PDA

View Full Version : Who's doing what???

clare
5th September 2008, 06:20 PM
Often a bit on the quiet side in the women's room! Just wondering who's making what? Would love to see what you're all up to. :wink:
Clare

Eowyn
5th September 2008, 06:56 PM
Current project is my 4th bookcase; tasssie ok, about 1800mm high, designed for paperback books.

However, i'm also preparing some timber to scrollsaw some chess pieces.

Then there's the two redgum bandsaw boxes which i pulled off the projects_that_stalled_shelf and put on the workbench that need sanding.

There's also the little computer trolley, floating beside the back door, in need of sanding and finishing and wheels attaching.

flynnsart
5th September 2008, 07:12 PM
Well, have posted two projects in the "pics" forum lately one is a box for my mum and the other is a side coffee table for my daughter
here http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=78313 and here http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=77949

Now I am working on an outside bench for a neighbor, it will probably have some carving in memorium of her husband who passed away recently (only 57).

How are the horses going? or have you moved on from them?

Eowyn, you will have to put some pics up of your creations, we love to look!

Donna

RufflyRustic
5th September 2008, 08:26 PM
Hi Clare and Everyone

Yeah, been a bit quiet - sorry:-

I've got a box in the WWF Box Challenge at present so can't post pictures just yet until voting finishes next Tuesday.

I've also got another miniature chest of drawers in progress which is finally at the shellacing stage before it gets put together.

HWMNBO and I bought a new tv last week. After a lot of furniture shuffling we got it in place, but now I have to hurry up and build a new entertainment unit:rolleyes: So the other planned projects are taking a back step, again :(

Pictures promised and will come this weekend.

As Donna said, are you working on a particular rocking horse at present Clare?:)

Chess pieces??? sounds very interesting.

Cheers
Wendy

clare
6th September 2008, 08:29 AM
Morning everyone,

Donna, your box and table look GREAT:2tsup: Obviously mulit-tallented-three different skills in the one table.

Geeze Eowyn! You sound flat out with your projects. Good for you. Would love to see some photos.

Good luck with the challenge Wendy. I read the threads to it and thought it sounded fun. Great way to literally think outside the box, eh? Looking forward to seeing what you came up with.

Do you all have the necessary machinary for perparing the timber you use, or what?

Yes, I'm still on the horses and enjoying it. Just finished one and its ready to paint, which is the especially fun bit for me.

Cheers,
Clare.

RufflyRustic
6th September 2008, 09:35 AM
Hi Clare,

I don't have a lot of big machinery, but do have a few very useful hand power tools. I tend to use the drop saw for cutting boards to length, use the jigsaw for cutting curves, and then files, scrapers, sometimes the router and lots of hand sanding to get the surface prepared for the chosen finish, especially on curves or fiddly pieces. I've found the small sanding cylinders that fit a handdrill especially helpful. When I get the next section of the shed set up, I'll fit my wasp sander to the yet-to-be-acquired drill press and have much more fun with it too.:D

For bigger slabs of timber, I use the circular saw, the big belt sander and maybe my new random orbital sander (thanks G!:2tsup:)

One day I'll also have a bandsaw and jointer, the thicknesser set up and dust extraction. Then I'll be able to break down my own log finds and slabs - lots of fun. But in the meantime, one step at a time :)

So what tools do you use in building your Rocking Horses?

cheers
Wendy

tea lady
6th September 2008, 12:04 PM
My list of projects

* continuing turning saucers to go with my pottery cups. Aiming for about 2 dozen to present at the Federation Square Pottery Expo in November.

* continuing laminating handles for teapots.

* turning bigger platters

* turning chess set for dad. He might get the whole set eventually.:rolleyes: And by the end I might be able to do spindle turning.

* have started a "dark side" furniture making course at the Knox Woodworkers Shed. Knocking up a tool box for all the tools. Then an "arts and crafts" design side table is the first project.

* in front of the telly at night am knitting myself a chunky black jumper from a pattern I have modified from something else. Next project is another pair of hand knitted socks out of some outrageous coloured wool, to wear with my steel capped boots. Even more comfy than Explorer sox.

