PDA

View Full Version : Big wall unit

fozz
5th September 2008, 08:28 PM
This is a wallunit I made a few months ago. It was about the same time I joined this forum in the hope of getting an idea of what to buy in the way of machinery, you were and are all a great help.

The unit is made out of Victorian Ash, both solid and veneer board. Everything that can be seen is solid timber, the very top cupboards and the bottom section behind the drawer fronts is veneer board.

The unit is 4.5 metres long, 2.4 metres high and 0.5 metres deep.

Anyway, its a biggun and gave me so much pleasure to make,

Ross.

mic-d
5th September 2008, 08:56 PM
Hi Ross, having done a similar sized built-in recently, I really appreciate the work that goes into something this big, and mine had nowhere near as many nooks. That is a great design well executed and you should be very proud of it.
:2tsup:

Cheers
Michael

snapman007
5th September 2008, 09:06 PM
That's not the $1600 Carbatec saw with the sliding table is it?

fozz
5th September 2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks Micheal, much appreciated.

Snapman, It certainly is the saw with the sliding table from Carbatec for around $1600.00 and in my opinion, its a beauty.

Claw Hama
5th September 2008, 10:37 PM
Ross great job how long did it take you? great proportions and style. You workshop must have more room in there than it looks in your photos.

snapman007
5th September 2008, 10:53 PM
How acurate are the repetative cuts?
Does it rip 1200mm to the right of blade?
I am an absolute novice at all this but my on first trip to Carbatec (any machinery shop) I looked at this saw and thought it was to much saw for the money. It felt like it was designed by accountants, but could that have just been the floor model not set up properly as i've read somewhere else on these forums?

fozz
5th September 2008, 11:27 PM
It took 2 months from buying the machines, clearing the garage to make room, to finishing and installation of the unit.

The garage is 6 metres by 4 metres at the moment with a carport at the front that's the same size. I had to build the unit in two pieces, it was too high to fit under the carport roof.

Here's a timeline front start to finish,

First week, bought the machines, got them home and set them up.
Second week, set up the dust extraction, bought a heap of timber and started gluing them together to make the carcasses of the unit.
Third week, still more timber, more panel making.
Forth week, actually started making cupboards.
Fifth week, needed more timber and veneered board for cupboards.
Sixth week, sanding, sanding, sanding, and still more sanding.
Seventh week, doors and drawer fronts and drawers made and installed.
Eighth week, polishing and installing the unit into the customers loungeroom.

I found myself constantly taking two steps forward and one sometimes two backwards. I'd get to a certain point then realise I had to stop what I was doing to do something else first so that I could go on with the next step. Its amazing what you take for granted when you work for someone and the things you need to do the job are just there. Its not until you start something like this that you realise just was is needed in each step to get the job done.

I would glue up a few panels, using all the clamps I had at the time, then have to wait for them to dry before doing more. At one stage there I actually wondered if I'd bitten of more than I could chew, I had some cupboards made, a heap of panels glued up, more timber arrive and all of a sudden it was gridlock. I had to spend a day and a half rearranging things to be able to continue which was alot of fun after the swearing and cursing had died down :)

I've also got a slab of concrete at the back of the garage thats the same width, 4 metres, and 5 metres deep. Come October, the garage will be 11 metres by 4 metres, might ever be able to swing the neighbours cat then cos there aint no room now :)

Anyway, that is the unit thats given me the chance to get back into doing something I love and at the moment I couldnt be happier.

Ross.

snapman007
6th September 2008, 12:23 AM
Hey Ross,
Be proud of what you do, it's much easier to get up in the morning and look yourself in the mirror. I'm starting to go through a big transition from getting out of 20yrs behind a desk/computer to do what you are doing.
I still can't believe from the photos that you built that cabinet where you did. Doesn't look like enough room to swing a cat (means its head keeps hitting the walls, not a bad thing unless you need it to clean your toilet). For the first time in my life it looks like I don't need to spend as much money as I thought (just gonna buy more equipment)- I am definetly magnetised to expensive stuff- doesn't matter what it is.
(appologisy for grammer & spellin)

Cheers,
Paul
---who spilt my drink??

GraemeCook
8th September 2008, 04:09 PM
Absolutely delightful, Ross, well done.

Hope you do not mind me asking a couple of questions.

You appear to have put double veneer board verticals between each drawer bay and each cabinet bay. Was there any particular reason you built it in one piece rather than a series of smaller sections that could then be assembled and joined on site - like the kitchen fabricators do.

Those stainless? drawer runners look like they extend about 110%. What are they, and how happy are you with them?

Again, I am envious.

Cheers

Graeme

fozz
8th September 2008, 06:47 PM
G'day Graeme,

Thanks for the comments and always happy to answer questions if I can.

Whilst it doesn't show in the pictures, the unit is actually 17 smaller cabinets all screwed together. I had to make it like that to get it into the customer home.

I screwed the cabinets together as I made the unit so as to fit the doors and drawer fronts.

The drawer runners are full extension 3 stage stainless steel. unfortunately I dont know the brand. I get them from a kitchen hardware supplier in Kilsyth. Next time I talk to them I'll ask what brand they are and post it here.

They work brilliantly, easy to pull apart and fit and they also self-close the last 50mm.

Cheers,

Ross.

chris casey
8th September 2008, 11:59 PM
I'm going to build a bookcase. I am a complete amatuer. I was wondering how you attached your shelves to the verticals. I was considering screwing but I'm concerned about the screw heads showing. I am using blackbutt.

GraemeCook
9th September 2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks Ross. You fooled me by showing the unit assembled in the workshop. Small pieces are certainly more manageable.

Cheers

Graeme

fozz
9th September 2008, 04:58 PM
Chris,

The cabinets where the sides sit against another cabinet are screwed and glued together, the ones on the outside that are seen were done with a biscuit jointer.

Hope that helps you,

Ross.

BobR
9th September 2008, 05:20 PM
Great work and beautiful cabinet. I also thought that it was one unit and was glad that it was you moving it and not me.

RicB
15th September 2008, 10:30 AM
You don't see a lot of those large wall units that take up a whole wall much these days. I think they are the duck's nuts, and would love to build one for our lounge but SWMBO has different ideas.....perhaps if I show here these photo's (grabs missus)......................................(missus looking)...............................:no: