PDA

View Full Version : Importing exotic woods

Clajo92
8th September 2008, 11:42 PM
Hello

I have been thinking about getting some exotic woods imported so that i can turn some fancy pens/bowl....... i dont know if customs will have a problemw ith this or not. i am in western australia so does that effect it even more. i was just wondering if anyone has been in similiar sircumstance and knows the answer

Ashes
9th September 2008, 08:04 AM
Generally wood that has any bark, visibile signs of borers will be held in quarantine and you will be contacted with the option of them treating it for $X or having it destroyed/returned for $X. Usually precut pen blanks go through OK. Most of the big sellers OS know this and do the right thing. My father has been caught a few times by new sellers sending unprepared chunks.

I would think wood for bowls would more often than not be subject to treatment and you might find this isn't economical by the time you factor in postage, treatment and buying wood essentially unseen.

Rum Pig
9th September 2008, 08:42 AM
Do a search on this forum as I'm sure that it has been discussed before. From what I can remember the timber had to be kiln dried and treated for insects before it could come into Aus but any signs of borers it will be stopped as Ashes said.
unless you have a contact OS then you maybe better off trying local timber supply's and I think there maybe someone on this forum that imports timber and sells it. That way they have all the stress of importing timber.:D
And do not forget Australia has A great rang of fantastic timber home grown.:D

Rum Pig
9th September 2008, 08:50 AM
did a quick search for importing timber and there were a few worth looking at. Sorry I do not know how to ad the link yet.

Hambone
13th September 2008, 04:24 PM
try www.members.optusnet.com.au/supremewood/index.html (http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/supremewood/index.html) or email [email protected] ([email protected].,au)

Ron

Shutterbug
13th September 2008, 06:32 PM
I can only add to Ashes good response by saying that Customs wont be interested in it unless the value is over $1,000.
AQIS (Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service) usually view undressed wood with suspicion, because it is harder to detect borer holes. Smaller quantities of dressed timber that can be easily inspected and doesn't have to be unstacked is more likely to get through unchallenged.
AQIS is Federal and generally has uniform rules they follow Australia wide.
BUT, different states can have their own interpretation of those rules.

Mike