PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what these are like?

AndyCJ
31st August 2008, 08:17 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130249672112

Seems too good to be true.

So it's probably too good to be true.

Anyone brought/used these?
Cheers,
Andy

funkychicken
31st August 2008, 08:38 PM
They're cheapies, the steel isn't as good as Hamlets, Sorbys, P+Ns etc.

DavidG
31st August 2008, 08:49 PM
They are OK for a beginners first set IF you can not afford better.

They wont hold the edge as long as good tools, and you will get more practice at sharpening (which is probably a good thing).

Actually for sharpening lessons they are good value. :roll:

I possibly would buy a set for reshaping into special tools that would only be used occasionally.

BobL
31st August 2008, 08:52 PM
will need to be sharpened more often
won't be able to be sharpened to as fine an edge
ferules will come loose and fall off
Blades will come loose and fall out
By then you will have bought or made some better tools and they will sit in the corner collecting dust.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st August 2008, 10:31 PM
As everyone above has said. :yes:

However, I definitely agree with DavidG that:These are good to learn sharpening on. They're better than grinding away more expensive tools learning how to get it "right." After you've replaced them with better quality tools, they're good for converting into "specialty" tools, eg. for captive rings, or for experimenting with different grind types. They'll probably also supply good practice at re-handling. :;

As such, they're a viable purchase. I wouldn't pay any more than $60 for a set, though.

China
31st August 2008, 10:53 PM
Don't know about them, just looking at the pics they look a bit ordinary, seems to be confirmed above

AndyCJ
1st September 2008, 09:19 AM
How might these compare to the "Starter Kits" from Jim's or Carbatec?

ie: http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107146830

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st September 2008, 07:55 PM
The last time I looked at Carbatec's cheap sets they were about the same.

I can't speak for the set offered by Jim, but Jim offers value for money so it's a good bet that what Jim is offering is better quality.

mpax356
2nd September 2008, 01:58 AM
They look to be identical to a set I bought here in the USA from Harbor Freight which sells a lot of cheap (sometimes good value) Chinese made stuff. HSS is generally HSS. I have found that they maintain an edge just as well as my more expensive gouges including a Sorby and P&N. I believe that buying this set for the price of one Sorby or equivalent tool is an excellent value. No, the handles are not as nice as higher priced tools. However, none of my ferules have come loose nor have the tools fallen out. Easy enough to make your own handle if it does. As mentioned you can always regrind a tool for a special purpose.

Note that the set does not include a bowl gouge so you will still have to get one.

robyn2839
2nd September 2008, 07:56 AM
northwood tools have individual tools at excellent prices and are good tools to use ,..........bob

oldiephred
2nd September 2008, 09:18 AM
IF they are in fact HIGH SPEED STEEL they should be as good as many on the market. To those who feel they are basically no good , What kind of steel do your tools contain. I have been unable to see a significant difference between low price HSS tools and high priced ones and I have both.

AndyCJ
2nd September 2008, 12:42 PM
I really like the Northwood brand - and I guess it depends on how my birthday/chrissy combination goes cash-wise.

Also - what's the difference between the bowl gouge, and the spindle gouges? To a beginner like me they look identical?