PDA

View Full Version : How do I prepare and store this wood for turning?

Brendan1152
30th August 2008, 04:28 PM
Hi All,

I picked up a load of wood this morning from an industrial site in Penrith, it is dirty and some is borer affected.

Given that I will not have a lathe in the immediate future how should I prepare and store the wood, as blanks, leave it as is or cut it into blocks?

Also does anyone have any idea what it might be? the colour seems to vary between a pale yellow and a honey colour - unfortunately all the branches etc had already gone to the tip so I cannot say what the leaves looked like.

Regards

Brendan

wheelinround
30th August 2008, 06:50 PM
Brendan 4th photo look like Jacaranda :2tsup:

last 2 photo's look like Banksia LOML was given some of this recently it had been cut through the heart small branch fantastic grain inside.:2tsup:

The others hard to tell one knotted looks like a burl

Those you think have borer spray with surface spray other will give you more info etc

Ray

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th August 2008, 07:06 PM
At the very least you want to split them down the middle, through the heart, to reduce checking as it dries.

Leave the lengths as long as possible and seal the ends and all exposed end-grain... preferably with proper timber sealer or wax, but even leftover drabs of household paint will be better than nothing. ("Sealer" is a misnomer - it doesn't "seal" the ends but it slows down the rate at which the moisture leaves, giving the wood time to adjust to the stresses of drying.)

Crotches and similar, where it's not possible to split in half cleanly, often give the best grain for turning but by the same token are usually the hardest to dry without splitting. They're best rough turned to dry, but without a lathe that's not really an option, eh? :rolleyes: So you can try splitting & sealing 'em, then crossing your fingers for the next couple of years... :wink:

There's a lot more info on this sort of thing available on these forums if you do a search - for some reason woodturners hold drying gutter-wood dear to their hearts and start another "how do I dry...?" thread every few months. :D

robutacion
31st August 2008, 12:12 AM
Hi Brendan,

I agree with of what has been said so far, I will just add a few extra pointers.
The first thing you need to do is clean the timber from soil/sand etc. A pressure cleaner is always a god option, but if one is not available, a water hose with a good small jet nozzle does wonders. Tools such as a wire brush, spatula, flat screw driver, etc., can be handy to use prior, during or after has been hosed down. Removing dirt from your logs/blanks before they are sealed (painted), will save you lots of damage on your cutting tools.:;

Because you have no lathe yet, you can use these logs for a bit of practise on how to prepare (cut) and store (seal), timber that will be used for turning and a good time to start to stock your "timber stash" with some ready blanks (round and sealed) for later use, green wood can always be found everywhere, if you want to rough turn some, at any time.:cool:

I would start from the last pics, and after cleaning, I would square one end and then measure the diameter and cut piece(s) from length the same as the diameter, them "split" them in half. From the flat side, mark a round circle as bigger as possible, cut round and seal (paint, 2xcoats) all around, only, put them away to dry safely.
With the other pieces, due to the wholes, borer, rot, etc., look at the way the grain runs, if the length is sufficient, cut lengths to match the log diameter, if already close enough, put the log upright and "slice" / rip where the timber appears to be OK, in boards of between 2" up to 4" if possible. You should be able to get 2 boards (one on each side) if the log is hollow, and 1 or more if working around rot or other bad stuff.
When you finish, you end-up with "square" looking boards of whatever the thickness you manage to cut them to, so will then follow the same procedure as per the logs above, (mark round circle, cut, etc, etc..).
If you find any logs that are long (1 meter or above), you can do 2 things, 1- do as above, 2- if you want to keep the logs for later use, cut them at least (for normal sized timbers/trees/logs of about 1 foot diameter) 2 1/2 times their width in length, this will allow for cracks developing on each end, even if sealed (painted) of 1/4 of their diameter, allowing you to clean cut still 2 x complete logs with the correct length. Confused???:?:doh:, sorry...! (~I-----I-----I~).
These are the most common and simple cuts for the average trees around. Many other cuts are possible and used on specific parts of the tree (roots/burls, etc) or to achieve a special pattern with the timber grain. I would keep it simple for now, is plenty of time for you to "pull your hairs off":D

Hope this helps.

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Cliff Rogers
31st August 2008, 09:28 AM
The last 2 posts have it covered fairly well.

If you don't have a band saw to make the blanks round, knock the corners off with what ever you are using to cut the log up.

If you are able, IE have the time, rough turn them to an oversized blank & store them to dry that way.

See these 2 threads where I have some pics of roughed out blanks.
I hacked at them with the chainsaw & then stuck them on the lathe.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=77591

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=77556

Ed Reiss
31st August 2008, 12:32 PM
Hi Brendan...

Would like to add just one additional item...you may have heard of Anchorseal. That stuff works really well in preventing check from too rapid drying.

Cheers,
Ed :D

robutacion
31st August 2008, 04:06 PM
The last 2 posts have it covered fairly well.

If you don't have a band saw to make the blanks round, knock the corners off with what ever you are using to cut the log up.

If you are able, IE have the time, rough turn them to an oversized blank & store them to dry that way.

See these 2 threads where I have some pics of roughed out blanks.
I hacked at them with the chainsaw & then stuck them on the lathe.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=77591

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=77556

Thanks Cliff.

Band saws, are indeed the tool of choice by many to prepare logs and round blanks for turning. For those that don't have one, either by choice or other (affordability, space etc.), there is an option. Economical and easy to make, very safe to use. An invention of mine due to necessity and lack of anything else available commercially for the task intended. Recently (finely) named JV Log Vice (steel arms helper - old name), has become my most important and efficient tool for log/blank preparation. All information and pics are store on the forums archive somewhere, but for easy access and consultation on its construction details and use, here (http://timberssoul.webs.com/jvlogvicesteelarmshel.htm)is the link to my web site, is free, and feel free to use it.:D

Just my 2 words of wisdom for those preparing logs/blanks with chainsaws.
1- Use all appropriate safety gear while operating chainsaws.
2- Cutting small or "unsecured" pieces of wood with a chainsaw, is a dangerous business. Make sure you take the time to prepare your cuts (holding devices/frames/vices, etc), think for a second what you are going to do while the chain is running, both hands are necessary to hold/control the machine of all times, your feet are there to support your body and balance your movements, NOT to stop timber from moving when the chain is cutting a few inches away.:oo::no::doh:

I know that Brendan bought a Makita electric 14" chainsaw so, he's got this option if he so wishes.

So, mate (Brendan) just follow the recommendations and use common sense, you will do fine!:)

As an old friend once said " better lose one minute in life, then life in one minute...!"

Be safe, have fun.

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Cliff Rogers
1st September 2008, 01:01 AM
I have a log holder made out of a sheet of ply that I use for hacking out my blanks.
It is on here somewhere but I can't find it at present.

I'll take another pic of it & post it again.

Cliff Rogers
1st September 2008, 05:40 PM
Done, new thread here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?p=798355#post798355).

Brendan1152
1st September 2008, 06:20 PM
Hi All,

Many thanks for the info, I will probably make up Cliff's wood rest in the short term and the super metal one when I can get the stuff together.

Will post some photos once I have something cut up:)

Regards

Brendan