* guess I should do some pottery too. A bit bored with that as I have been doing it for 200 years. (No only 20. Seems like 200 sometimes.:rolleyes:)

* keep having to pick the kid up from school. Real life is really cramping my style.:doh:

clare
6th September 2008, 12:36 PM
Wow TL-that sounds like a diverse and full creative life you've got happening! Good luck with all the projects and deadlines. I know exactly what you mean re. picking up the kids. Did that myself for best part of a couple of decades-chose to live in the bush so that was one of the 'downsides' -not that it ever felt that way, but the reality, as you say, of life outside of everything being right on your doorstep. Really interupts the flow when you have to keep watching the clock though doesn't it.

Thanks for sharing about your tools Wendy. Always amazes me how few you actually need, eh? My largest machine is a bandsaw, and from there angle grinder with arbortec industrial disc, same with abrasive metal disc, chisels and mallet for the M&T joints,mini grinder with smaller cutting discs, foredom power carver with selection of bits and burrs, sanding discs for the drill like you mentioned and more sanding elbow grease than my joints are happy with. I've found the very best way to keep my vision clear and eyes safe is to use motobike goggles-the sort with the all-in-one 'screen' and soft foam around the edges. These prevent any chips from being a hazard and because of the ventilation holes around the edges (covered in foam so still enclosed) they don't fog up ever. Cat. 5 rated ear muffs (designed for higest noise exposure eg airport workers) and sunstrom mask with pre-filters and particle filter. This combo works really well for me.

RufflyRustic
6th September 2008, 02:08 PM
:D:D TL - yep totally agree, work does get in the way of my shed life sometimes:rolleyes:

How are the laminated handles coming along? I conducted a little experiment recently and found that thin strips of timber soaked in cold water for 24 hours were softer or more bendable as compared to simmering said strips for 4 hours. This suddenly opens up a whole new area of woodworking :U I'm not into steam bending, too much fiddly stuff to setup and store. Just had a freaky thought, HWMNBO comes home from work to find strips of timber soaking in the bath!!! The look on his face would be priceless :D

Clare - it's interesting to hear you like the Cat 5 ear protection. I'm on my second pair of ear muffs and am still not happy with them. They are hand-me downs from HWMNBO so no idea what they, just that they are better than what I was using previously. At least I know what I don't want in ear protection:rolleyes: Those goggles sound just the ticket too. Nothing worse than having a chip sneaking in between skin and protective gear, especially near your eyes:oo::(

cheers
Wendy

flynnsart
6th September 2008, 04:22 PM
Your darkside course sounds interesting! Beware woodworking starts to replace all your other hobbies.

Clare, by the time I fit all my safety gear on, there is no room left on my face. My glasses fog up and the dust mask gets pushed down, think I need an all in one. Reckon the motorbike goggles would be fine, but dont know if i would fit a dust mask on with them. Hubby would get hightly suspicious if I came home with motorcycle goggles, he would be looking around to see where I stashed the motorbike.

Donna

Claw Hama
6th September 2008, 04:48 PM
Hi Ladies just passing by, I always 99% of the time use a full face sheild, stops crap hitting you in the face I can wear my glasses, P1 or 2 dust mask and ear plugs or muffs. And no fog. Bye:bricks:

Wild Dingo
7th September 2008, 03:03 AM
aaarrggghhh ugg you woosies me tuff ruff shed mangod! :showoff: Me work shed man way ugh :headbang: protect eyesockets wif glasses cause I cant see nuffink wifout em but the rest of me is tuff :rule: mind you bein so tuff does have its downsides :stretcher: ... but bein the ruff tuff shed mangod I am I just laugh "ha ha ha" and continue on me ways :woot: ... ooh I do get woosie like yous mob when welding or grinding otherwise me luv the scent an feel of wood at close quarters!... AND!!!... I dont got no chintz curtains... unlike some woosieboys from banana land not mentioning any names eh Cliffy :rotfl:

pwodjecks? me workin hard on that :doh: Just bout finished the subframe for the camper... been a good projeck that one... woodwork? WELL NOW!!!... first I gotta get the subframe gone then... THEN!!!... then Ive got a canopy Im making for the camper to replace the old canvas one this will either be stripped planked or veneered ply but since its a fair area Im a bit hessitant with that then theres a few bowls I want to turn and I really do need to get my bum into gear and make a few veneer artworks that Ive sorta had on the backburner for some time now.

Teaching my youngest fella to make pens on the wee lathe I bought him has been a bit of a trial since the sheds been modified for the welding process... and hes getting a tad irritated with his old man just now... hes getting fairly snappy with them only takes 3 sets of blanks to get one pen now!! :2tsup: and since he enjoys it so much Im gonna get him to turn a small bowl hopefully next weekend...

