PDA

View Full Version : Next Turn-on 18th-19th OCT.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

RETIRED
8th September 2008, 08:14 AM
Gooday all.

As mentioned at the last one I thought it about time I had another gathering of the Clan at my place.

I don't mind if it runs over the 2 days.

I thought that we might make it a w/e of problem solving. If you have a problem with some aspect of turning, the collective gathering may be able to solve it for you in a "hands on" way.

If you wish, you can post the problem here or PM me direct and I will try to put together a loose program.

BBQ lunch as per usual.

Calm
8th September 2008, 08:15 AM
I'M IN:2tsup::2tsup::D

RETIRED
8th September 2008, 08:17 AM
Shee, the ink wasn't even dry.:D

bowl-basher
8th September 2008, 08:55 AM
:(:(:(
Gee you lot know how to make us new south welshmen feel un loved and neglected We may have to think about our own turn week end.. Any comments from my fellow Sydney Siders:toot:

Bowl -Basher

hughie
8th September 2008, 09:47 AM
Bowl basher, I have been thinking of doing just that when I get a shed in a few months.

Go anyway its only 1hr by air and lap up some of that southern hospitality. :U

A highly recommended event.

Gra
8th September 2008, 09:56 AM
depending on a leave pass i'm in

Grumpy John
8th September 2008, 09:59 AM
Both days sounds good to me :2tsup::2tsup:, I'm in.

Rum Pig
8th September 2008, 11:59 AM
I would love to come :rolleyes:

best start walking now or I might be late:D

I will be down that way in the first week of November, pity or you could have counted me in:(

Cliff Rogers
8th September 2008, 12:32 PM
I'd love to BUT.... it is a bit too close to this for me to get away.
http://www.proserpinewoodturners.com/CurrentTurnout.html

tea lady
8th September 2008, 02:03 PM
I'll be there. :2tsup: Both days prolly OK. When is the Woodworking Show? I doesn't clash does it? :?

Groggy
8th September 2008, 02:05 PM
I'd like to come too .

Groggy
8th September 2008, 02:08 PM
I'll be there. :2tsup: Both days prolly OK. When is the Woodworking Show? I doesn't clash does it? :?WWW Show dates.

Fri 24th Oct 2008 10am - 5pm
Sat 25th Oct 2008 10am - 5pm
Sun 26th Oct 2008 10am - 5pm

tea lady
8th September 2008, 02:33 PM
WWW Show dates.

Fri 24th Oct 2008 10am - 5pm
Sat 25th Oct 2008 10am - 5pm
Sun 26th Oct 2008 10am - 5pm

That's OK then.:D

nalmo
8th September 2008, 02:41 PM
Count me in too please.

rsser
8th September 2008, 02:55 PM
Either day is good for me.

Many thanks .

This will be at Tooradin?

Watch out or I'll bring the big problem baby :wink:

RETIRED
8th September 2008, 04:43 PM
I have had a couple of enquiries re staying the Sat. night.

We have room to fit vans and campers in. If you want to bring a swag or some such there is room to bed down for the night.

I might even spring eggs and bacon for brekky.:D

woodwork wally
8th September 2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks for that :2tsup::2tsup:.Count me in for at least one and it doesn't matter which and I will contact Bobby and mabe another one or 2 from this side and share a ride . seeyah when I'm lookin atcha:D:D WW. Wally

dai sensei
8th September 2008, 11:42 PM
Would have loved to come , but I will have just got back from Perth and need to get back to work.

Hope you all have a good time, perhaps you can finish those bowls we started at DJ's place, if they aren't finished already that is.

Now all I need is for the WA members to get their act together before I get there :U:U

jefferson
8th September 2008, 11:48 PM

I'll be down for the 2 days, the missus still doesn't believe your lathe bed is a kilometre long.

Problems? Ern has a few, probably starting with sharpening. For me, I'm still wanting someone to sort out end-grain hollowing on lidded boxes without resorting to drill etc. The Raffan approach is still too scary.

And , you better tell the bakery we are coming!

