PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc VL250 manual/information

Ashes
26th August 2008, 10:00 AM
I'm hoping to start stripping down my recenty purchased 2nd hand Vicmarc VL250 to give it a real good clean up and replace bearings/belts/pulleys if needed.

I'm hoping someone might have a manual they could scan or copy for me for the model I have. Mine is a belt drive (not variable speed), VL250 manufactured in 1988.

This lathe also came with a copy attachment so if anyone has information/manuals on that I would very much appreciate a copy

thanks,
Brian

Grumpy John
26th August 2008, 06:46 PM
G'day Brian
Try this website.
http://groups.msn.com/VicmarcOwnersGroup/

Can take a while to load, be patient.

Good luck
GJ

Grumpy John
1st September 2008, 06:07 PM
Hi Brian
Was the Vicmarc Owners Group able to assist in getting you a manual?

Cheers
GJ

Ashes
1st September 2008, 07:32 PM
No, not as yet. Looks like a pretty quiet group. Took a few days to get registered.

I've begun pulling it apart to give it a really good clean. Looks very straight forward so far (haven't got into the motor though). I'm replacing any bearing I can find and recording their numbers. I'll also be replacing the belts as they were sitting idle for around 5 years and are no doubt a bit stretch and hard.

Haven't had a play with the copy attachment yet. I'll get the machine running perfect first then tackle that. Very happy with it so far!!

thefixer
1st September 2008, 08:47 PM
Before you replace the belts, have a look at Groggys thread about "link belts". I haven't used them myself but they seem to have pretty good reviews. Lathes: link belts (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=78368)

Cheers
Shorty

Ashes
1st September 2008, 09:04 PM
Yep!! Link belts are on order:)

Ashes
2nd September 2008, 10:39 PM
Got all the drive pulley components apart. Just need to get the key out of the headstock spindle to get the taper bearing off near the main drive screw. Any tips for getting that out or do you just lever it out with a screwdriver?

The spindle needs a bit of a clean but not too bad. The main pulleys have some surface rust which should clean off nicely. The taper bearings sound a bit gritty so they will get replaced.

Hope to respray the pulley wheels and get it going again on the weekend:)

Calm
3rd September 2008, 05:51 AM
Got all the drive pulley components apart. Just need to get the key out of the headstock spindle to get the taper bearing off near the main drive screw. Any tips for getting that out or do you just lever it out with a screwdriver?...........

That or a pair of side cutting plyers usualy grab the sides and allow you to lift it out. If it's tight you may have a burr to remove with a file.

Cheers

Grumpy John
3rd September 2008, 07:33 AM
........Just need to get the key out of the headstock spindle to get the taper bearing off near the main drive screw.

Hi Brian
Yes I find sidecutters get the best grip when removing tight keys, but meke sure you file off any burrs before replacing the key. Tradie tip, drill and tap a hole approx 1/2 thickness of the key about 10-15mm in from one end (depending on length of key, more for large keys). This way if you ever have to remove the key again you can use a screw to "push" it out.

Cheers
GJ

Grumpy John
8th September 2008, 02:23 PM
Brian, the Vicmarc User Group wasn't much help then. Sorry about that I thought that you would have had a few replies by now :?.

Ashes
8th September 2008, 02:35 PM
No real drama grumpy.

Managed to pull it apart and get it back together.

Can't remember though if I greased the bearing cups on he main spindle so will have to take that apart again!! Should be easier this time as it's all pretty clean now. Just wish I could find the grub screw I dropped though..M8 x 10 hex key screw if anyone has one!

Next job will be to try some rubber pads under the legs to see if they absorb the last bit of vibration before tackling the motor.

I haven't yet looked at the copy attachment in anger.

Groggy
8th September 2008, 02:47 PM
Just wish I could find the grub screw I dropped though..M8 x 10 hex key screw if anyone has one!Use a magnet. Oh, and check the mud in your shoes :rolleyes:

WOODY70
8th September 2008, 08:51 PM
I'm hoping to start stripping down my recenty purchased 2nd hand Vicmarc VL250 to give it a real good clean up and replace bearings/belts/pulleys if needed.

I'm hoping someone might have a manual they could scan or copy for me for the model I have. Mine is a belt drive (not variable speed), VL250 manufactured in 1988.

This lathe also came with a copy attachment so if anyone has information/manuals on that I would very much appreciate a copy

thanks,
Brian
Brian,

I can help you with a copy of the manual for the VL250 including manual for the copy attachment.

You may or may not be aware that Vicmac are very basic in their instruction manuals.

Cheers
Dave.
S/E Qld Woodworking Supplies
07 3808 7005

Ashes
8th September 2008, 09:42 PM
Dave...you have mail:2tsup:

woodwork wally
9th September 2008, 09:04 PM
G'day Brian Meoldmates @coventry fastners in Laverton north will have that no worries and wont be an arm or leg [maybe a fingernail] If i'm going in near future I will contact u Cheers Wally