I also need to... mmm no I MUST... make a new bench for the table saw that Ive dragged out of the midst of the spiders webs dust and crud in the corner that the base is bent way outta shape on... mmm thinking I better do this first eh?

But masks and earmuffs?? IN A SHED??? good greif do you scream swear and yell sooo much you need all that!! WOW!!!... when turning something I LOVE the feel of sawdust and chips flying around me noggin breathin in the good clean scent of timber just fair turns me ON!!! :o but then again I am a ruff tuff shed mangod :;

Sothy girlths mustht away now dears :hihi:

Sorry just couldnt resist the urge within :whistling2:

Cheers all
Shane

Shedgirl
17th September 2008, 12:04 PM
My current project is trying to get all my husband's crap (sorry, I mean 'treasures") out of MY workspace. He already got the biggest shed, and now he's taken over the carport too! Moved my woodstash to park his Big Orange Digger so the poor wee thing doesn't get wet!!! (It's a DIGGER, DARLING!!! It's supposed to get muddy!!!) Just because he makes wine he thinks his stuff is more important then my Stuff, so the cramped pathetic space I did call my workshop is now called the cellar.. I haven't made anything for ages, apart from a day-care centre for baby chicks who aren't big enough to go in the main chookie run with their mean aunties yet. And that was hardly Champagne Woodwork.

Okay, I've taken a deep breath now. I'm okay...

RufflyRustic
17th September 2008, 08:42 PM
Hmmm, yeah, not fun sharing space.:no: The only way I know to get the message across, is to take over an area he considers "his" space and not let go of it until you get your space back - doesn't always work, I know, but just sometimes.....:)

cheers
Wendy

tea lady
17th September 2008, 09:50 PM
You must have had the space a bit to clean, Shedgirl. A space is meant to be filled with stuff, you see.:rolleyes:

flynnsart
17th September 2008, 10:03 PM
Perhaps it is time to start using the big orange digger as a display place for some male centerfold photos, haha :q

Donna

Shedgirl
18th September 2008, 11:20 PM
Perhaps it is time to start using the big orange digger as a display place for some male centerfold photos, haha :q

Donna

Or time to start using it as a weapon of mass destruction and reclaim my space!!!

tea lady
18th September 2008, 11:25 PM
Starch his undies?:rolleyes::D

RufflyRustic
19th September 2008, 09:55 AM
Yeah, Starch his undies!!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::D

Shedgirl
19th September 2008, 04:33 PM
I'd have to find them first!!!

tea lady
19th September 2008, 05:06 PM
Just follow your nose?:rolleyes: I had to get Bubby to put his socks in the bathroom last night as I couldn't breath with them on the bedroom floor like they are usually. I don't know what he had been doing.:shrug:
Is there another place you could put your own shed.? This time make the door just a bit too narrow to drive anything through.:cool:

AlexS
19th September 2008, 07:59 PM
I shouldn't really give secrets away, but here's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysistrata) your answer.:D

RufflyRustic
19th September 2008, 08:59 PM
Have you heard how I finally got my own shed? Threw the biggest hissy fit:- but, it worked. i wonder what would happen if hubby got no clean clothes, no food cooked, no everything else and a massive hissy fit on top of that. Do you think they might pay attention then?:rolleyes:

Shedgirl
21st September 2008, 12:40 AM
I shouldn't really give secrets away, but here's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysistrata) your answer.:D

Isn't that a classic case of cutting off your own nose to spite your face, though???:B

I've tried witholding all other domestic services... don't think anyone noticed until the 6 year old yelled "Muuuuum! There's no clean plates!" to which his sister, older and wiser, replied, "Just eat straight out of the packet, Doofus." Might have worked on a normal family.... sigh...

RufflyRustic
21st September 2008, 09:48 AM
:rotfl:

Good news! Will be putting up some pictures tonight - finally!!:)

AlexS
21st September 2008, 12:23 PM
Isn't that a classic case of cutting off your own nose to spite your face, though???:B.... sigh...

Depends how badly you want it (the shed, that is:D).

RufflyRustic
21st September 2008, 09:51 PM
Pictures!! Finally. Another miniature chest of drawers. Am going to use this to store the leather lacing for my leatherwork.

cheers
Wendy

flynnsart
21st September 2008, 11:36 PM
Very nice Wendy, what size are they?