Jeff

rsser
9th September 2008, 07:32 AM
I keep telling Jeff to knock up an Oland tool to hollow his boxes!

Might get further if I offered him a Reeders Signature Tool made only to order for megabucks :wink:

Ashes
9th September 2008, 07:53 AM
Either, both at this stage good for me. Would love to meet a few of you blokes and see how it is really done!!

Dangerous timing though!!! A week before the wood show and no doubt I'll be inspired well beyond my ability and will get lots of new ideas for tools and wood I probably don't really need:D

jefferson
9th September 2008, 10:15 AM
Alright Ern,

knock one of those tools up for me at the discount rate (please). Any chance of it being ready for the turnfest?

Jeff

rsser
9th September 2008, 10:37 AM
No problem Jeff ... can you turn chisel handles yet?

jefferson
9th September 2008, 06:50 PM
Ern, you and some of the others in the more experienced class can be pretty cheeky.

I rang a few weeks back, seeking his advice on the removing the dimples I was getting in my lidded boxes. Cheeky sod gave some good advice, then sent me a PM entitled:

"How are your dimples going?"

So Ern, the short answer is No, I've not turned a handle yet. But I reckon I can manage, as long as I careful with the skew. I turned redgum platter no. 2 today, probably not as nice as the first one I did with you, but passable. A couple of furrows with the gouge after using the Ci1 didn't help.

And I do have a spare Ci1 handle somewhere, will that do?

Jeff

rsser
9th September 2008, 07:14 PM
Well done on the platter Jeff.

Just takes practice. On no. 25 you're cruising, no. 50 you can't explain any more how you do it, and on no. 75 you're bored witless.

Sorry if I came across as cheeky.

But I guess I was pushing it a bit.

As an addicted tool buyer myself it seemed to me you were looking for solutions in the wrong place.

So what's the internal diameter of the hole on your rougher handle?

(Skew, you out there still ??!! ... what would you go for? .. square section steel mounting shaft or round? I've used both but you're the guru with this kind of tool.)

jefferson
9th September 2008, 08:00 PM
The Ci1 handle I have is .49mm internal, round section. I shouldn't use it as it was a freebie from Craig Jackson, but it's spare.

Now Ern, and Co, I don't mind a little cheeky, as one day I figure I'll be giving the newbies some stick and encouragement as well.

And yes, I am something of a tool addict as well. Next to a home-made jig, new tools are nearly the answer to any woodworking problem.

I was really impressed with the Ci1 today, though I must learn to turn with the tool so that I don't get covered in shavings. The 2 inch radius bit cut thru aged redgum like butter. And it wasn't hard getting a decent profile either, so that I could ease/ refine the curve with my heavy duty swept-back scraper.

Did I say that the 9m by 9m extension to my shed is up? Half or more will house the boat, garden tools and some camping gear, but there will be some left over for timber racks. I've got another 2 cubes of redgum that need a home, including 4 smallish natural edge slabs. ( is turning the legs for one entry table, though he doesn't know it yet). 90mm KD redgum legs are beyond me at the moment. I'd give it a go but at $50 a metre, you want to be sure!

Just in time for the turnfest down at Tooradin.

Jeff

rsser
9th September 2008, 08:12 PM
The Ci1 handle I have is .49mm internal, round section.

Hmm, that'd be beyond my metal working skills Jeff.

49mm? Even that sounds big.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th September 2008, 12:23 AM
(Skew, you out there still ??!! ... what would you go for? .. square section steel mounting shaft or round? I've used both but you're the guru with this kind of tool.)

[stealth mode: OFF]

IMHO round stock results in a tool that's more versatile, as you can roll it to finesse the cut. You can always mill a flat on one side if you want a "positive feel" to how it sits on the tool rest.

However, square ones are easier for the non-metalworker (ie. me :- ) to make and they still work almost as well...

[stealth mode: ON]

rsser
10th September 2008, 06:22 AM
:wink: thanks mate; only seconds above the radar.

