the tail stock is adjustable for your centering . The top speed is 3000 plus with full variable speed , 3/4in ,16tpi head stock . The bigger stuff goes on the mc 1100 ive got the older model with the 1 hp motor , 1in 8 tpi head stock and inserts from 1..8 to 3/4 16 so i can change things round a bit .:oo:

ubeaut
1st September 2008, 11:09 PM
Sorry Bronte, wrong spelling.

Check your PM's.