Donna

RufflyRustic
22nd September 2008, 09:35 AM
The squat one is about 30 cm long and a bit less high. I built it about 3-4 years ago. Didn't know anything about shellac then so I used the spray can of varnish. :rolleyes:

The new chest is less than 20 long (across the front) about 35 cm high, depth about 20 cm. Finished with multiple coats of UBeaut's Hard Shellac, EEE'd and then trad waxed. Beautiful finish! Just what I was looking for to show off the grain - I think it's a crown cut. Typical - the nicest grained piece of timber in all of bunnies and it had to be the one at the top of the pack with the most battered marks:(.

The handles were fun to shellac, but in the end, I just dipped them into the shellac, let them dry, dip again and again and a..... they got about 10 coats, but they look good and it was the easiest way to finish them.

Cheers
Wendy

wheelinround
22nd September 2008, 09:47 AM
LOML had a good weekend http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpost.php?p=810983&postcount=9

flynnsart
22nd September 2008, 09:54 AM
They look pretty cool wheelin, she must be pretty pleased with herself!:2tsup:

"Walks away, shaking head, saying firmly to herself "I will not touch the lathe, I will not get sucked into another hobby, I will not touch the lathe....."

Donna

wheelinround
22nd September 2008, 10:01 AM
Come on Donna you now you want to :p

HandyAndrea
7th October 2008, 09:02 AM
Haven't posted in here for a while. Finished my stepladder, several bookcases (still have a couple to do, to house my gazillion books) - JUST finished a good, solid workbench (way better to work on than the floor!) - it has castors, so I can wheel it out of the shed on a fine day, and the sawdust just buries itself in the lawn :D. (Shavings are another matter - any ideas???) I have the timber cut for 4 outdoor chairs - the current project. I wish I had a bandsaw, but I guess I have to save up for that!

Stand your ground with the shed, girls. Unless you do, it's just "Mum's little hobby", and therefore last on the list. Sharing is good, though! I had problems when I wanted to train as a chef. My late husband didn't think it was at ALL a great idea for me to take two days a week away from the farm, but I persevered, (and fought for it too) and he learned, firstly to respect, then later, to be proud of my efforts. Lucky I did train....it kept the wolf from the door, later, after he died prematurely!!

clare
7th October 2008, 11:06 AM
Good for you Andrea-on all acounts. The woodworking projects sound great, the stack of books, brilliant, and the self-sufficiency vital. Very sorry to hear about your husband though. I hope life remains good for you. All best wishes.

HandyAndrea
10th October 2008, 10:46 AM
the books need weeding out! Trouble is, there's way too many and the job's too big. I know my kids are going to take most of them to the dump when I pop me clogs, so I'm slowly finding new owners for all the old (and I DO mean old) craft books. I know there are people out there who value the old techniques. Hanging on to the woodwork and DIY books, tho!

Yes Clare, life IS good, because I keep learning new things. I've retired from the (dairy) farm for some years now... worked as a chef for 5 years, now a working artist. (Not that that pays well, except in joy). I love your horses! One day, when I have my furniture sorted, I think I may try making one.

clare
10th October 2008, 10:54 AM
So glad to hear that Andrea. I know just what you mean about the riches of learning new things. My passion too as long as those things don't reside under metal bonnets, or on grass turf playing fields!

Good luck with the giddy-up down the track.

Johncs
19th November 2008, 01:00 PM
However, i'm also preparing some timber to scrollsaw some chess pieces.

:pics:

Johncs
19th November 2008, 01:05 PM
My list of projects

* turning chess set for dad. He might get the whole set eventually.:rolleyes: And by the end I might be able to do spindle turning.
:doh:
:pics:

Eowyn
19th November 2008, 10:41 PM
You want pics? hmmmmmm.. i've only done about 10 out of 16 so far.... unsanded.

You dont' expect me to finish them in less than a year, do you?

Johncs
20th November 2008, 06:29 PM
You want pics? hmmmmmm.. i've only done about 10 out of 16 so far.... unsanded.

You dont' expect me to finish them in less than a year, do you?

I don't care how long you take, provided that you finish before I want to start:)

If you could post a blow-by-blow account of how you did it, so much the better.

On my todo list is a chess table, built to FIDE standards. A chess table isn't much good without chess pieces.

As you haven't finished, you're in a really good position to photograph some of the "how I did it."

Eowyn
23rd November 2008, 05:21 PM
Johncs
Here's the chess pieces in progress

I think the timber is obeche.

The design comes from " Wooden chess sets you can make" by DIana Thompson

RufflyRustic
24th November 2008, 09:49 AM
Oh WoWohWoWohWoW!!!!!!!!!!:2tsup::2tsup: they are going to look even more stunning when you finish them!!!!!!!!!

___

I've been fighting with some recalcitrant Camphor Laurel again. Finally got the lid sorted for it. I have to say, I just love using my beltsander, it makes sanding and shaping the squiggles soooo much easier!! :)

Cheers
Wendy

Johncs
24th November 2008, 10:49 AM
Johncs

Wow:cool:
The wood looks like this (http://www.sykestimber.co.uk/timber/images/obeche.jpg)and this (http://www.lathamtimber.co.uk/images/Hardwood%20Images/African_Obeche.gif) to me

Eowyn
24th November 2008, 07:04 PM
I was just thinking yesterday how much easier ww has been since i got the belt/disk sander last year. I can knock up a jig or flatten the bottom of a box in a wink.

Then I sat down to sand the damn intricate chess pieces. *sigh*

clare
24th November 2008, 07:13 PM
Love those chess pieces!! Brilliant. Great to have in the family longtime. :D:2tsup:

tea lady
24th November 2008, 07:31 PM
Johncs

:C Oh yes! The chess pieces. :sigh: I currently have 11 nearly the same oak pawns.:doh: and two "not the same" rooks.:C

But I HAVE done the Fed Square Pottery Expo, and started some other big stuff.:rolleyes:

Eowyn
24th November 2008, 10:48 PM
I had an "oops"

busyhands
25th November 2008, 11:56 AM
Hi all, just discovered this wonderful forum. What a wonderfully creative bunch you all are!

I've been pottering with wood for most of my life - caught the bug off my dad! The past four years has seen me building our house - a strawbale construction, so the woodwork has had to take a back step. Now I'm starting to build bits and pieces again which is a wonderful feeling!

Here's a few pics of the house and my latest hall table.

tea lady
25th November 2008, 04:15 PM
What a wonderful looking house. And kitchen and hall table.:cool: Welcome to the forum.:D

tea lady
25th November 2008, 04:17 PM
I had an "oops"
:C Ooops. ..... Exactly WHICH piece is that?:hmm: :D Hope you have some spare wood for another one.:rolleyes:

flynnsart
25th November 2008, 05:36 PM
Busy Hands, your house looks very interesting, nice work on the table too.

We have started a mud brick house, which hasnt had anything done to it for a while. I have been too busy playing in the shed, and going to work and a lack of funds :no:.

Now we have been given a hurry up by the new "amalgamated" council, so its out of the shed for me now, and back to the house. Of course, I do have the kitchen to look forward to making, and maybe a couple of doors etc.

So is anyone working on anything? I have nearly finished a desk, which I have pics of in the big items forum, and before that I made a lamp for the pallet comp, and in between that I finished off a rocking chair, which is similar in style to a directors chair, will post pics for that when I get some canvas for it.

So where is Kekimo, Lubbin5cherubs....

Donna

RufflyRustic
25th November 2008, 09:02 PM
Oh No!! A broken chess piece:C what a shame.

Welcome Busy Hands:) What a beautiful table that is! Is that inlay work in the table?

cheers
Wendy

busyhands
26th November 2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments. The top of the table has glass inserts - I have installed lights underneath, so when they are turned on they light up the wall and the painting above.

Jan

RufflyRustic
26th November 2008, 08:43 PM
Now that's a well-thoughtout idea Busy Hands (great forum name, by the way :D)

Are you working on anything special at the moment?

cheers
Wendy

busyhands
26th November 2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks - I was pretty proud of it. :B Currently making a dining room table 1800 square out of stainless steel and red stringybark. It's a long slow process but it's getting there. Also into a bit of carving - banksia cones, leaves etc on the side of platters and bowls. I love the design process as much as the making. There's a real buzz when you have that "ah huh" moment when it all falls together (the design not the wood!). When the wood falls its more of an "OH #@%&!!!" moment!:doh: It's certainly an addictive activity isn't it?