Grumpy John
10th September 2008, 08:11 AM
The Ci1 handle I have is .49mm internal, round section. Jeff

Ern,
I think he means .49 INCH..... 1/2".

rsser
10th September 2008, 09:01 AM
Sounds logical; thanks GJ.

Jeff?

And how long is the handle? How far does the shaft go in?

We don't want something too big or heavy at the other end of a 3/16" or 1/4" bit.

Calm
10th September 2008, 08:33 PM
:jacked:

been waiting to do that one:D:D:D:stirthepot:

:stirthepot:

cheers

rsser
11th September 2008, 07:41 AM
Mea culpa.

We've gone off line.

rsser
12th September 2008, 01:45 PM
And now you're missing delicate talk about about how wide his socket is and how big my shaft is ...

Yeah, OK, Jeff and I can start a new, er, thread.

Calm
12th September 2008, 07:51 PM
And now you're missing delicate talk about about how wide his socket is and how big my shaft is ...

Yeah, OK, Jeff and I can start a new, er, thread.

Remember to omit the bits about group hugs & stuff like that.:D:D:D

Wild Dingo
12th September 2008, 10:12 PM
Well since Ive been invited by the Calm one... I will look into airfares and see how we get on should be able to wing it... will depend on flights and arrivals and such but if I can get a flight after work on the Friday spend the weekend and fly back Sundy night should be a goer

Just need to figure sleeping arrangements... Im docile quiet (yeah I actually am quiet retiring type of fella) relaxed dont snore spit fart (much :; ) drink a little (read 3 pot screamer! :q ) dont spread out and take over the place non demanding... oh and friendly!! :2tsup: so any single good lookin sheilas with a spare bed?? :U :U :U Just pullin yer leg... well... ummm errr I will need a bed so... to sleep in yer wombats!!! :roll: strewth minds above yer navels fellas :doh:

oh!!! Im also domesticated!! Can clean dishes vacuum make beds cook (can I cook!!!) and I can lift the lid on the dunny!! oh and lower it again :;

And David your right mate... a break would be bloody awesome!!! :2tsup:

Calm
12th September 2008, 10:25 PM
Well since Ive been invited by the Calm one... I will look into airfares and see how we get on should be able to wing it... will depend on flights and arrivals and such but if I can get a flight after work on the Friday spend the weekend and fly back Sundy night should be a goer

Just need to figure sleeping arrangements... Im docile quiet (yeah I actually am quiet retiring type of fella) relaxed dont snore spit fart (much :; ) drink a little (read 3 pot screamer! :q ) dont spread out and take over the place non demanding... oh and friendly!! :2tsup: so any single good lookin sheilas with a spare bed?? :U :U :U Just pullin yer leg... well... ummm errr I will need a bed so... to sleep in yer wombats!!! :roll: strewth minds above yer navels fellas :doh:

oh!!! Im also domesticated!! Can clean dishes vacuum make beds cook (can I cook!!!) and I can lift the lid on the dunny!! oh and lower it again :;

And David your right mate... a break would be bloody awesome!!! :2tsup:

Like i said in the PM Shane - you get here and the rest will happen ok at this end. Just give us a couple of days notice and i will see "who" can help. :2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers

jefferson
12th September 2008, 10:32 PM
So, to get back on track, I now have at least four problems:

- hollowing lidded boxes (as noted earlier)
- starting cuts with the gouge (Ern has suggested successfully that I start a cut with a parting tool)
- taking fine cuts with the gouge (do I use a smaller gouge?)
- rippling with the gouge

No doubt these are problems for novices like me, but the instruction would be invaluable.

Jeff

Calm
12th September 2008, 10:37 PM
So, to get back on track, I now have at least four problems:

- hollowing lidded boxes (as noted earlier)
- starting cuts with the gouge (Ern has suggested successfully that I start a cut with a parting tool)
- taking fine cuts with the gouge (do I use a smaller gouge?)
- rippling with the gouge

No doubt these are problems for novices like me, but the instruction would be invaluable.

