PDA

View Full Version : Some... "different" turnings.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th August 2008, 10:59 PM
The other week I had the privelege of watching Julio Marcolongo at the lathe.

'Twas very, very interesting, as he demonstrated some unusual techniques instead of plain ol' spindle turning or bowl work. Best of all, he was more than happy to go into the hows and whys of doing things. :2tsup:

So, here's my first attempt at one of the methods he demonstrated. They're called "Squirts" after the pods you find on sea-weed (I think) and they're turned two at a time!

I didn't want to risk losing good timber and I've only just today bought a pyrography burner and need practice using it, so they're only radiata. Made from a 90x45 pine stud, if anyone really wants to know, with no finish whatsoever.

However, I'm toying with the idea of using some food dye on the burnt sections and then shellacking the whole thing... as they're beginning to grow on me, in spite of the radiata! :-

They're very tactile... like wooden eggs, people can't stop picking 'em up.

Wood Borer
26th August 2008, 11:32 PM
Skew,

They look good mate.

They remind me of some Aboriginal artefacts I have seen and admired.

Keep up the experimental and alternative stuff, not enough people are doing it.

tea lady
26th August 2008, 11:37 PM
:oo: Some "differant " turning that really is. they do look very interesting. So any clues to how they are done?::?:cool:

Waldo
26th August 2008, 11:41 PM
I like 'em. :2tsup:

I've got plenty of lumps of Merbau to try them out on for MkII. :;

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th August 2008, 12:13 AM
Mmmm... Merbau! :2tsup:

As to how they're done, it's one of those things easier shown than explained but for a rough description...

Two pieces of wood of the same size, about twice as wide as thick (eg. a 90x45mm or 70x35mm stud) and around 2-3 times as long as wide.

Put them together so they form a "squared" blank - ie. so two 240x90x45mm bits will make a 240x90x90 blank - and then use a drill press (accuracy is important here) to drill a fine pilot hole in the middle of and about 1cm in from each end. These pilot holes should go all the way through both pieces, they're used to screw the two pieces together.

Which is done now.

Very, very carefully mount the assembly between centres, keeping it as centred as possible, and turn an 'S' shape, only going half the thickness of one of the pieces in. Don't forget to leave the last inch at each end untouched... 'cos there are screws in there and you don't want to find 'em with your expensive tools, eh? :no: There's a lot of stopping the lathe and checking what's happening going on.

When looking reasonable, remove the blank, unscrew it and then screw it back together with the now turned sections facing the middle. (This is why accuracy in the pilot hole is important.)

Turn these sides to a matching 'S' profile. Again, constantly stopping the lathe and eyeballing things.

Repeat this process of unscrewing, flipping the pieces and rescrewing, slowly refining the profiles and tapering the ends until one end becomes so thin that it separates whether you want it to or no. :doh:

Then you have no choice but to pick it up off the floor, remove the end that didn't separate (unless it did so upon landing) and cleaning it all up by hand with sandpaper.

Simple, really! :;

Maybe a WIP will be forthcoming if I do a second...

tea lady
27th August 2008, 12:54 AM
Lol. Sure sounds intreguing. And fun. :cool:

Cliff Rogers
27th August 2008, 09:26 AM
:2tsup:

ss_11000
27th August 2008, 05:14 PM
cool :cool2:.

thefixer
27th August 2008, 10:27 PM
Some people just see stuff don't they?:2tsup:

Another one to add to the list of things to stuff up:cool:

Cheers
Shorty

joe greiner
28th August 2008, 01:40 AM
Neil Scobie wrote an article for the AAW Journal, Fall 2007, Vol. 22, No. 3, p. 24, but seemed too complicated on my first impression. FWIW, http://www.neilandlizscobie.com

[Nice work, Skew.]

Joe

hughie
28th August 2008, 11:14 AM
Skew,

interesting decor items, with all these ideas coming along. Jeez you guys are making it hard " for no workshop" .:2tsup: :U

rodent
28th August 2008, 11:39 PM
Skew im going to have to come over and do the photos while your turning .Because once you start you can't stop . So you've got a new toy hey .