RufflyRustic
26th November 2008, 10:07 PM
Oh yeah! totally addictive as many of us here can also attest to :D

flynnsart
27th November 2008, 09:58 PM
Yes that ah huh feeling when you design something is the best, followed only by when you make up the design and it works:2tsup:

Donna

clare
28th November 2008, 03:14 PM
Welcome Jan, and what a beautiful house! The rooflines are brilliant. Especially the main roof. I love mud brick/straw bale too. And I couldn't but help notice the shed! It's a whoooper. How good. Congratulations on adding something outstandingly beautiful in the way of domestic architecture that sits WITH the landscape-as oppoed to on it or against it!

And of course your table is very lovely. The fiddleback is great and I like the asymetry of the glass inserts-think it mostly the asymetry of the main roof that appeals so much too. Non-conventional. Good on ya! :2tsup:
Clare.

lindaj448
11th December 2008, 09:52 AM
Well, have posted two projects in the "pics" forum lately one is a box for my mum and the other is a side coffee table for my daughter
here http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=78313 and here http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=77949

Donna

Hi Donna
I'm just getting started in wood working on my own, did some in high school. Your pieces are lovely, I would like to see the make up box all sanded and oil up. That side table is awesome, I bet your daughter will be pleased. I'm currently working on a small box, I'm making it out of maple burl, I guess you would call it a burr. I think it is going to look great, the grain is fantastic! Keep on creating.:2tsup:
Cheers
Linda

flynnsart
11th December 2008, 11:29 PM
Hi there, I am looking forward to having a look at your box when you have it done (or halfway done, work in progress shots are good to share). There is a pic of mums box after it has been oiled in that post ifyou scroll down the page further. Welcome to the forum:2tsup:

Donna

flynnsart
11th December 2008, 11:46 PM
Here is another pic of the box, I cant seem to open the other pic.

Donna

busyhands
12th December 2008, 04:15 PM
What a sweet little thing - is that redgum? How did you do the top curve - steamed? laminated? Can't quite tell from the picture.

I guess it would help if I had gone back and looked at earlier threads - which I just did, and saw all of that information listed. It's a lovely piece - Well done!

lubbing5cherubs
14th December 2008, 11:07 PM
beautiful

HandyAndrea
8th January 2009, 10:00 AM
the new ladies who have joined since I posted last. What beautiful work you have done. I wish I were brave enough to have a go at building a house! Or is it somewhat like learning one small thing at a time, and before you know it.......... ? Perhaps I'll have a go when my grand-daughter qualifies as a carpenter, and can tell Nana what to do (she's starting this year!)

The four outdoor chairs I was building were LOVED by the recipients as their Christmas presents - they want two more, and a two-seater to match. They were really comfortable to sit in, too. I can see me varying that design to make myself some nice, comfy upholstered chairs! Each chair had FOURTEEN mortice and tenon joints. I did each one by hand, so to get them all tight and square was a HUGE learning curve. Unfortunately, I never thought to take photos, but will, of the next lot.

Taking a break from complicated stuff, right now and making two small bookcases. The stash of timber is getting ever lower. It was threatening to take over the house (my shed wasn't all that dry til I got the new roof on, so nowhere else to store it).

Next is an outdoor lounger for my daughter's pool area, then back to chairs again. Oh, for a bandsaw, for all the matched curvy bits! Maybe I'll have to buy myself one for my birthday.

Son and daughter-in-law (the recipients of the chairs) bought me a stand for my drop-saw for Christmas. Needless to say, I'm delighted! They always were good at validating my current passion. Good luck, all.

LogDog
18th January 2009, 08:26 PM
Hi Everyone, My name is Laura and I am a timber cutter in Far North Queensland.
The latest thing I have done apart from mill pleanty of high grade cabinet timber was to attend some of the Working With Wood shows last year. It was heaps of fun and I had a bowl turned from a piece of my maple. I think it is just great and I can't wait to have some more stuff turned.:2tsup: I have never done woodturning, but I have fond memories of my grandfather turning on his lathe. I guess, if I had the right guidance, I could put my hand to anything, including woodturning.:B
Also I got myself a new friend (Boo Boo Bear) a mastiff x boxer pup who is growing into quite a nice little Log Dog.

Like, I know my woods good, but it looks even better when it has function.

Blisters
6th February 2009, 04:15 PM
Hi all
My current project is stripping the carpet and lino from the spare room.