Jeff

My suggestion would be - send the VL300 to my palce and i will check that most of the problems are not in the machinery:D:D:D

Never did get that address:doh::doh:

Cheers and see you there jeff

jefferson
12th September 2008, 11:29 PM
I think I've said this previously, but the old hands out there can be very cheeky.

My VL300 is suffering from novice usage no doubt. But, with the help of forum members, I will turn it to good use. Eventually.

Problem no 5: dust extraction.

I've got a 15 amp cyclone waiting in the wings and would welcome any thoughts at the turnfest. I'll try to bring down some pics, so you all know the possible layout.

Jeff

Sturdee
13th September 2008, 06:00 PM
I think I've said this previously, but the old hands out there can be very cheeky.

I'm not an old hand at turning but I think I can handle those cheeky ones :D, so I'm coming together with my daughter who has taken up turning.

Peter.

Chipman
13th September 2008, 06:17 PM
Me too!:2tsup:

I would love to come... can make it on the Sunday.. I haven't done much turning lately... been busy with toddler toys etc but as mentioned earlier...I would love to improve my finishing and polishing techniques... Maybe I will turn up something and bring it with me to practice on if that's ok.

Regards,

Chipman:)

Cliff Rogers
13th September 2008, 10:07 PM
I'm not an old hand at turning but I think I can handle those cheeky ones :D, so I'm coming together with my daughter who has taken up turning.

Peter.

Good for you Sturdee. :2tsup:

Sturdee
13th September 2008, 11:02 PM
Good for you Sturdee. :2tsup:

Thanks Cliff. I've had a lathe (then basic Taiwannese model) for about 15 years and a basic set of cheap chisels which I've hardly used as I never really got the urge to do it much on it, so it was relegated to the under stairs section of the workshop.

Had to make room in the main part of the workshop and relocate the lathe to make it more comfortable for her to use.

Since starting on it a few weeks ago (after watching Norm Abrams on NYW do it) she's turned a few bats and some captive rings type rattle and has started on a bowl. Not bad for being self taught so some expert guidance should be great. Any tips would be great.

Peter.

tea lady
13th September 2008, 11:34 PM
Hey Steurdee, Tell her "go girrrrl" from tea lady.:2tsup:

rodent
18th September 2008, 12:48 AM
Hello hello , yes the computers working now . Have to kick it harder next time . Ive now recovered from turn around at Philip Island and we (Crazyscew my sister and my self ) have just sighned the paper work for our new rental at Seaford . So we start shifting on saturday should be done by the time the event is on . SO COUNT Jess , Crazyscew and my self in . Jefferson ill bring my orland tool along 3/4 inch in diameter my small orland 1/2 inch and the tool skew is still wishing he still had of mine 3/4 inch diameter articulated head tool , ok .:2tsup:

Grumpy John
18th September 2008, 02:30 PM
Crazyscew my sister and my self have just sighned the paper work for our new rental at Seaford .

Looks like we're gonna be neighbours. Send me a PM when you get settled and I'll forward my contact details.

Cheers
JG

Anne Munro
19th September 2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the invite. I would love to be there. However I leave on October 17th with my car on The Spirit of Tasmania. I have two weeks long service leave and the object is to start with an empty car, travel around the fair island and fill it up with all different Tassie woods. If anyone has any suggestions or contacts of where to go I would be very pleased to hear from you. Cheers Anne

rsser
19th September 2008, 07:23 PM
Nice.

Can recommend Chris at Cockatoo Timbers in the NW ... but go there with a clear idea of what you want, to get the best. (Added: when I was there all the well-advertised places had ordinary stuff that was no better and no cheaper than on the mainland; and almost all green ffs).

And drop in on forum member PTC in Forrest nearby. Damn nice guy.

jefferson
19th September 2008, 07:24 PM
Rodent, (it feels wrong calling you that)

I look forward to seeing you work the Oland tool. Are you offering to give us a demo on hollowing with it? (That's one of my issues for the turnfest). I hope so!

