PDA

View Full Version : P&N Chisels

Grumpy John
1st September 2008, 06:05 PM
G'day All
The P&N chisels I won on eBay turned up today and the good news is all but 2 have never been sharpened or even used AFAICT. The main difference I am seeing is that the P&N chisels are a dull matt grey finish and all my other HSS chisels are quite bright and shiny. Is this finish most likely a result of the tools not having been used for 6 years (sellers claim) or is it a special finish P&N have on their tools.

On another note I noticed that one of the chisels that I picked up quite cheaply ($6.00) at a deceased estate auction has Ashley Isles Made In England acid etched on it. Is this a good quality chisel?

Cheers
GJ

Cliff Rogers
1st September 2008, 06:10 PM
All the P&N stuff I have seen is that dark dull colour.

RETIRED
1st September 2008, 06:17 PM
G'day All
The P&N chisels I won on eBay turned up today and the good news is all but 2 have never been sharpened or even used AFAICT. The main difference I am seeing is that the P&N chisels are a dull matt grey finish and all my other HSS chisels are quite bright and shiny. Is this finish most likely a result of the tools not having been used for 6 years (sellers claim) or is it a special finish P&N have on their tools.

On another note I noticed that one of the chisels that I picked up quite cheaply ($6.00) at a deceased estate auction has Ashley Isles Made In England acid etched on it. Is this a good quality chisel?

Cheers
GJAs Cliff said: P&N are always black. Ashley Isles are good chisels if they are HSS.

Alastair
2nd September 2008, 03:29 PM
And if you turn tannin rich timbers, so will be your hands!!!!

One of the only drawbacks of P&N.

regards

funkychicken
2nd September 2008, 03:42 PM
The black coating is Anti rust or something. I consider it a plus

rsser
2nd September 2008, 06:18 PM
Your metal worker's eye John will prob also light on the finish in the gouge flutes ... often a bit cruddy with P&N so have at them with a slipstone or round diamond rod.

Beats me why they coat the newies black, and leave the tangs uncoated.

funkychicken
2nd September 2008, 06:30 PM
Beats me why they coat the newies black, and leave the tangs uncoated.

Because if the tang's stuck into a handle then it can't rust

Calm
2nd September 2008, 08:45 PM
Because if the tang's stuck into a handle then it can't rust

When you clean them woth armoral (to keep them nice and shiny) it gets up the tang - so it could rust if moisture got up therre. :wink:

funkychicken
3rd September 2008, 07:50 PM
Clean my chisels...huh?

madcraft
5th September 2008, 08:38 PM
often a bit cruddy with P&N so have at them with a slipstone or round diamond rod.

I agree , you only need a light touchup { no grinder } just to put a shine on the cutting edge { about a 1000% difference } I had to do all mine especially the skews and Gouges

Cheers
Glenn

madcraft
5th September 2008, 08:42 PM
When you clean them woth armoral (to keep them nice and shiny) it gets up the tang - so it could rust if moisture got up therre. :wink:

Mine don't sit long enough to get dirty ,

I remember when I was doing my time asking one of the old chippies how they got that nice blue on their saw , he replied " Use the Bastard " , I've never let my tools sit for too long since then and is probably why I haven't got a cupboard full of dusties

Cheers
Glenn