The carpet comes off easy but the lino is glued on very thoroughly. :( I'm peeling off the top layer and then use a paintscaper to get rid of as much as I can. It'll take me weeks, partly because at the moment it is too hot to work in the room. Once that is done I'll attack the rest with the belt sander. I'm hoping the floorboards underneath are as good as the ones in the lounge, which I did last year. Luckily there was no lino in the lounge.

btw since I don't have a shed, this was where I built my bookcases...

Johncs
12th February 2009, 11:51 PM
Hi all
My current project is stripping the carpet and lino from the spare room.

The carpet comes off easy but the lino is glued on very thoroughly. :( I'm peeling off the top layer and then use a paintscaper to get rid of as much as I can. It'll take me weeks, partly because at the moment it is too hot to work in the room. Once that is done I'll attack the rest with the belt sander. I'm hoping the floorboards underneath are as good as the ones in the lounge, which I did last year. Luckily there was no lino in the lounge.

btw since I don't have a shed, this was where I built my bookcases...

What you need is a proper scraper. I had some lino, alleged to contain asbestos, that was firmly glued to the concrete beneath. Bunnings has the tool for the job, it has a steel handle long enough one stands using it, and a flat (toolsteel I think) blade for digging under the stuff glued down.

I used a good respirator, and I mopped regularly with a damp mop.

And I only did a few minutes to a session, no sense in bringing out the, er, did you say it? blisters.

Blisters
13th February 2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the advice Johncs. Unfortunately there are timber floorboards underneath the lino and I don't want to risk damaging them. Once the lino is off, I'm going to sand and oil the floorboards.

HandyAndrea
17th February 2009, 09:19 AM
- yes, just the ordinary garden variety - is also a good tool for removing glued-down flooring. And, Blisters - if used carefully, it doesn't make a mess of the floors.

ficfac
1st March 2009, 08:58 PM
Hey Blisters, a heat gun if used with a bit of caution is also a good help. :)

Blisters
16th July 2009, 11:02 PM
Well, I've done it at last.

I've scraped off the lino with a chisel, sanded the floor and put on the first coat of oil. :D

Before & after...

trolly
17th July 2009, 09:47 AM
Hi, clare !
I am about to buy a lathe, a woodfast 280s .:) Can't wait for it.:2tsup:.

JMB
17th July 2009, 09:53 AM
Hey Blisters, your floor looks great. I imagine you must have felt great to see how beautiful the timber looked when you put the oil on.

kekemo
23rd July 2009, 05:29 PM
Thought I'd drop by and post some pictures.... the ladies here are so darn talented.... I see all your work & think cripes I couldn't do that... but of course we're all doing different things... combined I think we made a pretty good impression!! CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE.....
Imagine my thrill the other week... when one on the guys commented...on how well some of my pieces turned out.....
Might sound little strange... but with-out my hubby alive now... sometimes just getting the praise from one of the boys is definitely encouraging ...
Well no more dribble... really been keeping busy.... cut out enough stuff yesterday... making two bread-box's... 3 compartments... EVERY SINGLE piece is recycled... couldn't believe when I found it on the road verge... YIPPY... well I'll post more as I go... should take a little over a week.... as its only spare time I can get in shed....
.... I've already posted these two pictures in General Woodwork... post & shout out in there mostly... try to stir Dingo:D if I can....lol...

This is the unit I was working on last month....did this & childrens chair/ table I posted last time...they're all for Vicky's birthday... quite pleased with the over all appearance.... blue matches their existing dining room setting.
Cheers everyone KEKEMO...alias Kerry ... or 'Sh..Ed's Lady...

Oh that would be right... Dingo... you're a "Bloody Girls-Blouse..."....talk that matcho crap in here... & then post a ID photo... dressed to "Kill"... you lady-boy.... LOL... knew you couldn't resist visiting us "sassy sheila's" to see what interesting stuff we churn out..... vambosse ... unless you come baring chocolates ... flowers or lots of complements....

Cheers everyone... Kerry ...alias KEKEMO..."Sh.Ed's Lady"...:2tsup:

Scosam
28th July 2009, 01:40 PM
Hi all!

So this is my first try at a box since mmmmm, high school! I also tried my hand at carving. It's a frog. (might need to clarify) Made the box from Jarrah floor boards, and some sheoak off cuts as trim and inlay. The carved frog is made from Karri... I used a hand grinder to shape it as any carving tools I had in the shed just got bent, 'cause the Karri is so hard!
Anyway would love some tips and pointers or just some thoughts!

Thanks Sam