Jeff

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th September 2008, 09:12 PM
I thought he was taking an orland tool? That'd be interesting; I've never seen one of them before! :D:p

Geof Ford
19th September 2008, 10:45 PM
Looking forward to this weekend, will be able to meet turning enthusiasts,I'm coming.
Geof Ford

Cliff Rogers
19th September 2008, 10:51 PM
....turning enthusiasts,....

Now that is a quaint term for sickos. :D

rsser
20th September 2008, 07:28 AM
I thought he was taking an orland tool? That'd be interesting; I've never seen one of them before! :D:p

Made in Dooblin.

RETIRED
21st September 2008, 11:41 AM
:bump:

Robomanic
21st September 2008, 10:23 PM
Hi ,

I knew Tooradin sounded familiar - I'm from East Gippsland originally. Count me in for Saturday.

Cheers,

thumbsucker
22nd September 2008, 05:31 PM
As I total novice turner I enjoyed the last turnfest I went to and would be keen to come and have a look. I am keen to see a bowl turned, I saw a little of it at Dj's but would love to see more. Other things that would be fascinating is how you do those twisted spiral like a double helix, and turning multiple items, and how you get all the shapes, repeated again and again over lots of pieces all at the same place.

I would be keen for two days, if you have space, I can pitch my small tent and camp out.

Only thing is I need to find a lift. Anyone coming from the Melbourne west?

RETIRED
22nd September 2008, 06:21 PM
You don't need a tent Eli. We have room in the" Staff Amenities" wing. Will need a mattress and Sleeping bag though.
I can pick you up at Cranbourne Station if you like.

thumbsucker
22nd September 2008, 06:27 PM
The accommodation sounds good.

Train sounds OK, but will still try to see if I can hitch a ride, with someone. However if all else fails Cranbourne Railway Station (Cranbourne) is manageable.

RETIRED
25th September 2008, 06:04 PM
Ok Folks.

Looks like we will be turning a lidded container and solving the problems of rippling and tool techniques.

Sharpening.

A bowl from start to finish including the finishing which should answer a few questions.

Copy turning of spindles by hand.

Barley twist and multiple helixes. I will need a volunteer for this one.

Because of what people want to see I suggest a 9.00 AM start and just keep going until we stop.

tea lady
25th September 2008, 07:50 PM
Ok Folks.

Looks like we will be turning a lidded container and solving the problems of rippling and tool techniques.

Sharpening.

A bowl from start to finish including the finishing which should answer a few questions.

Because of what people want to see I suggest a 9.00 AM start and just keep going until we stop.
So are we going both days? or just one?:? Sunday?"hmm"

thumbsucker
25th September 2008, 08:28 PM
Sounds good, I would be keen on the sharpening, when I last tried to sharpen turning chisels I blunted them :doh:.

I will bring one of the she oak blanks that RSSER :2tsup: gave me for bowl practice.

If I had a car, I could bring lots of English Ash for spindle turning practice.

Waldo
29th September 2008, 09:35 PM
I'll be there, probably for Saturday night too as I discovered I'm all on my lonesome for a week. I'll bring myself and a bloke who looks a bit like me, just shorter. :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th September 2008, 09:49 PM
:rotfl:

Robomanic
30th September 2008, 01:01 AM
Ok Folks.

I can help with multiple start helixes but i have not actually done any barley twists. What would be required of this volunteer you mention?

RETIRED
30th September 2008, 07:54 AM
I can help with multiple start helixes but i have not actually done any barley twists. What would be required of this volunteer you mention?Just to show how it is done.

Robomanic
1st October 2008, 12:09 AM
Just to show how it is done.
No prob, i'll bring some bits and bobs along.

RETIRED
7th October 2008, 07:40 AM
Bit of a bump and some further info.

BYO Lunch and drinks. Coffee and tea will be provided. BBQ is available if you need it.

It might pay to bring a chair as well. We have a few but not many.

For those that want to I will spring a BBQ tea on the Saturday night and if people are early enough on Sunday, a brekky of toast, Bacon and eggs.

Thumbsucker: Did you get a lift?

Grumpy John
7th October 2008, 07:52 AM
Ok Folks.

Sharpening.

Is this agenda set in concrete, if not I would like to see a square edge bowl being turned (with or without safety wings glued on). I could bring a small bowl I've started if you like.

thumbsucker
7th October 2008, 12:37 PM
I have not found a lift, and I was hoping to bring some English Ash spindles and a large piece of Jarrah that is old and dry and would be great for a bowl.

I can make it to any suburban train station if someone is willing to give me a lift or is traveling through the West of Melbourne.

RETIRED
7th October 2008, 12:39 PM
Is this agenda set in concrete, if not I would like to see a square edge bowl being turned (with or without safety wings glued on). I could bring a small bowl I've started if you like.Nope. We will do what we can so bring it along.

DJ’s Timber
7th October 2008, 12:56 PM
I can make it to any suburban train station if someone is willing to give me a lift or is traveling through the West of Melbourne.

I could pick you up from Ringwood Station

Robomanic
7th October 2008, 01:00 PM
I have not found a lift, and I was hoping to bring some English Ash spindles and a large piece of Jarrah that is old and dry and would be great for a bowl.

I can make it to any suburban train station if someone is willing to gibe me a lift or is traveling through the West of Melbourne.

I am happy to give you a lift but I am over east and I would be leaving pretty early Sat morning. Ideally you would need to be at Heathmont stn about 7:30-8am. :oo:

Hold out for a better offer but it's there if you need it.

thumbsucker
7th October 2008, 01:36 PM
I have sent a PM to DJ.

DJ’s Timber
7th October 2008, 01:45 PM
Looks like I'm definitely in for the 18th as I'll be giving TS a lift

tea lady
7th October 2008, 02:56 PM

I could pick you up from Belgrave station. Its not out of my way, as I live there.:cool:

Stuart
7th October 2008, 03:40 PM
Drat - I need to clone myself 2 or 3 times. Will see what happens, but I think I've used up way too many leave passes already recently - think I'm running in quite a deficit that even extra bits for the Pandora bracelet doesn't get me back in the black!

RETIRED
7th October 2008, 06:25 PM
I could pick you up from Belgrave station. Its not out of my way, as I live there.:cool:Strange,very strange.:rolleyes:

Gra
7th October 2008, 06:50 PM
I could pick you up from Belgrave station. Its not out of my way, as I live there.:cool:

Im going to leave that one alone......

I would offer as well, but not sure where I will be coming from (Might be on Phillip Island for the weekend)

Grumpy John
7th October 2008, 07:15 PM

Belgrave being the end of the line there'd always be a few carriages to choose from I 'spose :D. You'd have up and dressed before the first train left though.:q

rsser
7th October 2008, 10:45 PM
I may be able to help TS .. if you can get over here again, and if I am able to drive.

tea lady
7th October 2008, 10:54 PM
Strange,very strange.:rolleyes:that's why I fit in so well here I guess.:q

Im going to leave that one alone......

I would offer as well, but not sure where I'm coming from (Might be on Phillip Island for the weekend)
I'll leave that one alone too.:D

Belgrave being the end of the line there'd always be a few carriages to choose from I 'spose :D. You'd have up and dressed before the first train left though.:q
:sigh: Puffing Billy carriages are quite comfortable, and start a bit later.:;

I dunno.:rolleyes: One little slip.

thumbsucker
7th October 2008, 11:32 PM
I have made arrangements for wood to be moved by Waldo tomorrow to Dj's place and then for Dj to pick me up from Ringwood Station on the 18th.

RETIRED
8th October 2008, 07:20 AM
I have made arrangements for wood to be moved by Waldo tomorrow to Dj's place and then for Dj to pick me up from Ringwood Station on the 18th.Beauty. All settled.:D

dai sensei
8th October 2008, 06:03 PM
Just talked to the bosses and got their agreement to extend my leave by another 2 weeks because of the work I have been doing whilst on leave :2tsup:. My mum's birthday is next week, so, I've booked to come down again to Melb Thursday 16 and staying until Saturday 25.

So, I can get to this event, and the WWW show on Friday :eheheh::groove:

Please PM your address , and tell me what ever extra I need to bring.

Cheers

rsser
8th October 2008, 06:45 PM
It'd be good to meet you again Neil.

I'll be driving down from the N of Melb and am happy to provide lifts for the Sat.

Skew, you getting a leave pass for this?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th October 2008, 06:54 PM
I'm hoping to get there.

But I refuse to make a firm commitment on the grounds it may irritate Murphy. :rolleyes:

thumbsucker
8th October 2008, 07:06 PM
I gave the two pieces of She Oak from RSSER to Waldo to give to Dj's Timber to bring to the turnfest. As part of the bowl turning exercise. Just turning it down to over sized.

I might bring some Cooktown Ironwood to turn on the day.

jefferson
8th October 2008, 07:12 PM
Ern,

It seems like your back from your overseas jaunt?

Please (again) let me know what I need to bring down. I've got two scrapers that is going to tune, plenty of timber and not a lot of technique. Should I bring down my latest creations for review?

Otherwise, I'll bring my Ci1 and Ci2 roughers down, just in case....

Jeff

rsser
8th October 2008, 07:59 PM
I'm hoping to get there.

But I refuse to make a firm commitment on the grounds it may irritate Murphy. :rolleyes:

I've found that a few pints of Guiness do wonders for Murphy.

He forgets the law named after him and starts to run off at the mouth, meantime you sneak away. He doesn't need an audience.

rsser
8th October 2008, 08:01 PM
Hi Jeff,

Yep, back in the land of vegemite thanks (poxy stuff that it is).

So what did you want to learn at the turn-on?

Allan at Wallan
8th October 2008, 08:21 PM
Count me in :2tsup:

Will come for the weekend and looking
forward to meeting the Forumites, sharing
some turning ideas, telling clean jokes,
and generally enjoying your hospitality.

Ok, I lie, I don't know any clean jokes.:D

Regards,

Allan

Robomanic
8th October 2008, 11:02 PM
Ern,
Otherwise, I'll bring my Ci1 and Ci2 roughers down, just in case....

I'd love to have a play with a C1. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th October 2008, 11:49 PM
I'd love to have a play with a C1. :D

:yes: I missed out last time.

Bloody Murphy. :~

Waldo
8th October 2008, 11:51 PM
:minigun: Murphy

:2tsup:

jefferson
9th October 2008, 07:51 AM
Ern and Co,

I will definitely bring down my Easywood roughers, plus the spare DVDs for distribution.

What am I hoping to learn? Lots!

First up, how to use those new beaut tools you've made for me Ern. I am really hoping that they will be useful in smoothing the inside face of my lids etc.

Hollowing end grain is next, as I've got some beautiful 4 by 4s to turn into lidded boxes etc. If someone can show me the way Richard Raffan does that back hollowing technique, the 400km trip will be worth it. (Seeing you guys is enough anyway).

Starting cuts with the gouge, another free-hand sharpening lesson from . Maybe we can finish that burl from the last turnfest? (DJ, if you can bring it down please, so I can butcher it at home).

Jeff

rsser
9th October 2008, 08:29 AM
OK, I'll bring down some 4x4 of something so you can practice end-grain hollowing with the Oland tool.

Skew's the guru with this tool so if he's there let's ask him to show you.

can show you back hollowing.

DJ’s Timber
9th October 2008, 08:52 AM
Maybe we can finish that burl from the last turnfest? (DJ, if you can bring it down please, so I can butcher it at home).

Jeff

Noted :2tsup:

OK, I'll bring down some 4x4 of something so you can practice end-grain hollowing with the Oland tool.

Got a heap of Redgum 4x4's if you want to save on yours Ern

RETIRED
9th October 2008, 08:55 AM
Who needs the address?

RETIRED
9th October 2008, 09:17 AM
Looks like a very busy weekend coming up.:D